Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 3-17-10

Moderator: Roadpounder

Richard

Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 3-17-10

Post by Richard »

Guys - The forcast is looking quite favorable for Wednesday so be looking to go....
I'll post the exact location in a few days. I like to give you a bit of anticipation!

OK, it's a go! Here's the deal. It's not where I originally intended to go but I'm saving that one for a full fledged 70 degree day or better. Since the weather gurus' tell us that it will be near 55 this day it still should feel very comfortable considering what we have been thru this winter. And since we'll be on daylite savings time wednesday, the morning temp should not be quite as sharp as it has been earlier so I'm expecting a decent turnout here.
It was nearly three years ago since we were here last. That was back on 5-30-07 but the same folks are still running the place and they remember us and are looking forward to our visit again. There are quite a few ways to get there but I think I'll head out hwy 4, go up to Lorraine and over since Joyce will probably want to ride her new 150 scoot. Traffic should be a bit lighter by going this way.

Here's the place..............................C & V Convenience Store
608 N. Charles Street
Holyrood, Ks. 67450
785-252-3407

As always..........................ride careful, ride safe and I'll see you there.
Richard

Re: Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 3-17-10

Post by Richard »

OK Guys, someone tell me what went wrong! It was suposed to be sunny and near 60 degrees. WOW, what a shocker and of all days that I entice Joyce to try a longer ride on her scoot. I'm sure ice was forming on my lower lip not far out of town. Joyce has a condition that constricts the blood vessels and I was sure she would begin vibrating more than her little engine that was running to the max today.
I don't know whether it was good fortune or not but just as we were leaving Lindsborg heading West on Hwy 4, we got behind a Co-op truck hauling a 'BIG' tired arm fertilizer sprayer that could barely pull the load. We stayed behind this rig for going on 15 miles until we got to the big hill at the turn to Hwy 141 leading across Kanopolis dam. The rig struggles making the hill so I felt sure Joyce and her little 150 had enough poop to finally pass since the rig was struggling to maintain 40 mph.
Indeed it did and the three of us went by with me leading then Joyce and Roger following behind. I'm sure Roger was wondering what had taken me so long to pass the giant outfit but I had been pondering the power Joyce could coax from those one hundred and fifty cc's. I didn't want to leave her in a situation where she couldn't get around and then not get back.
Finally around, we quickly found out that at speed, the wind chill was even more unbearable. Fortunately, only a few miles further up the road was the little burg of Geneseo. I pulled in and stopped knowing that Joyce was by now shaking violently. Turned out, the heated gear had made a remarkable improvement in her situation. Of course she had a base layer, a heated vest, a leather over jacket and a Alpinestars riding jacket over that she even had her nylon rain jacket and along with that a fluffy neck scarf. It was quite a site. She said later that when she passed the giant truck, she couldn't even turn her head to see if she had passed the thing. She did, obviously but not by much!
I needed the stop as much as she did because I had erroneously believed the forcast and had worn my summer riding boots and my feet were freezing but not as much as my fingers which were covered with only unlined work gloves. Bad mistake!
Two cups of coffee later that we had been charged for three cup worth we found out later we were warm enough to begin the venture again.
We were better than halfway by now and I intended to stick to my original plan and hit Lorraine and go across. Whoever it was that had told me that the road was paved was sadly mistaken. We continued our little group ride North and eventually intersected with Hwy 159 and backtracked to Holyrood arriving before noon but not before some of the guys had already eaten. Actually, after arriving and seeing the condition Dean Malm was in, I thought we did remarkably well. Dean had left the house with only a light shirt and jacket. He was shaking like a concrete vibrator and I thought he was going to shake the patty clear out of his burger.
Only eight of us braved the cold but a couple of others gave it a good try but turned around at Ellsworth and headed toward the warmth of the house I was told.
Rides like this are miserable at the time but it is amazing how heroic they become when we embelish upon them as time goes on. Here's to my new heros....Roger Beckley, Charlie Malm, Dean Malm, Evan Jones, Leonard Williams, Ron Caffrey and of course Joyce Kurtz.
It's never too cold for Ice Cream so after lunch we retraced our steps somewhat and ended back in Geneseo for our favorite dessert. By then, a couple of blue spaces were beginning to appear here and there and by the time we hit the garage, the temperature had warmed up to what would have been nice at the beginning of this chilly day!
And believe it or not, Joyce's little scoot didn't drain the entire battery using her electric vest. After 110 miles, the Battery Tender quickly recharged her drain in less than 20 minutes. On a longer trip...who knows but she thinks this is far enough at these kind of temps!
Last edited by Richard on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wil6831

Re: Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 3-17-10

Post by wil6831 »

The ride back to Salina wasn't all that bad and I even saw patches of blue before I got home. I was sitting with Ron from Hutch, maybe he didn't count as a hero because he had a heated jacket liner and was on a BMW. He looked fresh as a daisy when he came in and my hands had just got back the feeling.
Joyce is my hero and I'll bet she was wondering why you didn't pass that truck.
Leonard, Hull, GA
2004 Royal Enfield Bullet (gone)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (sold)
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100