Lunch Ride: Buster's Smokehouse - Sun City, KS - Sept. 3

A place to list other riding events. Anyone is welcome to announce any kind of group ride - whether it is for just a handful of riders or for a major event.
roginoz

Post by roginoz »

Saturday, September 3, 2011- Noon
Buster’s Smokehouse Bar and Grill
Sun City, Ks

This is a lunch ride-to-eat that I've organized for the MSTA and ST-Owners groups. We usually have a ROMEO or two join us, and everyone's welcome.

September should be a little cooler; not a sure thing, but the highs average in the upper eighties for Medicine Lodge (the closest reporting station) early in the month. September 3 is the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, but I think that we can still draw a decent crowd.

We’ll meet at Busters (http://www.busterssmokehouse.com/) for lunch at noon. There's an old style, but well maintained, tavern on the west side of the building. This connects to the restaurant on the east side. (You can eat in either area.) The restaurant serves barbeque and a good variety of sides. The food is excellent. (The South Central ROMEOs had lunch at Buster's earlier this year.)

Sun City is a "ghost" town west and north of Medicine Lodge (as are Forest City and Lake City, both on the road to Sun City.) You get to Sun City by turning west from US 281 onto River Road near the north edge of Medicine Lodge. It's about twenty miles to Sun City from Medicine Lodge, and River Road actually offers some curves and a few changes in elevation. There's virtually no traffic on the two lane blacktop, and it's a nice ride.

You can also reach Sun City from the north. The ride isn’t as good, but the scenery is better. Turn south off of US 400 on to US 281 and go west (through Coates) and south on the county roads. There's not much in Sun City other than a church and Buster's. River Road is Main Street, and Buster's is the non-abandoned building on the north side of the road.

I’ll buy lunch for the rider traveling the greatest distance. (I recommend the Angus brisket and sausage sandwich...) I'll also buy a drink for anyone who shows up in a ROMEO shirt.

Buster’s Smokehouse Bar and Grill
104 West Main Street
Sun City, KS 67143
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
Leathercheeks

Re: Lunch Ride: Buster's Smokehouse - Sun City, KS - Sept. 3

Post by Leathercheeks »

You should have met BUster. He was a WW II vet and was wounded in Europe. I met him years ago when riding my Ten Gai (KLR 650) to a FSSNOC event at Greensburg. I got tired of the show and rode off to Sun City. He had the largest beer schooners I had ever seen.
roginoz

Post by roginoz »

I thought I'd bump this thread, in case anyone hadn't seen it. It looks like we're dropping out of the triple digits (according to the Weather Channel) for Saturday's ride: only 95 degrees, and just "mostly" sunny. Plenty of Gatorade along the route (how did we exist before convenience stores?) and no reason to hurry.

By the way, Leathercheeks, they still have the huge schooners (and some smaller ones); so cold the beer starts to freeze in them...
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
Woody469

Post by Woody469 »

When are you leaving Wichita? Do you have a group riding out from here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roginoz

Post by roginoz »

A friend and I will be leaving my garage (1510 Haskell) at 9:30 AM. We're going to take the northern route (US 400 to 281, then the county roads east through Coates and south to Sun City. We'll probably take the southern route River Road/US 160/K2/K42 back in to Wichita. Join us for the ride out if you'd like.
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350