SIGHT & SOUND, LANCASTER, PA

This forum is for riders in the Shenandoah Valley.

Moderator: shoresr

shoresr

SIGHT & SOUND, LANCASTER, PA

Post by shoresr »

We had a spectacular trip to Lancaster, PA to see the production of "Daniel" at the SIGHT AND SOUND theater. Not only were we "whowed" by the Sight & Sound theater we saw and experienced many other attactions in the area. Lancaster is only 146 miles from Lake Frederick and can be reached by interstates or scenic backroads through the Amish country.

We arrived in Lancaster for lunch at Lancaster Dispensing Co, 35 North Market St. https://www.dispensingco.com/ , which was adjacent to the Lancaster Central Market. THE OLDEST PUBLICLY OWNED CONTINUOUSLY RUNNING FARMER’S MARKET IN AMERICA https://centralmarketlancaster.com/
b001image.jpg
b021image.jpg
b011image.jpg
b017image.jpg
The Dispensing Co restaurant was an excellant place to eat. The market was very nice, but definitely not up to the level of the other markets we would visit on our trip.

After lunch we headed to Sight & Sound theater for the 3:00 pm perfermance of "Dainiel". They did a good job on the stage adaptation, but I was overwhelmed by the Sight & Sound Theater. I had never seen a theater that could do so much, and so easily. It was a live performance with horses, a camel, llama, sheep and even white birds flying over the audience. Three hundred wings and over 100 beards were crafted for the cast. 13,000 yards of fabric were purchased. 140 people worked behind the scences. You have to see this to believe it.
b013image.jpg
b018image.jpg
b022image.jpg
b004image.jpg
b003image.jpg
b002image.jpg
IMG_1756.JPG
IMG_1756.JPG (205.44 KiB) Viewed 79 times

We were very pleased with the Inn at Leola Villages, 38 Deborah Dr., https://www.theinnatleolavillage.com/en/ Plus it had a nice dining room, bar and a coffee shop for breakfast. Once we were in, we didn't have to get out again.
inn-at-leola-village_exterior_patio_01.jpg
inn-at-leola-village_exterior_patio_01.jpg (21.02 KiB) Viewed 89 times
b015image.jpg
b031image.jpg
1465A480-69D2-4C4B-98E3-FA4FF7BCFCBA.JPG
1465A480-69D2-4C4B-98E3-FA4FF7BCFCBA.JPG (195.6 KiB) Viewed 79 times
After a very nice dinner and breakfast at the Inn we headed to the Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery where during the "hands-on " tour they tried to teach me, unsucessfully I might add, how to twist a pretzel. :lol: :o It was a good tour. I learned a lot about pretzel baking and we had a lot of fun.
b023image.jpg
b020image.jpg
b014image.jpg
b026image.jpg
b025image.jpg
b016image.jpg
b024image.jpg
After filling up on pretzels, Betsy located INNA's, a place that served one of her favorites, "PIEROGIES", then Jeanmarie and Jon took us to the Kitchen Kettle Village, the home of over thirty shops and restaurants. Lots of local crafts, main handmade by the Amish, and a market that offered all sorts of local produced delicacies.
IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG (113.52 KiB) Viewed 83 times
b029image.jpg
b005image.jpg
b010image.jpg
b009image.jpg
b028image.jpg
b006image.jpg
After a very busy day we rested up and headed off to the Dutch Apple Dinner Theater where we saw the musical, "RAGTIME". No matter whether you liked the play or not, you had to be impressed by the talent and artistry of the the performers. This was not the typical dinner theater I was use to, and this was in Lancaster, PA. It was fantastic.
IMG_1799.JPG
IMG_1799.JPG (200.13 KiB) Viewed 83 times
This trip was a real step back in time and an exposure to a different culture. The Amish farms are magnificent, so big and so well maintained.
b012image.jpg
b030image.jpg
b027image.jpg
b008image.jpg
b007image.jpg
b019image.jpg
Arriving in Lancaster County in the 1720s, the oldest and largest Amish community in the country is the Amish of Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
How can you tell if you are Amish or Mennonite?
What's the Difference Between Amish and Mennonite? A Complete ...
Old Order Mennonites allow technology in the home, as well as the use of cell phones. In addition, Old Order Mennonites worship in meetinghouses. Amish people tend to avoid electricity, and almost every sect chooses to worship in the home instead of a meetinghouse.
We made changes to the itinerary on the "fly" thanks to the suggestions of the group.  Only made a good ride better
We made changes to the itinerary on the "fly" thanks to the suggestions of the group. Only made a good ride better
IMG_3410.JPG (192.5 KiB) Viewed 34 times
Parkville Rider

Re: SIGHT & SOUND, LANCASTER, PA

Post by Parkville Rider »

Great photos and write up about your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gary D.
a.k.a. Romeo Map Genie
Parkville MO
2014 BMW K1600GT
shoresr

Re: SIGHT & SOUND, LANCASTER, PA

Post by shoresr »

Thanks Gary for your kind words. It is good to hear from you. It was a special trip. We really enjoyed it. I have never seen a production like Sight and Sound. They have a second location in Branson. If you get a chance, you ought to try to see one of their productions.