North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 11/8/23

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 11/8/23

Post by Roadpounder »

Here's one we haven't visited for a while. The venue is pretty small so we may have to kind of filter through, but as I recall the food was great. The owner is of Mediterranean decent and the food is typical of that area. I received many complements on the food on our last trip and I must say that I was NOT disappointed. The restaurant is situated in a small building between the gas station and the Motel at the intersection of K18 and K14. A nice fall ride. The weather is supposed to be in the mid 60s starting out cloudy, but breaking up after morning.

It looks like tomorrow will be OK. At the world peace summit I was getting a little concerned when the fog started rolling in. But it's all burned off and the forecast is looking good. I decided to break out the Guzzi Quota this morning, just to blow out some of the cobwebs. Well, really because I needed to go grocery shopping after breakfast and, frankly the Guzzi California is starting to scare me. All the Guzzi Gurus I've talked to recommend swapping out the cam chain at about 85,000 miles, and this one is pushing 90,000 miles. It's making some rather disquieting noises from the cam chain area and I really don't want the engine to nuke out on a ride. The Quota only has 30,000 on the clock so I feel safer. Now my dilemma is, do I burn up my dirt tires on the road, or do I put Suzi out on the road for the rides.

It looks like I won't have to worry about burning up my dirt tires on the road. I decided to do the first oil change on my Quota since I bought it. All was well until I drained the oil. when I pulled the drain plug I found metal chips stuck to it. :shock: The drain plug has a magnet in it to capture anything of that sort that may swim by. The fact that they stuck to the magnet means that the chips are steel. NEVER a good sign to find chips in the oil. I then tried to remove the alternator cover to access the nut to hand turn the engine. Of course, three of the four screws twisted off. :x Things are starting to go down hill. :x Now I'm into the books to find out what the inside of the engine consists of. I've mever been that deep into a Guzzi before. But it looks like I won't be riding the Quota for a while. :cry: It looks like Suzi is going to get plenty of exercise. At any rate Lincoln is about 45 minutes away from Salina so I figure that if we launch from the Quality Inn @ 12:15 it should get us there on time.

TIME....................1:00

Here it is..............Post Rock Restaurant
1907 E. Highway 18,
Lincoln, KS

Phone (785) 420-1081

Facebook Page............https://www.facebook.com/postrockmotel/

Web Page.............

Map site..........https://tinyurl.com/wd4hsez
ricardoc

Re: North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 11/8/23

Post by ricardoc »

Hello there!
My name’s Ricardo. Moved from Florida recently.
I was a member of the Freedom Riders in Gainesville and I’m glad and thankful for the add.
I live in Lincoln so I’ll be riding a full minute to attend lunch at the Post Rock Restaurant.
Roadpounder

Post by Roadpounder »

Welcome aboard Ricardo. Look forward to meeting you. I'll be riding an old maroon Suzuki GS650L with a dog carrier on the back for my riding buddy Fritz.
Kurt K

Post by Kurt K »

As some of you know we had a little accident on Wednesday's ride to Lincoln. A member lost his footing in the gravel parking lot and dropped his bike. Unfortunately, his bike then knocked over my bike. I was pretty upset at the time, as more stress/drama was not something I needed right now, but this was unintentional and accidents happen. I apologize to anyone that may have been offended by my poor reaction(s).

Insurance companies have been notified and the process has started. The plastics will get fixed and all will be fine.

Everyone drops their bike eventually. We deal with it and move on. Thanks