SPRUCE KNOB - HIGHEST POINT IN WEST VIRGINIA

This forum is for riders in the Shenandoah Valley.

Moderator: shoresr

shoresr

SPRUCE KNOB - HIGHEST POINT IN WEST VIRGINIA

Post by shoresr »

Warren, Gary, Charlie, Jean Marie, Jeff
Warren, Gary, Charlie, Jean Marie, Jeff
bb05.jpg
ab16.jpg
ab14.jpg
and Roger
and Roger
WHAT A GRAND RIDE :!: :!: :!:

Gary, Warren and Tom called for a ride and it was a perfect day. My suggestion for a ride was accepted, so off we went. Gary, Ralph, Jean Marie, Warren, Charlie and I headed off on our "grand ride". My objective was to show the group Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virgina. We left at 9:30 am but before we got to Moorefield, we had a malfunction on one of the motorcycles. Ralph had a problem with the shifting lever on his V-Strom. No, it wasn't a HARLEY :o Warren, who was tail-gunner stopped to help Ralph. Thru our Cardo headsets, Warren told the group to continue the ride and he would stay with Ralph.

We hopped on Corridor H and made a beeline to Moorefield, WV. While we were stopped at the Sheetz in Moorefield Warren called me and told me he and Ralph had "patched" the bike. Ralph was headed home and Warren was coming to join us. :D
We didn't see anyone climb today
We didn't see anyone climb today
ab06.jpg
ab08.jpg
ab07.jpg
bb04.jpg
After Warren joined us, we headed Seneca Rocks for lunch. And behold, what would be find, but JEFF :shock: Jeff, had an appointment earlier in the day, but decided to join us at lunch. :P

After lunch at Seneca Rocks, (Note there is only one restaurant open. The other restaurant has not reopened since it closed because of covid.) we enjoyed a nice ride to Spruce Knob. The road up the mountain to Spruce Knob is exhilarating. The road is smooth, but very narrow with a hugh drop-off. :o :shock:
Charlie heading to the TOWER
Charlie heading to the TOWER
ab09.jpg
bb01.jpg
ab15.jpg
bb02.jpg
I think everyone enjoyed the view from the tower at Spruce Knob, as well as the ride to get there.

From Spruce Knob we headed to the Lost River State Park. The road was rough with many hair pin turns, but the views, if you had time to look :? :shock: :lol: were spectacular.
ab03.jpg
Thanks Jeff, for the pictures.  Jeff took most of the pictures of today's ride.
Thanks Jeff, for the pictures. Jeff took most of the pictures of today's ride.
ab04.jpg
ab05.jpg
Of course, when Warren's along, every ride ends with ICE CREAM :!:

I really enjoyed the ride today. The weather was perfect and the scenery magnifient. Thanks for joining me. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Tail Gunner - Sweep
The Sweep Rider remains at the rear of the group. The Sweeper assures that no one gets stranded on the road and tries to maintain the "wholeness" of the group. The group is in effect sandwiched between the RC and Sweeper.

As noted on today's ride the Sweeper/Tail Gunner, next to the Road Captain is the most important member of a riding group. Warren followed the book. He assisted a rider with a mechanical problem. He communicated and advised the Ride Captain of the situation. After the situation was handled, he knew the route and rejoined the group. The Sweeper/Tail Gunner is an important job, it is not where you hangout and ride your own ;) Thank you, Warren, for handling this situation in such a professional manner. (I will never stop promoting the increased safety to our grouop of using Cardo Pak Talk Bold headsets)
schoolmaster

Re: SPRUCE KNOB - HIGHEST POINT IN WEST VIRGINIA

Post by schoolmaster »

Roger, I enjoy following your rides from afar. You have some fantastic riding opportunities in your area. Looks like this was a great one. BTW, I recently switched from Sena and bought a Packtalk Bold and really like it. But even with the mesh network I think I’m a still a bit “out of range” for a chat!😜
Mick L.
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster
shoresr

Re: SPRUCE KNOB - HIGHEST POINT IN WEST VIRGINIA

Post by shoresr »

Mick, good to hear from you. I am glad you enjoy my reports. I am ten minutes from the north end of Skyline drive. We have lots of good riding around here but I ride Skyline Drive, about 3 times a week. It is so different at sunrise or sunset, fall, winter, spring or summer.

Our group out here rides together. We have 12 - 14 who have Cardo Packtalk Bolds. It is a must for group riding. It makes group riding so much more enjoyable and a whole lot safer. We do have a problem with them once in awhile, but we are lucky to have a guy who has made it his specialty and so far we haven't had a problem he couldn't solve. Also, Cardo support, either on email or phone is very responsive. We love our Cardos.

Another thing you should look into is REVER. There is a subscription fee, but it is worth it. I use it to plan all my rides. It lets me pick the roads or you can let it pick the roads. Out here the "twisties" options finds some really good roads. You can plan a ride then share it with your co-riders, so everyone know how you are going. It has a tracking feature, that lets you track a ride and then save it and share it with you friends. With guys I share with, I know when they go out and where they go. If I like their ride, I can follow it.

I rode the Tail of the Dragon a couple of weeks ago. I am still trying to learn to ride a Gold Wing :roll: :o (2022 DCT Tour)

Thanks for your note

Roger S.
"A ROMEO FOREVER"
Lake Frederick, VA
Attachments
IMG_2176.JPG