North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 9/14/22

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 9/14/22

Post by Roadpounder »

This is the week of the ROMEO Rendezvous in Arkansas. Roger from the Wichita group set up with the Carriage Crossing in Yoder for those not headed for AR this week and he invited us to join them. It's been a couple years since we've been there and it looks like a great day for the ride so I set us up to meet them there. It's always been a good time and great food.

It looks like tomorrow will be a pretty good day for the ride to Yoder. It might be a little breezy on the way down, with some wind out of the south, but the ride back should be easy. It's not as far as I thought so it should only take about 90 minutes to get there comfortably. I'm guessing that if we launch from the Rodeway Inn @ 9:30, that should put us on target about on time.

Time....11:00

Carriage Crossing Restaurant
10002 S Yoder Rd. (K-96 & Yoder Road)
Yoder, KS

620-465-3612

Facebook Page............https://www.facebook.com/ccryoder/

Web Page.............www.carriagecrossingrestaurant.com

Map site.............https://tinyurl.com/wd4hsez

Today started out pretty normal, save for the earlier than usual launch time. So I wound up my motivation spring and got going. It didn't take long for Fritz to clue in on what day it was. I got the laundry out of the drier and got dressed. I turned on the TV only to find that they cut me off. I forgot to pay them again! :x Lacking time I vowed to rectify that problem after the ride. I went out to the garage to prep the bike for the ride, amid the panicked protestations of Fritz at the prospect of being left behind. The bike all set and Fritz on board I hit the starter. Suzi seemed a little less than cooperative. :? I finally got her to fire on 2 cylinders, which is her norm until the other 2 cylinders get the idea and come to life. But, alas, it was not to be. Yesterday I removed the left handle bar switch to clean and lube the blinker switch, which was getting sticky to the point of being inoperative. The connector for said switch is under the tank, and during my frenzied ripping of wires I think I may have disconnected one of the ignition coils. An easy fix, but consuming more time than I had at the moment. So I had to pry the Guzzi out of the garage and transfer all cargo and passengers to it. The frustration meter is starting to climb! :x I pulled into the Rodeway Inn to find I was #2 to arrive after Bill Gibbons. Soon others arrived. I had committed the route to to memory except for the last turn to Yoder. Somehow the name of the road escaped me. Lyle to the rescue. It's Red Rock road. Launch time came and I took the lead. This is Kansas. Construction is a given. But I didn't expect it right out of the chute. Just a few miles down old K81 We were stopped to wait for a pilot car. Frustration meter ticks up a couple notches. After what seemed like an eternity the pilot car arrives and guides us at a snails pace through the area of the worst destruction. Finally back up to speed I find myself stuck behind a utility van, the driver of which feared the engine would explode if he hit 56 MPH. Finally we came to McPherson and I prayed that he'd turn into town and not take the bypass. He did! THERE IS A GOD!! But my joy was soon dispelled. As soon as we got to US 56 we were confronted with the American version of the Great Wall of China. In my minds eye I could see a sign that said "ABANDON ALL HOPE, THOSE WHO VENTURE BEYOND THIS POINT!" Follow the detour signs. I must have misread one of them and turned early. A quick dog leg put us back on track. Finally we got to K61 and I could get the goose some exercise. We pulled through Inman and the rest of the trip looked easy. Just get past US 50 and keep an eye open for Red Rock road. Easy huh? I found Red Rock road just in time to go blasting past it. Some of the others found it and turned but several others and I had to make a U turn. Now I'm in about 4th or 5th place, but the rest of the trip is a piece of cake. I warned you not to follow me if I get lost. We got parked and I got Fritz settled and then noticed that everyone had disappeared. I had no one to hand the book off to. Well, it will have to wait until after I get the pictures taken. Once I got inside I I had pretty much settled on what I wanted. The strip steak had my mouth watering. I figured I deserved it after the harrowing journey I had just been through. I dug in with abandon and thoroughly enjoyed it. Norm Schmidt and I had a good time regaling each other with tales of our flying days. Before long norm and I realized that we were the only ROMEOs in the house. :o Time to settle up and head home. I saved a bite of my steak for Fritz and He got another morsel from Kai, so he hit the jackpot today. I decided to forgo the replay of the trip down and headed straight north on Yoder road to US 50 then east to Haven road and north to Buhler and Inman. After I got on K61 I decided that the "slab" looked more inviting than all that construction we dealt with on the way down. A few miles after I got on I 135 I noticed the low fuel light was on. Guzzi went cheap on this system and the light isn't very bright. With the sun at my back it's all but impossible to see, so I really had no idea when it came on. Not sure if I could make it home on my remaining fuel I planned a gas stop in Lindsborg. As I passed Smokey Valley road I realized that I was supposed to exit there to come into Lindsborg from the south. OH WELL. Up to the Bridgeport exit and backtrack to Lindsborg. $16 bought me some peace of mind and I decided to take Burma road back to Salina. Home now and totally spent after a great ride with great friends and great food. :D
There was an episode of the old TV series THEN CAME BRONSON, where he spent some time with an Amish family.
There was an episode of the old TV series THEN CAME BRONSON, where he spent some time with an Amish family.
Yodercycles.jpg (54.76 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Attachments
102_7485.JPG
102_7486.JPG
102_7487.JPG
102_7488.JPG
102_7489.JPG
102_7490.JPG
102_7491.JPG
102_7492.JPG
102_7493.JPG
102_7494.JPG