North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 7/6/22

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 7/6/22

Post by Roadpounder »

WOW! What a day! It started with a demon possessed Kawasaki that acts like the petulant child who won't eat his vegetables. It will idle but it won't take any throttle. Of course the customer wants it fixed yesterday. :lol: Then a Goldwing front tire change came in, so taking the reprieve from the Kawasaki I put it on the the lift. Tire change, simple right? It only took 6 tries to get that beast on the lift. The problem is that I can't see where the front wheel is on the way up the lift and I kept bumping into the wheel vise. :x That gets to be a real adventure with a 950# bike. Finally I got it on the lift. Now I have to tie the front end down so I can jack up the back end to get it on the center stand. Then untie the front end and jack it up so I can remove the front wheel, and re tie it so it won't go anywhere while I have it up in the air. At this point it's getting to be a long day. I remove all the ancillary flotsam and jetsam to facilitate removing the wheel. Finally with the wheel on the machine I peel the old tire off and mount the new tire. On the balancing stand I'm having a hard time placing the weights accurately to get it in balance. That's when I notice the directional arrow on the side wall is pointing the wrong way. :x :x Pressure builds on the frustration meter. Back on the machine I get halfway through the remount and the tire machine throws a hissy fit. Literally. It starts this loud hissing. It's coming from the vicinity of the regulator, but I can't pin point it. It feels like the auto lube reservoir blew an O ring. So I take it apart to find nothing amiss. Hooking up the air again the leak is still there. But this time I find it. One of the air lines split. The repair gods must have been smiling on me since the split wasn't far from the end of the hose and there was enough excess hose that I could just cut off the split portion and reconnect it. Tire remounted and back on the bike I'm reassembling all the aforementioned flotsam and jetsam only to find that the parts gremlins came buy to relieve me of a shouldered washer that is needed to secure the rotor cover. Not willing to spend the next 2 hours searching for the wayward part I opt to carve one up on my lathe. It will turn up sooner or later. I took one of the other ones to use as a pattern. All the carving done I'm ready to finish the project only to find, or not find, the one I used as a pattern. :x :x :x More searching just added to the frustration. Finally it showed up and I was able to put an end to this torture. In the mean time the Kawasaki owner came by to check on the progress on his bike which was now off of the lift while the Goldwing was in the air. Now all I have to do is get the Goldwing off the lift without dropping it. :( That accomplished I heave a heavy sigh of relief. Now all I have to so is shuffle all these bikes around so I can shoehorn this monster into the garage.

Despite all chaos I managed to check the weather and set up next week's ride. It looks like next week the temperatures are flirting with triple digits, so I'm keeping this one close to Salina. Last time we were here I wound up ordering a side of beef for lunch. I don't think I'll be doing that this time. BEWARE OF THE "PAVEMENT POUNDER"!

Another thin turnout for the world peace summit, but we did manage to keep the world spinning for another week. Among the other topics covered we got to the most important. The launch time and place will be the Rodeway Inn @ 12:45.

TIME....................1:00

Here it is..............Exit 14 Restaurant
512 Maple St
Gypsum, Kansas 66964

Phone (785) 577-8921

Facebook Page............https://www.facebook.com/exit14restaurant/

Web Page.............

Map site..........https://tinyurl.com/wd4hsez

Ness hack.jpg
Ness hack.jpg (101.84 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Attachments
0102_7117.JPG