LUNCH 11 AM APRIL 7, SOUTH 40 CAFE, WESTMORELAND, KS

Moderator: Al Hayes

schoolmaster

LUNCH 11 AM APRIL 7, SOUTH 40 CAFE, WESTMORELAND, KS

Post by schoolmaster »

Well, it's about time! We stopped meeting for lunch on March 18 last year, Swanee tried to give it a go in June but the pandemic was just too much to overcome and ROMEO lunches were suspended for good at that point. Well, now that vaccinations are becoming the norm for folks our age and the world is trying to get back a little bit more like it was, let's try and see if we can get this thing going again. We have all liked the ride up Highway 99 and the South 40 has always been a crowd favorite for our group so it's seems fitting that we use this as our first post-pandemic lunch stop.

They open early for breakfast and serve it until 11 and then lunch starts after that. The Wednesday special is still spaghetti and they will also feature another lunch special as well or you can just order off of the menu. There are no indoor group size or mask restrictions in Westmoreland but it is still wise to observe social distancing and mask usage while gathering and up and away from your table. We need to be respectful that some folks haven't been immunized and especially younger people that are out and about or working there may not have been vaccinated yet.

So let's meet up for real on Wednesday morning AROUND 10:00 on April 7 for breakfast or lunch at:

South 40 Cafe
401 Highway 99
Westmoreland, Kansas
785-457-3307

Gary has, or will soon have, a map up at the following link:

https://tinyurl.com/wd4hsez

Now, on a personal note, after this year's hiatus I had healed up and recovered from my shoulder surgery, felt more comfortable being out and about due to being vaccinated and I was feeling like I could schedule rides again with a couple of other folks willing to help schedule as well. However this week, as I received the results of some routine tests, I have been diagnosed with melanoma and I have two surgeries scheduled, the first one happening on Monday followed possibly by either radiation or chemo, followed by another surgery. As a result, riding is not in my immediate future nor is coordinating future ROMEO rides and there's not much I can do about it at this point. Also, Scott F. had agreed to help out a bit but he is also experiencing some health issues and is not comfortable being in a group setting quite yet. There is no one lined up to do a ride report for this lunch or to schedule future rides.

So here's the deal guys and gals. Unless someone steps in and sets up rides this spring, this is my last post for awhile. This means that after April 7 Eastern Kansas ROMEO is on hold and there will be no more Wednesday rides in this area. This saddens me because this weekly Wednesday outing has been a source of camaraderie and social connection for me and I think many of you as well. North and South Central will still be riding on Wednesday so that might be a possibility for some of you.

I have truly enjoyed being able to coordinate rides and have valued the friendships that have been made as a result of this group. I certainly hope that someone will be able to continue this, but if not, it has been a great experience that I will treasure. I've had some great days as a ROMEO and I hope to be able to ride with you all again soon!!
Attachments
S40Caf2.JPG
S40Caf2.JPG (96.98 KiB) Viewed 819 times
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster
joetnks

Re: LUNCH 11 AM APRIL 7, SOUTH 40 CAFE, WESTMORELAND, KS

Post by joetnks »

Mick I realize I have not ridden as often as some with this group but I have participated on occasions and enjoyed meeting new people and have had a great time. I also appreciate that you stepped up when it was needed to coordinate the rides and for that I thank you. I wish you well on your journey and getting in front of your health issues. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.
JoeT.
merrill

Post by merrill »

Mick I had hoped to to see you in person wednesday but it look like rain may foul my road out. But like Joe I want you to know how much so many of us appreciate all you and the others who set up these rides. Joanie and I send love and prayers. Harold jr.
kai61

Post by kai61 »

Mick,you have my prayers and support. Kai
May the Son embrace you and the Wind always smile upon you…
shoresr

Post by shoresr »

Mick:
With all you be been through this will be nothing for you. You have done such a great job for the ROMEOs and no one tells a story like you. I have always enjoyed your ride reports. Even when I am not able to ride with you I feel like I am along. My support and love is with you. Till we ride again together....Roger S. Your good friend, now in Virginia!!
lindad608

Post by lindad608 »

Mick, sorry to hear about your condition. You will be on our thoughts. Hope all goes well.