North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 9/16/20

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 9/16/20

Post by Roadpounder »

Since the weather took a dump for last week I got this one rescheduled for this coming Wednesday. The weatherman is showing us some mercy next week. :D

This one is like a blast from the past. We haven't been here for three years. :shock: The name has been changed but the phone number is the same. As I recall they had some really good food and it was a good time.

This morning has been a real adventure. Fritz had discovered a portal to outer space, and I had to chase him down three times this morning. :x The gate is flexible enough that he has discovered that he can squeeze out and go exploring. He never goes too far but It's getting a little old chasing him down several times a day. Once I even had a neighbor call me to tell me she had him on a leash. He was only about four doors away, but I had to drop what I was doing to retrieve him. When I'm elbows deep in a Goldwing learning Japan's retaliatory tactics I'm not really in the mood for a search and recover mission. He's swiftly earning a leash until I can get the gate fixed. On to the more important matters. We will be leaving from the Quality Inn @ 11:00.

TIME....................12:30

Here it is.............. Miller Time (Formerly Beaver Brewery at Mo's Place)
1908 Elm St
Beaver, Kansas, KS 67525

(620) 587-2350

Facebook Page............https://www.facebook.com/MillerTimeBar/

Web Page.............

Map site.............https://tinyurl.com/wd4hsez

Well! I finally thwarted the efforts of Houdini Hound (AKA Fritz). As it turns out, he wasn't squeezing out the gate but found a missing slat skirting my side deck where he could go under the deck and get out. I had removed that slat to access a sapling that had taken root under the deck and stunt it's growth before it turned my deck into a tree house. And judging by the overgrowth in my back yard I'm just about ready for another Salina chainsaw massacre. The day in general turned out to be a spectacular day for a ride. Mostly sunny and not hot or windy. We left on time and the road was almost free of construction. There was nothing to impede our progress and only a few cones to contend with. I was thoroughly enjoying the ride except for the nagging pain in my back that was the only burr in my saddle. Father time is having a grand old time beating me with his staff. Sometimes I think he breaks it on me and then starts poking me with the broken end. He sure is a crotchety old goat. Yesterday I was sorting out some electrical ghosts on Jerry Jellison's bike so he could make the ride. On the way to Beaver I was second last in line with Jerry bringing up the rear. Suddenly I hear his bike blast past me and Gary Spreker. I figured that he was just tired of being tail end Charlie, but I later found out that he wanted me to see if there was any black smoke in his exhaust. That would indicate his bike was running rich. He was pleased to find out all was well. I re jetted his carbs last time I worked on it. Terry Powell was in the lead and as we pulled through Clafflin our armada slowed to a crawl. There seemed to be a little confusion as to the route to Beaver. We pressed on and before long we came to the turn to Beaver. It came up rather suddenly and some of us were caught a little off guard. We did manage to avoid any unplanned merging and headed north to beaver. There was a good crowd there upon our arrival and more filtered in after us. I counted 24 bikes before I went in and still more stragglers filtered in. Unfortunately the cuisine wasn't quite up to the standard that I remembered from our last visit. My burger was a little more well done than I prefer. I saved a bite for Fritz and he had no complaints. By the time I got out about two thirds of the bikes were gone. I joined up with Jerry Jellison and we headed out and I took the lead. Since neither of us knew how to get back to Salina it was the blind leading the blind. I opted to not backtrack the route we took to get there and instead tried to reverse the course my road trip planner chose from memory. Yeah! Right! I headed east out of Beaver with Jerry blissfully in tow, totally oblivious to the fact that I had no idea where we were going. When we ran out of pavement the intersection gave us the option of a curve to the right or a curve to the left. I slowed to about 45 mph to negotiate the curve to the right and about two thirds of the way through the sweeper I noticed the stop sign. :shock: Oh well. I'll stop twice at the next one. Now headed south I looked for the next stretch of pavement heading east. I figured that if I kept going east I'd eventually encounter something that looked familiar. Another dog leg to the south and east and I came to K156 west of Hollyrood. EUREKA! I found something familiar. :D The rest of the ride to Ellsworth and K140 to Salina was uneventful, save for the stop to feed my noble steed despite the protestations of Fritz. We got into my garage and Fritz bolted out of the carrier like a shot. I got in and proceeded to set up the aforementioned leash. After I finished that, My buddy Shorty called and asked if I saw what he did. While we were on the ride, he came over and did a rebuild on the gate. As usual he left his sun glasses at my place. He came over a little later and that was when we discovered Fritz's escape route and replaced the missing slat. Finally the day was over and I can relax and throw a frozen whatever it is in the oven for supper.
YA THINK?!?
YA THINK?!?
Attachments
102_4719.JPG
102_4720.JPG
102_4721.JPG
102_4722.JPG
102_4723.JPG
102_4724.JPG
102_4725.JPG
102_4726.JPG
102_4727.JPG