COVID-19 Concerns

roginoz

COVID-19 Concerns

Post by roginoz »

By now, everyone is aware of the expected spread of COVID-19 (“the Corona Virus”) in our area. It's not a question of if, but when, we see it locally. At present, there are no confirmed cases in Sedgwick County; this doesn't mean that there are not undiagnosed cases in our area. Measures can be taken to minimize how quickly the virus spreads. This is especially important in keeping severe infections at a level our healthcare system can manage.

Information on good practices has been all over the news: wash your hands, avoid direct contact with others, stay home if you're ill, cough or sneeze into your shoulder or elbow if you must cough or sneeze, and stay away from large groups. Our South Central group participation has been below the currently prohibited level of fifty or more, but still presents some risk; the simple hygeine recommendations above are important, even more so in light of the age of many of our members.

At some point, I expect restaurants to be ordered closed, or limited to drive-through orders. Until that time, I anticipate continued posting of weekly destinations. We'll stick to smaller businesses, typically outside more dense urban areas (as is our practice,) and trust our members to make their own decisions concerning attendance. Those of you with underlying health conditions, or having others at home with such concerns, may want to consider staying home or simply riding on ROMEO days without stopping for lunch.

I expect that other area ride coordinators, especially those with very large groups, may need (or simply choose) to handle this problem differently. I encourage members of our group to only attend their local ride, and expect the same of others, to minimize the degree of exposure.

Should circumstances change, we may have to further restrict our activities sooner than currently anticipated. This is a serious matter, but it's not the end of the world. It's best dealt with through a little extra caution, calm heads, and regard for the well-being of others.
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
jerrymich

Re: COVID-19 Concerns

Post by jerrymich »

Well said Roger