Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 4/6/16

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 4/6/16

Post by Roadpounder »

I hope you all like BBQ. We're set up with FatBoy Heaven in Minneapolis, Kansas for this coming Wednesday. When I checked out their Facebook page my mouth started watering. They have seating for 45 and they do have regular lunch traffic. So we are set for 1:15PM I know it's an odd time but they seemed more comfortable with that to ensure enough seating. The weather man says mostly cloudy with a 20% chance of a shower. But we all know that is subject to change.

It's set. The Salina group is leaving the Iron Skillet at 12:45.

TIME....................1:15

Here it is.............. FatBoy Heaven
903 N 3rd Ave Corrected address 213 N. Concord St.
Minneapolis, Kansas
(785) 224-5144
Corrected phone # 785-392-0804

Facebook page........https://www.facebook.com/FatBoyHeavenKS/?fref=ts
Web Page..............http://www.fatboyheaven.biz/

http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc

It looks like I missed my shot at stardom. While Terry Powell and I were pounding through the dirt back roads the press showed up and did some filming of the ROMEOs when they gathered at the Iron Skillet. My dreams of a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame were shattered. It looks like Big Jim and Lyle hogged all the camera time. Maybe I'll lodge a protest for equal time.

Terry and I met at the Iron Skillet at 11:00 and he lead the way into the middle of the frontier for our ride to Minneapolis. It wasn't as brutal as it was last time. I think he was going easy on me. We got off the pavement and all was going well, but as we ventured forth into the wilderness, channeling our inner spirits of Lewis and Clark, the road got rougher. The gravel got coarser by the mile and with my street tires it was like riding on golf balls. The bike under me felt less like a race horse and more like a serpent. I was sure Guzzi had made the frame out of rubber rather than steel. We did eventually get to some hard packed dirt and things settled down some. Just about the time I started getting comfortable and let my mind wander the bike would smack me back to reality and remind me that we're not on pavement. I was finally getting wound into this and we discovered sand. My eyes were darting feverishly between the road and Terry trying to find the best line through the sand meeting with reasonable success. We soon arrived at Terry's childhood homestead where he grew up. Now I know how he knows his way around the area so well. Pressing on we got to Tesscott where we took a break which I was more than ready for. We stopped at the Someplace Bar and Grill. We were there as a group not too long ago. Back on the road after a refreshing break the roads weren't bad until we found the grand daddy of all sandy washes. Terry tried to point it out as he found a line through it, but I was too far to the right and too close to follow and went through the middle. I suddenly found myself vertically challenged as the horizon went vertical. Off I went of the right side coming to rest with a thud. It seems that no matter how many times I test it, gravity always works. I quickly picked myself up and hit the kill switch on the bike to save what's left of my engine. By that time Terry realized what had happened and came charging to the rescue. I was no worse for the wear and after we got the bike back up and did a brief inspection found it to be uninjured also. By that time the rear wheel was buried halfway to the hub in the sand and I was having visions of it only digging itself in deeper. I assured Terry that I was uninjured and got back on the bike and fired it up. It took a significant amount of clutch slipping to mussel itself out of the deep sand but I got it out and we continued on. It wasn't long before we were greeted by the welcome sight of pavement. We were just outside of Minneapolis and I trusted that Terry knew the way to Fatboy Heavan. We pulled up to find only two other bikes there.
As it turned out we were early and soon bikes started arriving in droves. Getting all the outside shots I could we started to file in. As it turned out we occupied about 75% of the dining room and the staff seemed to take us in stride. When I saw the menu on Facebook it looked quite mouthwatering, and I was not disappointed. The menu had many things to choose from making the choice difficult. I was sitting beside Richard and he opted for the mushroom and Swiss burger. I was torn between that and a BBQ sandwich. Finally I settled on the burger. When it came and I bit into it I melted. It was among the best burgers I ever had. The chips were exceptionally good too. They tasted home made but I never got to ask it they were. As we trickled out some gathered to do some tire kicking. Richard had his ice cream radar up and led the way to Bennington to scratch his itch. By that time I was pretty well spent from our trek through the wilderness, so I decided to head back home and let the dogs know I was still alive.

All told we had a turnout of 27 with the high mileage going to Denny Sexson from Hutchenson coming 97 miles.

The bikes represented were Honda, Harley, BMW, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kimco, and Moto Guzzi

The towns represented were Salina, Lindsborg, McPherson, Hutchenson, Manhattan, Minneapolis. Pottersburg, Lake Wilson, Canton, and Culver.

Wooden Bike.jpg
Wooden Bike.jpg (61.43 KiB) Viewed 779 times
Attachments
100_0111.JPG
100_0112.JPG
100_0113.JPG
100_0114.JPG
100_0115.JPG
100_0116.JPG
100_0117.JPG
100_0118.JPG
100_0119.JPG
100_0121.JPG
100_0122.JPG
100_0123.JPG
100_0124.JPG
100_0125.JPG
100_0126.JPG
100_0127.JPG
100_0128.JPG
100_0129.JPG
100_0130.JPG
100_0131.JPG
100_0132.JPG
100_0133.JPG
100_0134.JPG
100_0135.JPG
100_0136.JPG
100_0137.JPG
100_0138.JPG
100_0139.JPG
100_0140.JPG
100_0141.JPG
100_0142.JPG
100_0143.JPG
100_0144.JPG
100_0145.JPG
100_0146.JPG
100_0147.JPG
100_0148.JPG
100_0149.JPG
100_0150.JPG
100_0151.JPG
100_0152.JPG
100_0153.JPG
100_0154.JPG
100_0155.JPG
100_0156.JPG
100_0157.JPG
100_0158.JPG
100_0159.JPG
100_0160.JPG
Last edited by Roadpounder on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Roadpounder

Re: Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 4/6/16

Post by Roadpounder »

chrono adjust
Parkville Rider

Post by Parkville Rider »

Make sure you use the Romeo Map as the physical address is new as they just moved to this location 3 weeks ago per the owner. Phone number at Fatboys is 785-392-0804. Address on their FaceBook is not correct.

Good Luck!
Gary
Romeo Map Genie
Gary D.
a.k.a. Romeo Map Genie
Parkville MO
2014 BMW K1600GT
SteveE

Post by SteveE »

Just a reminder to Romeo and motorcycle race fans- Siunday, April 17 at 1400 hours, there will be a 1/4 mile flat track race held 6 miles south of Marquette on the east side of the blacktop. I saw a sign downtown about it and rode out to the site and looked at the track from the hill. Called the motorcycle museum and confirmed the event. They said the Wichita Jeeps MC is running the show, so it should be a good one! See you at the races!
Roadpounder

Post by Roadpounder »

Parkville Rider wrote:Make sure you use the Romeo Map as the physical address is new as they just moved to this location 3 weeks ago per the owner. Phone number at Fatboys is 785-392-0804. Address on their FaceBook is not correct.

Good Luck!
Gary
Romeo Map Genie
Thanks for the correction. I made the corrections above.
Marty
Richard

Post by Richard »

chrono adjust
beemermark

Post by beemermark »

Ride Safe, Ride with a Smile. Mark
Attachments
Good food and fast service at the Minneapolis, Kansas "Fatboy Heaven" (stanblack@fatboyheaven.biz) BBQ. The days special was served with 50+mph Kansas wind.
Good food and fast service at the Minneapolis, Kansas "Fatboy Heaven" (stanblack@fatboyheaven.biz) BBQ. The days special was served with 50+mph Kansas wind.
At the south west end of town is this vintage rail bridge still in service after 126 years.
At the south west end of town is this vintage rail bridge still in service after 126 years.
DSCN0548.JPG
DSCN0549.JPG
DSCN0551.JPG
Designed in 1885 using real iron!!
Designed in 1885 using real iron!!
Early entrance to the city park.
Early entrance to the city park.
Rock City is just a few mile south west of Minneapolis.
Rock City is just a few mile south west of Minneapolis.
Culver Presbyterian Church.  The town of Culver was named after civil war Lieutenant George Culver.  The town was originally settled north of its present location, but like a lot of small towns in 1886 it moved a few miles south to be next to the rail line.  Culver lost his life in 1868 fighting in the Indian wars.  The town was incorporated in 1909 and through the years has seen four foot flood waters.  Past businesses include grocery stores, hardware, bakery, hotel, two lumber yards, harness shop, shoe shop, skating rink, depot, print office and many others.
Culver Presbyterian Church. The town of Culver was named after civil war Lieutenant George Culver. The town was originally settled north of its present location, but like a lot of small towns in 1886 it moved a few miles south to be next to the rail line. Culver lost his life in 1868 fighting in the Indian wars. The town was incorporated in 1909 and through the years has seen four foot flood waters. Past businesses include grocery stores, hardware, bakery, hotel, two lumber yards, harness shop, shoe shop, skating rink, depot, print office and many others.
DSCN0560.JPG
The wonderful tile floor and vault are all that's left of the bank.
The wonderful tile floor and vault are all that's left of the bank.
The auto garage.
The auto garage.
The 8x9 foot city jail.
The 8x9 foot city jail.
The red brick on the firehouse is in amazingly good condition.  The doors are narrow and probably for a horse drawn fire wagon.  The city clerk and today's historian LouAnn Inscho stands under the bell tower.  Hopefully money can be raised to renovate the tower and return the bell to its past glory.
The red brick on the firehouse is in amazingly good condition. The doors are narrow and probably for a horse drawn fire wagon. The city clerk and today's historian LouAnn Inscho stands under the bell tower. Hopefully money can be raised to renovate the tower and return the bell to its past glory.