Lunch 11 AM, Oct. 22, Emma Chase Cafe, Cottonwood Falls, Ks.

Moderator: Al Hayes

schoolmaster

Lunch 11 AM, Oct. 22, Emma Chase Cafe, Cottonwood Falls, Ks.

Post by schoolmaster »

OK, I've thought about this one a lot and it's a little bit different and a stretch of our normal territory, but I think you'll like it. (Remember, Jimmy Buffett says "changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes".) Roger Shores had mentioned that he heard that Sue Smith, the woman who owns the iconic Emma Chase Cafe, was retiring and closing the cafe in November, and had heard that Roger Smith was planning a ride for South Central ROMEOS to go one last time before it closed. When I looked at the forecast for next Wednesday and it said sunny and 65, I talked to Roger Smith and asked him how he felt about a joint EK/SC ROMEO lunch and he was all in. So lets take advantage of another fantastic fall day, enjoy a ride through the Flint Hills, soak up the atmosphere of their classic downtown main street, photo-op courthouse, and eat at the Kansas icon:

Emma Chase Cafe
317 Broadway
Cottonwood Falls, Kansas
620-273-6020

Restaurant hours are 9:00-200 but lets plan on arriving to join our South Central colleagues for a ROMEO reunion and lunch at 11 AM.

http://www.kansas.com/news/business/biz ... 14433.html

Thanks again to Roger and South Central Romeos for allowing us to join them. See you all in Cottonwood Falls!

Here is the link to all scheduled Romeo Rides:
http://tinyurl.com/Romeo-Rides-Scheduled

If you've never checked out the National Tall Grass Prairie Preserve run by the National Park Service, it is a real gem! It's located just a few miles north of Cottonwood Falls on Highway 177, just north of the junction with Highway 50.

http://www.nps.gov/tapr/index.htm
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster
schoolmaster

Re: Lunch 11 AM, Oct. 22, Emma Chase Cafe, Cottonwood Falls,

Post by schoolmaster »

Take a 68 degree day, throw in a little fall Flint Hills scenery, add the promise of lunch at an iconic small town Kansas restaurant, and mix in the chance to dine with ROMEO friends from Kansas City, East Central and South Central Kansas, and you have this result: 80+ motorcycles showing up at the Emma Chase Cafe in Cottonwood Falls for a little lunch! But Sue Smith (aka Emma Chase) and her staff handled it very well and everyone got fed over the course of about an hour. Thanks to those who had to patiently wait a little longer for their lunch. The special was the chicken fried steak and it looked like they served up about 65-70- of those! I took quite a few pictures to try and get as many people in as I could. I apologize in advance if I missed you, but it's like trying to take pictures of a bunch of cats in a room full of cat toys.[attachment=23]DSCN4280.JPG[/attachment][attachment=22]DSCN4281.JPG[/attachment][attachment=21]DSCN4282.JPG[/attachment][attachment=20]DSCN4283.JPG[/attachment][attachment=19]DSCN4284.JPG[/attachment][attachment=18]DSCN4285.JPG[/attachment][attachment=17]DSCN4286.JPG[/attachment][attachment=16]DSCN4287.JPG[/attachment][attachment=15]DSCN4288.JPG[/attachment][attachment=14]DSCN4289.JPG[/attachment][attachment=13]DSCN4290.JPG[/attachment][attachment=12]DSCN4292.JPG[/attachment][attachment=11]DSCN4293.JPG[/attachment][attachment=10]DSCN4294.JPG[/attachment][attachment=9]DSCN4295.JPG[/attachment][attachment=8]DSCN4296.JPG[/attachment][attachment=7]DSCN4297.JPG[/attachment][attachment=6]DSCN4298.JPG[/attachment][attachment=5]DSCN4299.JPG[/attachment][attachment=4]DSCN4301.JPG[/attachment][attachment=3]DSCN4303.JPG[/attachment][attachment=2]DSCN4304.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]DSCN4305.JPG[/attachment]I have some more pics to post, but my neighbor just walked in with a dugout box seat to tonight's Royals game and asked if I wanted it!!! So I am outta here for now. Will post the rest tomorrow. Go Royals!!
Attachments
Welcome to Cottonwood Falls.
Welcome to Cottonwood Falls.
This isn't Niagra Falls, but then again, this is Kansas and this is Cottonwood Falls.
This isn't Niagra Falls, but then again, this is Kansas and this is Cottonwood Falls.
This is the spillway, taking care of the overflow.
This is the spillway, taking care of the overflow.
This is the view from the Falls looking downstream toward the Hwy. 177 bridge.  It is actually quite a scenic spot.
This is the view from the Falls looking downstream toward the Hwy. 177 bridge. It is actually quite a scenic spot.
This is the Chase County Courthouse, and it presides nicely over the main street.  This is a stunning building in excellent condition.
This is the Chase County Courthouse, and it presides nicely over the main street. This is a stunning building in excellent condition.
These bikes belonged to the really early arrivals, and those spots disappeared pretty quickly.
These bikes belonged to the really early arrivals, and those spots disappeared pretty quickly.
It was a perfect morning for hanging out waiting for lunch.
It was a perfect morning for hanging out waiting for lunch.
This Harley and the Marine Corps medallion were just gleaming in the sun.  I couldn't resist taking a picture.
This Harley and the Marine Corps medallion were just gleaming in the sun. I couldn't resist taking a picture.
This last table didn't stay mostly empty for long.  In fact, they had to set up a couple more tables in the little general store next door to accommodate the overflow. So even these guys got someone to sit with them.
This last table didn't stay mostly empty for long. In fact, they had to set up a couple more tables in the little general store next door to accommodate the overflow. So even these guys got someone to sit with them.
DSCN4289.JPG
DSCN4290.JPG
They even had our motto up on the wall.
They even had our motto up on the wall.
DSCN4293.JPG
DSCN4294.JPG
This is Sue Smith, the owner (aka Emma Chase) explaining the menu to those ROMEOS that were just overwhelmed with the menu choices.
This is Sue Smith, the owner (aka Emma Chase) explaining the menu to those ROMEOS that were just overwhelmed with the menu choices.
DSCN4296.JPG
DSCN4297.JPG
DSCN4298.JPG
DSCN4299.JPG
This is what happens when you put the camera down.  Someone takes your picture.  There goes my status in the witness protection program.
This is what happens when you put the camera down. Someone takes your picture. There goes my status in the witness protection program.
DSCN4303.JPG
How could you refuse to take a picture requested by Emma Chase herself!
How could you refuse to take a picture requested by Emma Chase herself!
You know you're famous when they make a poster of you.
You know you're famous when they make a poster of you.
There were motorcycles parked everywhere you could find an open spot.
There were motorcycles parked everywhere you could find an open spot.
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster
John D Davis

Post by John D Davis »

Hey Mick:

Excellent photo shoot of the ride to Cottonwood Falls :D . I had the pleasure of riding north on KS99 into Emporia - hadn't been there in forever. Beautiful city and it had grown just a bit since the last time I saw it. On the ride home, I took KS177 south to Cassoday, some back roads to Rosalia and then to US54 east. I think every Kansan should see the Flint Hills - they are breathtakingly beautiful in the morning sun :o and not too shabby in the afternoon sun. Only rode 238 miles for this festivity, but thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Thanks for all the pictures.
Drive now, talk later
schoolmaster

Post by schoolmaster »

Since I didn't get to post all the photos I took yesterday I'll finish it up today. John, it sounds like you had a great trip yesterday and you are correct, the Flint Hills are absolutely gorgeous and there are some wonderful roads in the area that are a delight to ride. Glad you made the trip to join us.[attachment=11]DSCN4308.JPG[/attachment][attachment=10]DSCN4309.JPG[/attachment][attachment=9]DSCN4310.JPG[/attachment][attachment=8]DSCN4311.JPG[/attachment][attachment=7]DSCN4312.JPG[/attachment][attachment=6]DSCN4313.JPG[/attachment][attachment=5]DSCN4314.JPG[/attachment][attachment=4]DSCN4315.JPG[/attachment][attachment=3]DSCN4316.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]DSCN4319.JPG[/attachment]
Again, thanks to the staff of the Emma Chase Cafe as well as to the 80+ riders who made the ride to Cottonwood Falls. It was a beautiful day for riding and I think everyone had a great time getting together. Oh by the way, that last minute ticket to the World Series turned out to be a great last minute surprise that was a real treat. What a great place to watch the Series, and I predict the Royals will take it in 6!!
Attachments
Bikes took up a big chunk of street parking.
Bikes took up a big chunk of street parking.
DSCN4309.JPG
Not only does she own the place, she also waits on customers, and she fries a mean chicken fried steak as well. Two kitchen cooks, Sue and one server handled the whole operation very efficiently.
Not only does she own the place, she also waits on customers, and she fries a mean chicken fried steak as well. Two kitchen cooks, Sue and one server handled the whole operation very efficiently.
This is Lola, one of the next generation of ROMEOS.  I got to visit with her a bit later in her mother's gift shop (Ranch Rules I think was the name) next door to Emma Chase.  A word of warning, don't let your wife near this fabulous shop!  Lola, as it turns out, is also Suzan Barnes' (who runs the Grand Central Hotel) granddaughter! What a cutie she is.
This is Lola, one of the next generation of ROMEOS. I got to visit with her a bit later in her mother's gift shop (Ranch Rules I think was the name) next door to Emma Chase. A word of warning, don't let your wife near this fabulous shop! Lola, as it turns out, is also Suzan Barnes' (who runs the Grand Central Hotel) granddaughter! What a cutie she is.
If you're interested, this is the music schedule for the concerts that occur every Friday night in the street outside the cafe, or moved indoors in case of inclement weather.
If you're interested, this is the music schedule for the concerts that occur every Friday night in the street outside the cafe, or moved indoors in case of inclement weather.
I think the ROMEOS (heart) the Flint Hills too!
I think the ROMEOS (heart) the Flint Hills too!
I hate to admit it, but this was my ride today. I think I was the only cager on this beautiful day for riding.  Hoping my surgically repaired hand will be healed up enough in a couple of weeks to bring the Indian out of the garage!
I hate to admit it, but this was my ride today. I think I was the only cager on this beautiful day for riding. Hoping my surgically repaired hand will be healed up enough in a couple of weeks to bring the Indian out of the garage!
On the way home I stopped at the National Tall Grass Prairie visitor center and enjoyed the displays.  I also couldn't resist touring the Lower Fox Creek one room schoolhouse that sits about a mile north of the ranch on a knoll with a beautiful view.
On the way home I stopped at the National Tall Grass Prairie visitor center and enjoyed the displays. I also couldn't resist touring the Lower Fox Creek one room schoolhouse that sits about a mile north of the ranch on a knoll with a beautiful view.
This probably reminds several ROMEOS of where they went to school.
This probably reminds several ROMEOS of where they went to school.
I might have been mistaken but I think I saw a spelling paper with Walt Hoffman's name on it stuck in the hole by the inkwell. Now I think I know why he grew up to be an accountant.
I might have been mistaken but I think I saw a spelling paper with Walt Hoffman's name on it stuck in the hole by the inkwell. Now I think I know why he grew up to be an accountant.
A view looking west from the schoolhouse.
A view looking west from the schoolhouse.
Looking south back toward the main ranch.  I wondered if the fall burn was due to the controversy coming out of KSU about the timing of the annual burns, saying that the timing of the burns doesn't have to always occur in the spring.  But a park ranger told me that has nothing to do with this one.  The are doing a fall burn of this area to do the prep work required to stage the Annual KC Symphony Concert on the Prairie next spring that will be held on this site.
Looking south back toward the main ranch. I wondered if the fall burn was due to the controversy coming out of KSU about the timing of the annual burns, saying that the timing of the burns doesn't have to always occur in the spring. But a park ranger told me that has nothing to do with this one. The are doing a fall burn of this area to do the prep work required to stage the Annual KC Symphony Concert on the Prairie next spring that will be held on this site.
Last edited by schoolmaster on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster
shoresr

Post by shoresr »

Mick, great report and great pictures.
Thanks for all you do for us. You make the rides even more special.
We hope you will be on two wheels real soon!!