Lunch 11 AM, August 20, Dinner Bell Cafe, Wetmore, Kansas

Moderator: Al Hayes

schoolmaster

Lunch 11 AM, August 20, Dinner Bell Cafe, Wetmore, Kansas

Post by schoolmaster »

Sorry this post is late, but I was waiting on a clearer picture of the weather to finalize this one because this will be special. The Dinner Bell Cafe is the site of this week's lunch, and I do emphasize lunch this time, because the Dinner Bell is already booked for a tour bus for breakfast that day at 8:45. So we will schedule our lunch for the normal 11 AM time. But we have a special treat scheduled for 9:30 AM. Bob Carson has graciously agreed to open his 3 building exhibit featuring a restored 1950's era Chrysler/Plymouth dealership that includes many restored antique cars and other memorabilia from past years.[attachment=2]b7392d5675fe94aaf47ce48af8d2a970.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]028568d2f9696288ae8f56f5e5612830.png[/attachment][attachment=0]66dad63db86f330b1c722f4b82f1895c.png[/attachment]The web site for more information about Spring Creek Classics and other Wetmore attractions is as follows:

http://www.springcreekclassics.com

So get prepared for a great day of riding to Wetmore. The museum opens at 9:30 and then lunch follows around 10:30 or later at the

Dinner Bell Cafe
404 2nd Street
Wetmore, Kansas
785-866-2233

There will be a lunch special but Susan wasn't sure what it would be yet, but the regular menu will be available. This is an excellent place to eat, as a few of us scouted this restaurant a few weeks ago and it comes highly recommended. Just remember, if you show up for breakfast at 8:45 you will be required to board the bus with 56 ladies who are on a tour visiting quilt exhibits. So show up around 9:30 for the museum and lunch anytime after that.

Here is the link to all scheduled Romeo Rides
http://tinyurl.com/Romeo-Rides-Scheduled
Attachments
b7392d5675fe94aaf47ce48af8d2a970.jpg
b7392d5675fe94aaf47ce48af8d2a970.jpg (74.74 KiB) Viewed 658 times
028568d2f9696288ae8f56f5e5612830.png
028568d2f9696288ae8f56f5e5612830.png (218.25 KiB) Viewed 658 times
66dad63db86f330b1c722f4b82f1895c.png
66dad63db86f330b1c722f4b82f1895c.png (192 KiB) Viewed 656 times
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster
schoolmaster

Re: Lunch 11 AM, August 20, Dinner Bell Cafe, Wetmore, Kansa

Post by schoolmaster »

I got a call from Susan at the Dinner Bell Cafe in Wetmore this afternoon and she informed me that the tour bus she was expecting for breakfast at 8:45 AM had changed their plans and would not be there for breakfast as planned. So if any of you want to show up at 8:45 AM for breakfast, feel free to do so without threat of having to attend a quilt show. You can then show up at Spring Creek Classics at 9:30 as planned and head home a little earlier if that fits into your day better. Don't know how many of you will see this but thought I'd pass it along just in case any of you were interested.
Mick
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster
schoolmaster

Re: Lunch 11 AM, August 20, Dinner Bell Cafe, Wetmore, Kansa

Post by schoolmaster »

The warm front that worked its way in yesterday was 'as advertised' and it got into the upper 90's this afternoon, but that didn't stop a large number of ROMEOS from taking advantage of the opportunity to dine at the Dinner Bell and peruse the Spring Creek Classics cars and museum in Wetmore. It was hard to pinpoint a number because we were all spread out between 3 buildings in the museum and the cafe and bikes were parked up and down two blocks of the street between the restaurant and the museum. I will take a guess and say there were between 40 and 50 ROMEOS that participated this morning. [attachment=19]DSCN3970.JPG[/attachment][attachment=18]DSCN3949.JPG[/attachment][attachment=17]DSCN3951.JPG[/attachment][attachment=16]DSCN3952.JPG[/attachment][attachment=15]DSCN3953.JPG[/attachment][attachment=14]DSCN3954.JPG[/attachment][attachment=13]DSCN3956.JPG[/attachment][attachment=11]DSCN3958.JPG[/attachment][attachment=10]DSCN3959.JPG[/attachment][attachment=9]DSCN3960.JPG[/attachment][attachment=8]DSCN3961.JPG[/attachment][attachment=7]DSCN3966.JPG[/attachment][attachment=6]DSCN3968.JPG[/attachment][attachment=5]DSCN3969.JPG[/attachment][attachment=4]DSCN3950.JPG[/attachment][attachment=3]DSCN3971.JPG[/attachment][attachment=2]DSCN3972.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]DSCN3973.JPG[/attachment][attachment=0]DSCN3974.JPG[/attachment]I would like to issue special thanks to Susan, owner of the Dinner Bell, and Bob Carson, owner of Spring Creek Classics for sharing a little piece of Wetmore with us today. It sure was a great day to be a ROMEO! Thanks to all of you who made the trek to Wetmore.
Attachments
Bikes were parked all over the place, but everyone eventually made it into the Dinner Bell.
Bikes were parked all over the place, but everyone eventually made it into the Dinner Bell.
A nice breeze helped to mitigate the heat today, kept the flag moving in front of the city hall/post office.
A nice breeze helped to mitigate the heat today, kept the flag moving in front of the city hall/post office.
Bob had a couple of fellows helping out with showing people all the displays.  This gentleman was explaining to Swanee and Allen the intricacies of restoring this car parked out front by the pump.
Bob had a couple of fellows helping out with showing people all the displays. This gentleman was explaining to Swanee and Allen the intricacies of restoring this car parked out front by the pump.
What a beauty this 1937 was, gleaming in the sun.
What a beauty this 1937 was, gleaming in the sun.
DSCN3953.JPG
DSCN3954.JPG
Bob raised the trunk lid up so you could see how the roof slid down into the trunk.
Bob raised the trunk lid up so you could see how the roof slid down into the trunk.
You could eat off the floor in this showroom.  Everything shined just like when it was new. What's amazing is the keys were in all of these cars so you could just get in and drive them out if you had permission!!
You could eat off the floor in this showroom. Everything shined just like when it was new. What's amazing is the keys were in all of these cars so you could just get in and drive them out if you had permission!!
DSCN3958.JPG
Apparently this young man has permission to permanently skip school.
Apparently this young man has permission to permanently skip school.
This is for all you old Harley guys!
This is for all you old Harley guys!
This old restored garage area is immaculate and full of memorabilia from when the garage was open.
This old restored garage area is immaculate and full of memorabilia from when the garage was open.
This restored working Rock-Ola jukebox was all loaded up and playing old 78's.  Too bad I don't have video of Allen busting a few dance moves from the 60's.  That was worth the ride all by itself.
This restored working Rock-Ola jukebox was all loaded up and playing old 78's. Too bad I don't have video of Allen busting a few dance moves from the 60's. That was worth the ride all by itself.
This third building display has been added recently.  Hope you all made sure to see this one, although it wasn't marked very well as part of the display.
This third building display has been added recently. Hope you all made sure to see this one, although it wasn't marked very well as part of the display.
This 1950 Chevy was all original, and beautifully restored.  Took me back a few years as my next door neighbor from Winona, Kansas had this exact car back in the day.
This 1950 Chevy was all original, and beautifully restored. Took me back a few years as my next door neighbor from Winona, Kansas had this exact car back in the day.
As I was walking back up the street to the cafe, this sign reminded me of how important it is to remember what your English teacher taught you about the appropriate use of apostrophes and the letter s.  That little mark can sure make a difference in meaning if it's in the wrong place!
As I was walking back up the street to the cafe, this sign reminded me of how important it is to remember what your English teacher taught you about the appropriate use of apostrophes and the letter s. That little mark can sure make a difference in meaning if it's in the wrong place!
And yes we still did eat, ROMEO style, although in shifts running for about 2 hours.  The one constant in a lot of these dining pictures is Bucky is sitting in the same place, regaling everyone with his stories, but every 30 minutes or so it's a new group of guys.
And yes we still did eat, ROMEO style, although in shifts running for about 2 hours. The one constant in a lot of these dining pictures is Bucky is sitting in the same place, regaling everyone with his stories, but every 30 minutes or so it's a new group of guys.
Same Bucky, same chair, different guys.
Same Bucky, same chair, different guys.
Although I missed it, we did have a 3 Larry showing here today.  This photo is just a 2 Larry photo.
Although I missed it, we did have a 3 Larry showing here today. This photo is just a 2 Larry photo.
DSCN3974.JPG
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster