Ride report June 3, 2009

The place to discuss anything under the sun.
Klem

Ride report June 3, 2009

Post by Klem »

A day in the flint hills is always a good day. Some of the best riding in Kansas and some of the best scenery. We had a count of 59 show for the combined ride. Less that I figured on but it was raining when some of the guys were ready to leave.

Food was good and some of us had slow service. I talked with the owner on the way out and she said it was raining there and she figured on a smaller turnout, but the real problem was her help didn't show when they should have so she was short handed early on and just got behind. But we are used to surprising places with our turnouts, we always get fed, the food is usually good and after all we are retired.

Was nice to visit with the guys from Salina and Wichita. Would have been fun if the Hutch, and McPherson riders had of made it also. Starting the 17th a third group will be active. So watch for the rides in other areas and feel free to go to any of the posted rides. Always good to meet new people and ride new roads.

See you all next week and ride safe

Don
Motorcycles are like Potato chips One is never enough
shoresr

Re: Ride report June 3, 2009

Post by shoresr »

Don and all Romeo's:
It was a nice ride to and from Alma. Highway 4 out if Topeka was real nice. I am from Leawood, KS and I love riding in the Flint Hills. Don suggested that I ride the "Scenic" road from Alma to Alta Vista before I headed home. It was really nice and I put on 265 mile before I got home. Below is a link to some pictures I snapped at lunch on on the "scenic" byway. You don't have to register and make sure you view as a "slide show".

Thanks Don for the tip!! and the well planned lunch. "Service was slow?" hey who's in a hurry. I don't think anyone cared, good job, and thanks again.

Roger

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/recei ... mzhk2csmco

Guys, don't forget to use the Google map to find directions to the lunch locations. I put both Central and East and will start putting South Central on. If I can keep up. Ride Safe

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... de18f8&z=7
TomK

Post by TomK »

I would hate to crew up for our undetermined number each week. It was clear that one of the cooks didn't want to be there early when she said she was hoping for cold and wet weather. Not our problem but the owner seemed really pleased when I told her thanks for opening especially for our group. I hope many of us say thanks to the manager or owner before we leave each week. In this case they did not have to accomodate us. Sometimes slow service is exactly why some of us show up early. Also gives us time to look at bikes and yack in the parking lot. Anyway, I'm outta here.

Tom
Klem

Post by Klem »

Most generally I call the next day and thank them for having us. Also ask if all went well for them and if there were any problems and if they are willing to have us back. As Tom said it is very hard for them to judge for us. The person setting up the ride can't predict the turnout. We try to give them a best guess on past experience and the weather but that is just a guess. Most don't really believe we will have the turnout we do have. In fact sometimes I'm still surprised. If the wait staff is young and inexperienced they have a hard time keeping 60 old men in riding gear identified. Just imagine the conversation between to young girls. "Who is this for?" "Some old guy in a bright green shirt". But all in all I think we treat them well and with no exceptions I think they all do the best they can. In most cases I don't think we have any more problems now than when 10 to 15 were making the ride. I only heard one real complaint yesterday. and that is normal. As they rush to get food out to so many in such a short time, mistakes will be made.

Ride Safe

Don

PS

As usual I been chasing my butt today but finally did make the call to Connie at the Northshore at lake Wabaunsee. She said that she really enjoyed having us all there and apologised for being disorginized. This was the first and only time they had opened for lunch this year and just didn't have it together. I don't know about you, but I think I'm ready to give her an second chance in the fall. Can you imagine how nice it will be out there in October?
Motorcycles are like Potato chips One is never enough
shoresr

Post by shoresr »

Definitely give them another run. The trip there makes up for anything that could go wrong. Highway 4 or Highway 99 to get there or leave is beautiful. These are some of the best roads to see the Flint Hills. The road around the lake was very nice, although I didn't go through the water running over the spillway like some of the BMW guys did. I guess I might be chicken. Your description of the ride from Alma to Alta Vista is "right on". I agree we can't expect too much from these places but in every case they do the best they can. I hope I don't get cranky when I get old. ;)
Roger S.
PS Thanks "Klem" for putting up with us and giving us wonderful places to meet and visit each Wednesday. We all appreciate all you guys do.
John D Davis

Post by John D Davis »

What Don said + 1 :D :D . Corwin and I rode some 290 miles for the privledge of riding Route 4, enjoyed the food and service and the friendship, not to mention the rainless weather. We came up 75 and lefted at New Strawn, through Lebo to 171 to 99 and the scenery was excellent. The route to Chanute was 31 all the way from 99, into Burlingame where Don taught us how to put our hands on a mother and daughter :lol: :lol:. Thence to Overbrook, Pomona, Williamsburg and Garnet, where there is a DQ. 'Twas a good time for a stop. Looking forward to the "fall" trip to Alma. Well done, Don :mrgreen: .
Drive now, talk later