British Bike Meet June 1

A place to list other riding events. Anyone is welcome to announce any kind of group ride - whether it is for just a handful of riders or for a major event.
Klem

British Bike Meet June 1

Post by Klem »

Once again we are having a British Bike Meet at the Santa Fe Cafe in Burlingame Ks. For those that have English bikes, new or old, this is the time to get them out and show your pride in them. Of course if you don't have a British Bike you will want to come just to look at and talk about this important part of our riding past and present.

This will be a no cost Meet and Greet event. Jeanne is of course open for business as usual, so come and join in on the fun from 1000-1400 June 1, 2013

Attachments
bbm.docx
(2.27 MiB) Downloaded 97 times
Motorcycles are like Potato chips One is never enough
arkyleo

Re: British Bike Meet June 1

Post by arkyleo »

I am planning on being there. It is 106 miles from the LaCygne Rally that same weekend. My first big bike was a 1962 Triumph TR-6 and I have had a soft spot for the "Limey Bikes" ever since. Arkyleo. :D
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT-LTD Red
2024 Triumph Speed 400 Blue
roginoz

Post by roginoz »

I'll be posting this as a RTE for the ST-Owners group and our Kansas MSTA members. They're a good fit with the ROMEOs (some are members of all three groups.) Maybe we can get a good sized group together.
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
Klem

Post by Klem »

b
shovelmike

Post by shovelmike »

I am going to try to make this one, I no longer have a Brit bike. Riding American bikes as well I couldn't ever keep my feet educated as to which one was to shift and which one had braking duties. (This was before the government standardized things) I still miss the old girl at times though!
roginoz

Post by roginoz »

Four of us rode up from my place in Wichita: Mickey on his Multistrada, Fred on an FJ1200, Raymond on my ST1300 (his is down for a new universal joint,) and me on the XR1200X. We ran into Beemer Bill, Lee, Klem, and a bunch of the ROMEO group. It was a good day for a ride: the Flint Hills are green and once again filled with grazing cattle, and the weather was pretty comfortable (even without a fairing.)
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
BeemerBill

Post by BeemerBill »

Don, We had a great time today....Great ride (except for a little wind...both ways too), great tire kicking with some really good people. Like Roger said, Lee Sevart ('03 Bonneville), Al Campbell ('12 Tiger 800), Steve Diddion ( '12 wing), and myself ('02 Bonneville), rode up from Wichita (290 miles round trip) (at least the route we rode anyway), talked with several friends that I don't get to see nearly often enough, had some good food..... Hey, I'm ready to do that again !!!! I just want to thank you Don for putting this together, it looked like a pretty good turnout. Wish there were a few more of the vintage Brit bikes there though, maybe next time.....
Thanks again and good talking with you, Bill
BeemerBill
Two-Lane Blacktop isn't a Highway---It's an Attitude
swanee

Post by swanee »

>Wish there were a few more of the vintage Brit bikes<

Yep me too. OTOH, without offering "ego candy" in the form of ribbons to be won, you ain't gonna attract the trailer queens. Doing a formal show with prizes raises it to a whole 'nuther level of complexity and expense. Vintage Brits at this sort of event will be limited to guys like Steve Hart who live in this region, have oldsters they still actually ride, and are nice enough to bring them so we can drool.

There were several OLD non-British bikes that attended. I think everybody enjoyed seeing those nostalgic rides too. Maybe if we called then next one "British AND Vintage" it would attract more of them.
BeemerBill

Post by BeemerBill »

Well, I have to agree with Klem on that one.... A no fee, no ribbon "ride in" is much better than having a bunch of haul-ins there for a trophy. I would much rather look at bikes that are ridden than some shinny trophy someone has too much money in and doesn't ride. But that's my opinion only. Klim has a good thing there and hopefully he'll keep it that way, a "British Bike Gathering", where all bikes are welcome. Hard to beat that philosophy, again that's my opinion....
I didn't see you there swanee, my bad, wish I could have "kicked tires" with you some.... Next time.
Thanks again Klem, I had a great time.... Bill
BeemerBill
Two-Lane Blacktop isn't a Highway---It's an Attitude
swanee

Post by swanee »

Likewise Bill--I was there.

AGREE this event should STAY like it is (except maybe for the "British AND Vintage" to attract even more interesting old bikes). Most definitely the FREE part should stay that way 8-)
Klem

Post by Klem »

Thanks to all that came. I always welcome a chance to talk about bikes, new or old. It appears that there is enough interest to have a Meet, gathering or ride in again in the fall. If anyone has preference to date, or between Saturday/Sunday please let me know. Probably best all this discussion be held with email. For all of you that didn't make this event, you missed a good time. Nice weather, plenty of bikes and tons of conversation. About forgot, good food too.