Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 3-18-09

Moderator: Roadpounder

Richard

Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 3-18-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - Here's one for 'ya. It's different but enjoyable. Has a nice seating area and a buffet that should move things right along. There's many differing ways to get there and the weather guy says it will be close to 70 degrees if he is to be believed.
After a week inside waiting out the cold it will feel good to have a bit of warmth. I haven't scheduled this one too far off because air is showing in my rear tire and I'm a bit apprehensive about going much further than I care to push. Hopefully by Bartlesville I'll have a new rear slipper on the C-50 so I can really strut the Boulevard at Bartlesville....which reminds me....

Next week is our ROMEO Rendezvous in Bartlesville so if you haven't made your reservations yet, 'ya better be doing it soon.
And, because we want everyone to go if they can, we're taking away any enticement that may work against you going, so there will be no regular Wednesday Lunch Ride held on the same day as the outing. Sorry!

Here's the place....................................Gambino's Pizza
(locally owned and operated)
102 North Broadway
Sterling, Kansas 67579
Tony Smith, Owner
620-278-3400

As always..........................ride careful, ride safe and I'll see you in Sterling. Richard
Richard

Re: Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride Report for 3-18-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - The final total on attendance today was a whopping 49 bikes. If I include my passenger Joyce that equates to a headcount of 50. We're not all about headcount here but it does reflect the interest you guys show in these lunch rides and the positive support for doing what we do.
From my perspective, it certainly wouldn't be this much fun to labor over finding these little places if all I ever heard was grumbling but I can honestly say that I hear only good things from you guys about how you do enjoy these rides and the neat little places we go to. You obviously look forward to these Wednesday lunch rides as much as I do!

Now, I mentioned that I only hear of the good things....well, let me start at the beginning. I had my hearing checked this past week. I knew it was deteriorating a bit (tinnitus - ringing in the ears) and I just got the wild hair to have 'em checked out. In the process, my wife had to get involved in the test as part of the procedure and to make a long story short....for the base tones I was OK but for women's and childrens voices and group situations I dropped off the chart. I can't hear squat!
I ended up with a pair of digital hearing aids to take home and try out to experience in real life situations. Let me tell 'ya that they were remarkable. I heard things that I've not heard in years. Literally!
These things come at a high cost though. Regular MSRP of the things was over 7 large and the top of the line with blue tooth capability whatever that is is over 8 grand. Fortunately there was a sale going on and for only 5222.00 I could latch onto this good deal 'till the end of the month.
Now, I was born at night but it wasn't last night. This just sounded like a sales pitch to me so I didn't agree to anything but the trial test. They really do work well and I do like 'em! But..............
I was caught in a delima. Do I want to pay that much for such a little item? And, how might they work on the bike under a helmet. Could they get blown out and lost. Many questions crossed my mind.
I was counselled by friends that I was living the best of all worlds right now in not being able to hear Joyce most of the time and to a 'FIX' that would lead to disaster. Words to be considered for sure!
So yesterday, the day before the lunch ride, the audiologist showed up at the house with papers in hand ready to sign on the dotted line. I was prepared! I had made a decision! PROCRASTINATE! Always a good plan when you don't have a firm decision made.
Today is different however. After lunch some of us went in search of ice cream and headed over to McPherson toward the Dairy Queen but took a slight detour to Richners cycle shop on the way there. We were looking at all the accessories, helmets, used bikes, etc. and then stopped to check out all his new scooters.
I've been looking for a bit larger engine for Joyce and they had a couple honeys on the floor. One in particular caught my eye and that of Louie at the same time. We were checking out the price when he said hey Rich, this one's cheaper than just one ear. I looked at the sale tag and sure enough, I could have gotten two 150cc scooters complete with ABS and change for the price of hearing aids.
Naturally, I had to show Joyce, just to put things in perspective you understand. We called her over to look at the price and discussed the 'VALUE' of our discovery and....she was not impressed. She even indicated where I could put the change!
I'll not go there!
I'm still pondering the question, but a bike in the garage seems a lot neater than a tube in the ear and change up an unmentioned orifice.