IRONBUTT Have you every thought about doing an Ironbutt Ride

Moderators: Bob K., leesonthree, LongJohn

shoresr

IRONBUTT Have you every thought about doing an Ironbutt Ride

Post by shoresr »

Ironbutt.jpg
Ironbutt.jpg (16.46 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
I am sure you have seen bikes with this license plate bracket. You can have one, too!!

(I added Step 6 on Monday June 4, 2012)

As most of you know I have done several Iron Butt rides. I get a lot of questions about these rides. So on June 6, 2012 I am setting up an Iron Butt ride that you are welcome to take part in. I am planning the IronButt Saddle Sore 1000. This is riding 1000 miles in 24 hours.

I will be riding I-70 from Kansas City to Limon, CO and back, 1038 miles. I have selected this route and I am posting this on under the Rides tab, because it is possible for anyone to do the ride who can get to I-70. You can start anywhere you want at any time you want. You can start in Manhattan, Salina, Junction City, anywhere there is a filling station close by. For example you can start in Manhattan, ride to Limon, then to Kansas City and back to Manhattan. I suggest starting early and ride away from the sun as much as possible. The more guys or gals we have on the road the more help will be available in case help is needed.

Right now I have four guys riding. I will be posting tips and suggestions for planning a successful Ironbutt ride. If you want to be included on my email list send me your email address at twowheels2eat@gmail.com This is to be safe and fun. We won't ride if the weather conditions aren't good. Think about it. You will never have a better opportunity. There is no reservations required, you can decide not to ride the day of and you can quit at anytime.

To find out more about the Iron Butt Association
http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdo ... fm?DocID=1

Currently, I am not planning on turning in my ride. I have done it 3 times. I am just doing this to help, assist, coach and answer question. I feel my Iron Butt experiences have taught me a lot about riding and a lot about myself. It is something you will never forget and always be proud of.

I hope you will join us,

Roger A. Shores IBA #41680 (http://www.ironbutt.com/rides/rideslogin.cfm ) (control key + F)
Saddle Sore 1000 ....1000 miles in 24 hours 3 times
Bun Burner 1500 .....1500 miles in 36 hours
Bun Burner Gold......1500 miles in 24 hours
Saddle Sore 2000.....2000 miles in 2 days
Saddle Sore Gold.....2000 miles in 36 hours
50 CC....................Coast to Coast in less than 50 hours.[attachment=1]080.JPG[/attachment]

Step 2:

I have had a couple guys say they were interested in doing an IRONBUTT ride but they were not too sure. So I have offered my help and assistance. Knowing, what I do about you, I thought this might be something that might be of interest to you. Anyway, I thought I would check with you and see if you're interested. The guy that has gotten me into this still works. I gave him some dates that work for me. Right now he is planning on June 6, but I am waiting for a firm confirmation, before I go too far. We will cancel if it is not a good day for riding, rain, wind heat. There is no use in making it unpleasant. That is one good thing about an Ironbutt ride, it is you and you alone. You don't have to tell anyone when you are going to do it or that you have decided not to do it. It is all about gas receipts, and make sure they have the correct date, tirme, gallons, and location. Below is a link to their website where you can download the appropriate forms.

My tentative plan is to ride out I-70 to Limon, CO turn around and come back.
We would leave from the QuikTrip at 107th and Roe.
It is 1038 miles roundtrip
I usually average 68 mph
That is 15:15 riding time without gas stops
I figure gas at around 200 miles. Some less some more that is 5 gas stops. I figure gas stops at 15 minutes. Put in 6 gas stops 1:30 for gas stops.
Total time 16 hrs and 45 minutes.

I like to maximize daylight so a 5 or 6 am start is good. That may seem early, but trust me you will be awake early and excited.

That should have us home not later than 10:00 pm

You seem to know your body and what foods it needs to keep going long hours, most people don't. I pack everything with me so I don't have to stand in line to check out. That takes to long. A little cooler or cooler bag is nice. Hard sided makes things easier to get.
My experience tells me I need 3-4 substantial meals, that I eat while riding or gobble during the gas stop. When I start at 5 or 6, even after eating a breakfast before I start, I will be starved around 9:00 am. Probably the hungriest of the day. I will probably take a subway footlong for two meals and the third? (by the end of the day I am sick of subways and they aren't looking very good.

Plenty of energy and breakfast bars. Watch out for things that melt. Some of the bars are soft and chewy and they are really messy and hard to unwrap while riding.

3-5 in the afternoon is a down time for me. Gatorade is my salvation!! Usually I mix it half and half with water unless I am really hurting, then it is a full bottle, full strength and probably a chocolate candy bar. This is usually a longer break.

I, too like to have candy to suck on---lemon drops life savers etc.

This is the SADDLE SORE 1000. You have 24 hours to ride 1000 miles. Most ride it straight and complete it in 18 to 19 hours with gas stops. Here is a link to the guides lines and how to get your certificate.
http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdo ... fm?DocID=1

If you are interested and we'll set a date, I will post this on the Romeo website and open it to anyone else that might be interested. This is a neat riding accomplishment that those who have done it are really proud of. You can bet that everyone who has done one puts that license plate on their bike and after the first they usually do more rides. It is really not as hard as it sounds. Guys just need a little nudge to get them started.

Oh yes, this is just my way of doing it. You have 24 hours to do it in, so if you can stay up 19-20 hours just riding along at 55 mph, but I won't be with you. I am old and like to be in bed by TEN

http://www.ironbutt.com/rides/ssbbfin1. ... N=97094862

STEP 3: 5/26/12 WE ARE 10 DAYS BEFORE THE RIDE (5 guys have indicated to me that they want to try this)

By now I hope you have snooped around on the Ironbutt site. You need to download the forms. Witnesses can be at anytime, they don't need to be present at the beginning or end of the ride. Since I am not a participant I can witness or your wife or any friend. I think they are just trying to keep the "dogs and monkeys" from getting certified. This is legitimate and they have integrity.

Preparation, don't change or do anything different the day before this ride without checking it out or testing it in advance. On your bike or you. For example, don't go out and decide to buy a new seat or new helmet the day before the ride. Sure it is ok to buy a new seat or helmet to do this ride, but do it now and break it in or try it out BEFORE you do the Ironbutt. The same goes for your bike. Don't have work done on your bike or do work on your bike and then saddle up and try riding 1000 miles. You wouldn't go buy a new pair of hiking boots and start up Pike's Peak the next day. We all get excited and get great ideas the closer the day comes. Do it sooner than later!!

Spend so time thinking about how you think the ride will be the best for you. I had a good visit with Harold (Jr) yesterday. He lives in Hoyt, KS. That looks to be 30-40 miles of Topeka. He wants to try this on a Vulcan 750. He's a better man than I am!! But we were discussing his "plan of attack". He has already figured out gas is going to be a problem. He can only go about 140 miles. He says he is pretty familiar with the stations along I-70 and he is going to carry an extra gallon of gas. I will also have some gas with me. Harold says he knows he can't do this in 15-16 hours, and he has not problem with riding the extra hours or maybe taking a nap. Harold is thinking about starting a hour before daylight and may ride down to the east turnpike entrance to start his ride. I just did a google map from Hoyt, KS to Strasburg, CO. It's 505 miles. Harold, I think that would work for you. A word about miles. You have to prove your miles. Make sure you have gone 1000 miles!! Most bike odometer are not accurate. The best is a GPS, but if you don't have one check your route with at least 2 mapping programs and you might ask someone else to verify your calculations. If in doubt go the extra mile. I can't imagine doing all the riding and then having them say, "oh by the way you are two miles short." You are responsible for documenting your route. You do this with a map and gas receipts. I have found they are good people and if you are not trying to cheat you will have not problem getting certified. Harold said, "make sure you waive when you go by!!" We need some way to identify ourselves to fellow IRONBUTT riders. Any ideas?? How much are those orange safety vests?

Monday May 28, 2012 (9 days before the ride)
STEP 4: YOUR BODY ON A LONG DISTANCE RIDE

A side note: I hope you will read the note that Steve sent in. It should be below this somewhere. He is the guy that read my first announcement, got excited, got on his bike and did the ride. You can do that, too and at anytime you feel like. I am not writing all this stuff to scare you or try to make you think I am some "hardcore" rider. I am only trying to give you some ideas that might make the ride more fun and more enjoyable. You don't have to suffer to do this ride.
[attachment=0]003.JPG[/attachment]
FOOD: Above is a picture of most of the stuff I packed and took with me on my Coast to Coast ride. I think you can recognize most of the things in the picture. Try to plan so you don't have to buy anything during the ride. Looking for what you want or deciding what you want and waiting in line to pay takes way too much time. On an IronButt Gold ride I had to eat everything on the bike at 75mph. Not a good idea and is not recommended. On this ride you don't have to do that. Just depends on what time you want to get home. My stops get a lot longer in the afternoon, so you might want to make the morning stops faster. One thing that is reoccurring in most things I read about IronButt rides is NO Caffeine!! Every morning I have 3 to 4 cups of coffee. I do the same on an IronButt ride day. I think I would feel worse if I didn't have my coffee. I try to change my daily routine as little as possible. Last week a rider said he thought getting a 5 Hour Energy drink might be a good idea. I asked him if he had ever tried one of those. He said he had not. I suggested that maybe on a IronButt Ride was not the place to try one. You know your body, listen to it. Make as many decisions and try them out before the ride. After 12 hours in the saddle you don't think as clearly and you don't make as good of decisions.

Probably the most important thing is hydration. Drink plenty of water. With the wind and sun you lose a lot more moisture than you realize. In the late morning and late afternoon I start mixing Gatorade with my water, half and half, unless I am really feeling hot and tired, then I start drinking the Gatorade straight. It helps with your electrolytes. Missing from the picture are my Subway Sandwiches. I usually by a foot long and eat one half for lunch and the other for supper. Make sure you get something that will keep. I usually leave lettuce off. It gets soggy and almost inedible. Putting your food in a hard sided (easy to find things and they don't get mashed) six pack cooler is good.

CLOTHING: Hopefully, temperature won't be a major concern on this ride. It should be a little chilly when you start out in the morning, but it will warm up pretty fast. Layers are always a good idea. When the sun goes down, because you have been hot all day you will get cold, even if it is 78 degrees. Again, layers, put them on take them off. Make yourself comfortable. Although it is up to the individual I suggest keeping as much skin covered as possible and use sun screen. Take it with you and apply during the day. Cooling items, vest, clothes, neck things and all nice. Steve said he used a "camel" and drank 5 liters of water! Do whatever you can to make yourself comfortable. Raingear: That is up to you. No one says you have to ride in the rain if you don't want to. Don't ride, suit up or quit. Ride your own ride.

STEP 5: Some final thoughts...BEFORE THE RIDE!

I really benefited from Steve's comments. He made the following comments that I thought were helpful:
1. Get everything ready the night before
2. Leave early and try to avoid "rush hour"
3. Don't ride fast! You lose all the time you gain, to reduced miles per gallon, resulting in more fuel stops.
4. Don't make phone calls.
5. Bring all food. It takes too much time to buy food along the way.
6. See if you can make a 15 minute stop. Gas and bathroom only. Don't take time to eat. Load your pockets with what you want to eat or drink before the next fuel stop. (It is not safe to eat or drink while riding.)
7. Steve says he could have cut of 90 minutes and 35 miles. That is up to you. It is easy to say after you have completed the ride. Steve completed the ride safely and in less than 24 hrs. Congratulations, Steve.

STEP 6 (I added this step on Monday June 4, 2012)

The day is almost here. I don't have a lot to add to what I have already sent you. The weather looks warm but OK. It looks like high of 88 and breezy. I came from Hot Springs today and it got to 95. It was warm but the humidity was low so it didn't feel hot. None of us drink enough water, so think water and lots of it.

If you are planning on starting with me at the QuikTrip at 10700 Roe at 6:00 am June 6, I would appreciate it if you would let me know, so I can be looking for you. I will probably get there about 5:30 am. I am suggesting taking the turnpike to Topeka. If you are going that way the toll is $2.50. I suggest you have that ready and in your pocket. If you are coming back that way you will need another $2.50 for the return trip. You certainly don't have to take the turnpike. I just chose that for speed and time.

I assume you have downloaded your IBA forms and have witnesses lined up or you're going to have me sign them. You do not have to find someone at 6 in the morning or 10 at night to sign the forms, but you do have to have a receipt that will start you ride and a receipt that will end your ride. If you take a route other than what I suggest make sure you ride enough miles!!

Make sure your receipts have date, time, and location as well as gallons. Since we are going and coming on the same route we have to make it clear to IBA the order in which our receipt fall. If you add gas from a container not purchased at a gas station make sure you note it so your MPG doesn't go askew.

Right now I have eight guys on my list. Barton B, Bill, B, Howard V., Harold T (Jr) & Roger (maybe), Rex C. Steve B and Terry G. That is quite amazing. Guys are starting at various times and places. I think it would be good if we shared cell phone numbers. If you have a cell phone send it to me and I will send it out to everyone. My number is 816-804-7828. The more guys we have on the road the better the odds of having someone around if someone needs assistance.

Remember safety first, ride your own ride. There is absolutely nothing wrong in quitting. You are just smarter than the rest of us. This is a personal challenge and it can be done any time you feel like it.

This may be my last message. If it is, I wish you all good luck and a safe trip. Keep the rubber side down and I hope to see you along the road.

Roger S.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************
5/26/12 9:30 pm
Bill B. forwarded my email about the IronButt ride to a friend. He took off and did it. His comments are current, relevant and good. I hope you read them.

to Bill, me
Hi Roger,

Looking forward to meeting you... Thanks for the instructions, I could not have made the ride without your plan...

To summarize:

1) Start about 8am. However, wasted nearly an hour on misc BS.

2) Hit traffic on 435. wasted another 10 minutes.

>>> KEY - Listen to Roger leave by 6 am. Get everything ready and packed the night before. >>>>

3) 1st gas stop west side of salina about 200 miles, light came on.

4) Throttle slipped away and was hitting 80-85 in 20-35 MPH wind gusts. 35 MPG. Learned to keep under 80 mph. 2nd stop in Oakley KS about 180 miles. At 180 miles I was ready to get off bike.

>>>> KEY - Keep speed down. It kills mileage.

5) Construction west of salina. down to 2 lanes. Speed limit is down to 60 mph for about 30-50 miles. Both directions. Adds about 30 minutes to trip.

6) Needed to make business phone calls. Wasted about 30 minutes.

>>>>> KEY POINT - No business on trip.

7) Next Stop Limon CO - Gas and city hall photo - Get papers signed. Spent $4.11 per gallon for gas. Expensive.

8) Gas stop - Oakley KS - About 180 Miles

9) Gas Stop - Salina - About 180 Miles

10) last stop OP quik Trip.

Food - Protein bars, shakes, trail mix, about 5 liters of water.

>>>>>>> KEY - Bring all food. "Waiting in line is a waste of time." Roger. I was stuck behind a guy that had to wait for him to look up his account number at the truck stop... 1st stop 35 minutes! >>>>>

>>>KEY - Stops need to be fast. 15 minutes is nearly impossible. need to practice to get it done. Clean windshield, gas, pee, eat two bars, back on bike.

Total Time 17 hrs 42. Could knock off 90 minutes or more if I listened to Roger. 1089 Miles - Could knock off 25 miles.

Note it gets real cold after about 10 pm. needed another stop at toll booth to put on cold weather gear. Best to be home by then.

Note - If you hold the gas receipt just over the speedometer you can get a readable picture of the receipt, the bike clock and the odometer in one photo.

Thanks Roger, I could not have done it without your instructions. I told Bill, I am glad I did it but would not do it again...

I just discovered it is exactly 758 miles from Overland Park to the Canadian Border? Directly north on I29. 1500 miles in 36 hours.... What do you think? You wanna go? Definitely that would be my last IBA ride....

Best regards,
Steve
*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Attachments
The welcome home after completing the 50CC
The welcome home after completing the 50CC
Melissa packs for me!!  On bag says Protein Bars and the other Breakfast Bars
Melissa packs for me!! On bag says Protein Bars and the other Breakfast Bars
shoresr

Re: IRONBUTT Have you every thought about doing an Ironbutt

Post by shoresr »

I just noticed that 41 people have been curious enough about IRONBUTT to read my message. If you want to follow our progress check back. I will be adding things as we get closer to the ride. We are now 10 days away and we have 5 guys planning on doing this. The new stuff will be dated and be at the bottom. I just added the Step 2 and Step 3. 5/26/12 at 1:30 pm Roger
Klem

Post by Klem »

Roger as you said many have done this including myself. The ride we did was from Emporia to Waco and back 1068 miles in 18 hrs. With the ride to Emporia and then back to Topeka, over an hour in Waco buying souvenirs and eating, a short BS session before leaving Emporia and a long one on arrival, I had 1170 miles in 21 hrs on an old Harley. I had a good time going on the ride and had made plans for some of the other longer Iron Butts when life got in the way. By the time I got things back under control the interest was no longer there.

A couple of observations if I may. First is you must approach this with purpose, it is not hard to do, but you need the mind set that you have a goal. You must seriously hydrate while you are riding. If you do not have a Camel Back or similar way to drink while riding make sure you have at least one full bottle of water each stop. Freezing part of your water to use as ice for the other food/water saves room if that is a problem. Select a riding partner with a similar fuel range. It is easy for a guy with a longer range to crowd his buddy into an empty tank. Probably the most important is do not press on if fatigued. You have about six hours to play with. If you need to stop and rest, you even have time to get a motel, sleep a few hours and finish up.

Don
Motorcycles are like Potato chips One is never enough
swanee

Post by swanee »

Hey Roger,
For those interested, you can now count multiple IBA-certified rides toward Mile Eater Bronze, Silver or Gold. So you still might want to keep receipts, log, witness form etc on that upcoming ride as if you were going to turn it in --just in case you want to use it later toward one of those.

You don't need to pay for an extra SS1K right away if you already have several, but if you keep all the documentation you can turn it later if needed to round out a Mile Eater cert. I think that's how it works anyway.

For details on the new "advanced" Mile Eater levels go to http://www.ironbutt.com/mileeater/

Swanee
IBA #9464
shoresr

Six Riders attempt IRONBUTT 1000 MILES

Post by shoresr »

SIX RIDERS RIDE THE IRON BUTT "SADDLE SORE" 1000. (Ride 1,000 miles in less than 24 hours!!)[attachment=6]IRONBUTT Limon 010.JPG[/attachment]
On Wednesday June 6, 2012 six riders set out to ride 1000 miles.[attachment=3]IRONBUTT Limon 001.JPG[/attachment]Bill started from Leawood, on his Gold Wing. [attachment=5]IRONBUTT Limon 004.JPG[/attachment] Rex started in Independence, MO on a 2010 BMW 1300 GT and joined us in Leawood, KS. [attachment=4]IRONBUTT Limon 002.JPG[/attachment] Barton started in Leawood, KS on his Honda Gold Wing. [attachment=2]IRONBUTT Limon 003.JPG[/attachment] Steve started in Lawrence, on his Gold Wing rode into Leawood. Steve is trying to ride the SaddleSore and the BunBurner (1500 miles in 36 hours) I say IS because when we left him in Lawrence about 9:30 last night he was going to bed and then get up this morning and ride another 500 miles!![attachment=1]IRONBUTT Limon 007.JPG[/attachment] Mick riding his Gold Wing joined us at the service center on the Turnpike in Topeka. The last time we saw Mick was at the QuikTrip in Leawood about 10:30 last night, as he was headed back to Lawrence to make sure he had his 1,000 miles.[attachment=0]IRONBUTT Limon 008.JPG[/attachment]
And then there was Harold or "Junior", the "Iron Man" among "IRON BUTTS" In case you haven't noticed everyone listed so far has comfortable touring bike with more conveniences than most cars have. Harold attempted this ride on a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 750!! The Iron Butt Associate gives special recognition to guys who do Iron Butt rides on this type of bike. Not only did Junior not have the comfort or amenities that the rest of us did. He could only go about 100 miles without refueling. Harold said he would be on a red bike, blue jacket and a white helmet.

By the time we left Topeka we had gathered 6 bikes. Harold was starting his ride in Hoyt, KS, about 18 miles north of Topeka. My plan was to ride from the QuikTrip in Leawood, KS to Limon, CO and back. A total 1,038 miles.
We stopped in Limon, CO for a short break and lunch before starting the return trip back to Leawood.

I had been looking for Harold all day, but I figured we had passed him while he was filling up in some gas station along the way. Just west of Hays way in the distance I thought I saw something WHITE. Yes, it was Harold. He had made the turn in Limon and was heading home. We all stopped with Harold for gas in Hays. He said he had started at 2:30 this morning and was feeling good. He was carrying an extra gallon of gas which he had used. He said he had stopped filling his gas tank on the road, because he was afraid he was getting too much dirty in his tank.

We were all glad to see Harold and everyone gave him a big "Pat" on the back. After we had all filled up, we hit the road again. ALL SEVEN OF US!! Harold set a fast pace of over 75 MPH, but told us to go on when he hit the 100 mile mark when he had to pull off to refuel. We all gave Harold a big wave, and wished him well. It was about four o'clock when we left Harold about 100 miles east of Hays.

I called Harold cell about 10:00 this morning and it sounded like the recording said this is the "LORD". I don't know where Harold is??

For me today was a special for many reasons. Guys joined me with a great deal of doubt. No one knows if they can ride 1000 miles. Most people haven't. No one knows if they can sit in the "saddle" for 16, 17 even 20 hours. Most didn't sleep very well, woke up before the alarm went off. They were as "wired" as if they had been up all night drinking coffee. About Salina, the jitters were gone and the enjoyment started. They finally started enjoying what was around them. The Golden Wheat of Kansas. Harvest is just starting. The Flint Hills. The skies are clear and the temperature is a lovely 72 degrees.

About Goodland, the last stop in Kansas before Colorado. Things started to change. The posture starts to become more erect. There is more confidence. There is talk that this isn't too bad. Hey, we are almost halfway, I might be able to do this.

At Limon they knew they could do it. It was downhill from there. It was about 1 in the afternoon and the GPS's were showing we would be home by 9. Of course, that is with no stops. Can you believe that!!

Between Hays and Russell my boys got "kinda" quiet. The 9 was changing to 9:30 and we still hadn't reached Salina, boy we still have a long way to go. They were not as much fun and they had been.
Then Junction City/Manhattan, they knew they were going to make it. Everyone was tired, it had been a hard trip, but they knew they were going to make it. Bill never lost his wonderful smile and Barton will never grow up. Or I hope not!!

At six this morning I was very important to all the riders. By 10 this evening it didn't matter whether I was there or not. The kids had left the nest and I hope they have many more days of safe and fun riding.

Roger IBA #41680

My Stats:
My GPS said I had ridden 1,047.8 miles (bike said 1089)
My moving average was 70.2 mph
My overall average was 66.3 mph
My max speed was 86.3 mph (I was probably passing someone. We did not go over 80 or 5 over the speed limit.)
Moving time 14:54
Stopped time 53:27
Total time 15:48
We stopped 7 times for gas
I used 29.354 gallons of gas
My gas cost $99.66
The odometer on my bike said 1089 miles (gps 1047.8)
I got 36.9966 mpg
Attachments
Rex, Bill, Harold "Junior", Mick, Steve, Barton
Rex, Bill, Harold "Junior", Mick, Steve, Barton
IRONBUTT Limon 004.JPG
IRONBUTT Limon 002.JPG
IRONBUTT Limon 001.JPG
IRONBUTT Limon 003.JPG
IRONBUTT Limon 007.JPG
IRONBUTT Limon 008.JPG
swanee

Post by swanee »

Good job Roger and congrats to all the new Iron Butts!

You guys made excellent time and sounds like Steve is already chomping at the bit to join the Mile Eaters. From what he wrote, y'all encountered the "ogre" of I-70 across KS (brutal crosswind) that can make a 1000-mile day no picnic even on big touring bikes. But you came through with very impressive time!

Special congrats to Harold. Having run SS1K on a Katana 600 and a Sportster I know what it's like riding a motorcycle that wasn't designed with "long haul" in mind.

Swanee
IBA 9464
TerryBlueRT

Post by TerryBlueRT »

Roger
Congratulations to the whole group!! That's quite an accomplishment! Good report, well wriitten. I'm sorry I didn't go, oh well, But I am still sorting out a new bike to me.