Kansas Bound?

Who are you and what do you ride? Show us your bike!
Groundhog

Kansas Bound?

Post by Groundhog »

Just found you guys. Hi all.

Just got laid off and am considering my options. One idea is to semi-retire back to my home town of Salina, (from Idaho the last 15 years) and let my 93 year old mother take care of me!

The first major concern I have is heat. Having acclimated to mountain weather for over 30 years I'm pretty hesitant to subject myself to the Kansas summer temperatures.

The second was where am I going to ride? Finding the Romeos may have just eased that fear a little.

I ride a 990 KTM Adventure which is decent on the pavement but really just an overgrown dirt bike.

Anyway, I might be joining you in a couple of months?

Mike aka Groundhog
Klem

Re: Kansas Bound?

Post by Klem »

The summer heat is a consideration but then the longer riding season helps compensate. Getting a ride in before noon and then a nice siesta isn't a bad thing.

Lots of DS bikes in the group. Most KLRs and GS, but there are some KTMs, and of course the DR Suzuki.

As you noticed there are several groups of us spread out to keep things a little more even. Always a weekly ride that is a reasonable distance to lunch. If you are in the area we will be having a DS ride after our lunch on May 30, or at least that is the plan.

Don
Motorcycles are like Potato chips One is never enough
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

DS ride sounds good, but I doubt that I'll be there much before mid-summer (if in fact I move to Salina).

The idea has been conjuring up a lot of memories though. One of my first bikes was a 441 Victor that I used pretty much as a dual sport (as well as motocrosser, hare scrambler, enduro bike, etc.) around central KS. in the 60's.
Klem

Post by Klem »

So you were a rich guy. I remember riding an enduro in Mexico Mo. on my Bridgestone and envying all the rich guys on their Victors. But on the bright side I could always start mine.
Motorcycles are like Potato chips One is never enough
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Hey, it always started - unless it left me laying face up in front of the handlebars! About a 50/50 deal I think.

I finally got smart and threw the kick start away and push started it. Not the easiest thing to do after an hour or so of racing in the 4th of July heat! Didn't matter how hard you crashed you kept your hand on the throttle and got it back upright ASAP. 'Cause if you didn't you were finished -too tuckered out to start it!

And yeah, I was very lucky to have it just after high school.

Mike