Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 02-25-09

Moderator: Roadpounder

Richard

Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 02-25-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - I sure hope next wednesday is as nice a day as it is outside right now as I sit here typing out this notice.
This is just one of a whole list of things I have to catch up on after my little 'spill'. It seems that the only way I can get any rest around here is to arrange it, although I don't necessarily recommend my last method.... it worked. I've really had a joyful time tugging on the sympathy card lately. But, everything runs its course and so it seems has this. So.... it's back to work.
I'm 'Back in the Saddle Again' and ready for another lunch ride. This one won't be far because i've neglected this area for way too long even though it's not far away. The main eatery here has now closed and a local bar and grill has picked up the slack but we're not headed there. The local grocery store also provides meals and is also struggling to stay afloat so this is where we will head too Wednesday. Cafe's have been our priority without question but when a community looses it's grocery....well, not much else survives so in the case of this town here's where we should focus this time.
Seating is somewhat limited at this place but if we shift eat, as Don calls it out in his area, we shoud be able to get by but if you're really in a hurry to go, it wouldn't hurt anybodys feelings if you ventured down the street to the Bar and Grill for a bit faster service though I hope you all will be patient here.

Here's the place.....................................Big G's Express & Deli
100 N. Main
Tescott, Kansas 67484
785-283-4400
Veronica Gremmel, Owner

Tescott History:
In 1865, Thomas Eugene Scott came to Kansas while herding sheep across the Midwest. He built a house east of town on a hill that is now known as “Scott’s Hill.” The town began in 1886, and Scott sold the town to Colonel Dean of Kansas City in 1891. In memory of its founder, citizens named the town Tescott after T.E. Scott.

Geography:
Just for the benefit of you 'Dual Sport' kind of guys here's the towns coordinates. Try gett'in here on the backroads using your GPS.Tescott is located at 39°0′43″N 97°52′41″W / 39.01194°N 97.87806°W / 39.01194; -97.87806 (39.012005, -97.878140)[3].
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.3 square miles (0.9 km²), all of it land.

Demographics:
As of the census of 2000, there were 339 people, just our kind of place.

Oh. I should mention that on a scouting trip to Tescott a couple weeks ago, I came up from the South on a road located just at the West edge of Brookville only to find a bridge being worked on and under construction a few miles from Tescott. I got across by judiciously laying some timber down and making ramps on both the South and North edge of the new unfinished bridge so it can be done but be very careful.

As always..........................ride careful, ride safe and I'll see you in Tescott. Richard
Richard

Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride Report for 02-25-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - When I posted this ride notice I indicated that I hoped the weather would cooperate. It did in spades! Seldom has a Wednesday lunch ride been as enjoyable. Warm weather, no wind to speak of and good road all the way. What a day!
Temperature on a bank sign in Ellsworth registering 77 degrees February afternoon. Unheard of!
Don had a larger turnout for the day in his Eastern ride with 58 but I was quite pleased with our 39. We filled both sides of the North block of Main Street with as diverse a package of iron as could be imagined including one of those new Thoroughbred Stallions that are made in Texas. In bright Canary Yellow no less. C.J. now no longer has his Can-Am Spyder. No problem seeing this one on the road even at night, it probably glows.
Food at the cafe/grocery, I thought, was delicious. Barbecue beef, potato chips, beans and a drink. Yummy. With a drink Five bucks!
Food was on special so you just sat down and whammo....it was in front of you. With total seating of only 12 they did a remarkable job of moving us through. And you guys were very patient. A couple guys did head south to the other place to share the wealth and reported a fine meal there as well.
The trip over was particularly invigorating for at least one of our guys. Emory Witt, on his bright RED Vespa nearly had an incident. I happened to be following Emory when all of a sudden I saw brake lights and, I swear, smoke from his tires as he grabbed the binders as FIVE large deer ran right in front of him from one side of the road to the other. It was a beautiful site so see from where I was sitting but probably not from his perspective.
Lunch lingered today which I love to see. Folks seemed to be so happy to be out on their bikes that extra time was taken up visiting with each other on the street. The camaraderie was infectious.
Someone however mentioned pie and ice cream and off we went to Ellsworth to sample it but not before checking out the giant wind generator farm South of Lincoln. Must have been more wind on top of those hills than down below on the road which suited me.
Louie had the last piece of cherry on his plate when Joyce and I arrived so I took the next best thing....butterscotch. She took some fluffy kind and then the rest of the guys arrived. Wouldn't 'ya know, they had just picked up another cherry pie. I should'a waited! Oh, well!