Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 7-13-11

Moderator: Roadpounder

Richard

Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 7-13-11

Post by Richard »

Guys - Since the last ROMEO lunch ride wasn't well attended due to the shabby weather early in the morning, it's almost like we didn't even have a ride North at all since just four of us got to enjoy the wonderful day of exploring. But since so many of you missed out on such a great area, I think we'll just try it again.
Thanks to Randy from Clay Center who led me onto some places I wasn't even aware of, we have some brand spanking new places to go to and boy are they neat. One of 'em is even hard to find on the map, but I guarantee it's there because I've been there and had a wonderful time visiting with the kind folks who've gambled everything on this venture for the good of serving their community in providing a place for people to go.
I normally try to give a little history and rundown of the community we're going to but this one is quite elusive with hardly anything available. It is quite unique in terms of places we visit. Yet, don't be concerned because I think you will be pleased but do be patient. They're just new to this!

Here's the place.....................The St. Joe Store
2801 Noble Road
St. Joseph Kansas 66938
785-446-2801
Pat & Jo Girard, Owners

I should mention here to alleviate some concerns about getting there that the road from the North is fully paved as well as the road from the West. It's sandy gravel directly to the South and to the East however. One can easily get there on pavement by going North out of Miltonvale and heading east on the first paved road or as I did earlier by heading South just prior to Clyde. Your GPS is mostly useless!

As always........ride careful, ride safe and I'll see you in St. Joe. Richard
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys - ROMEO history was made on this lunch ride. This is the smallest town with a cafe that we have been to according to records. Population of 12 was what I was told reside there permanently but they added that it swells to about 20 during the holidays.
I had the neatest plan ever going into the week. I had told Joyce to pack up tuesday because we were going on a mystery trip. I had planned on taking off on the bike with her on the back and meandering around the back roads up North checking out some of the little towns along the border that I haven't had a chance to go to and then stop in at Concordia to see the orphan train museum as well as a few other notable stops in the vicinity but just prior to the day, the hotel in Clyde called and said 'sorry' we're full that night'. Bummer! Of course it's never good to go back on a plan but what else could I do. Joyce even said that it 'would have been fun'. A night in the old historic hotel and breakfast on the deck above the street overlooking the street at the 'french quarter down the street. What better plan could a guy come up with. All to have the rug pulled out from under. Oh well, the cat got let out of the bag when she overheard me play my message about the plan and then knew it was shot. We were even to arrive first at St. Joseph for lunch the next morning.
The day however turned out the coolest day of the week and riding up wasn't all that uncomfortable.
Eighteen ROMEOS partook of the only full time business in town. There were a couple of part time welding and repairs shops tn St. Joseph but nothing else. An old abandoned Catholic church was there but not in use anymore.
Arrangements had been made for us to tour it and we did on grand scale. We walked up the two blocks en masse to view it and the stained glass windows were gorgeous! The diocese were planning on tearing it down I'm told but the citizens of the town formed a preservation society to keep it open for folks like us to see.
Special for the day at the cafe was pan fried chicken and it was just like momma used to make. Chicken grease gravy over the mashed potatoes...brought back wonderful memories of very special dinners.
I take off my hat to the kind folks that have ventured into this risky business. Just think about it. To invest in a business in a town of 12 people....talk about faith!
A couple of new members were on hand today and one of them won the coveted title of high mileage with his buddy coming in second place. Henry Burmeister from Holyrood rode in 129 miles on his Yamaha 1300 while his buddy Norm Parker from the same town was just shy 4 miles with 125. Congratulations guys and it was good having you with us today Henry.
As usual after lunch we broke up and each headed his own way but some of us remembered AGENDA and their neat little ice cream shop and headed there. The butter brickle sundae with butterscotch topping was great and it was only 1.50 tax included. Check it out sometime.
Attachments
Picture 1497.jpg
Picture 1516.jpg
Picture 1514.jpg
Picture 1515.jpg
Picture 1506.jpg
Picture 1505.jpg
Picture 1501.jpg
Picture 1502.jpg
Picture 1498.jpg
Picture 1499.jpg
Picture 1500.jpg
Last edited by Richard on Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Richard

Re: Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 7-13-11

Post by Richard »

chronoology
Last edited by Richard on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Post by Richard »

chrono adj.*
fifthave

Post by fifthave »

Hey Richard....This is "Randy" from Clay Center Not Ralph unless you have been talking to your local Chief Of Police in that Swedish city...whom I went to High School with. If you ever need a little dirt on him let me know...although I do need to be good to him he did give me the key to your city when I last paid him a visit....the key he gave me looked pretty old and I am sure they have changed the locks by now.....Randy
wil6831

Post by wil6831 »

Some pictures from St. Joseph, KS. Yep, we went to church.
Attachments
100_0492.JPG
100_0499.JPG
100_0502.JPG
L 006.jpg
L 009.jpg
Leonard, Hull, GA
2004 Royal Enfield Bullet (gone)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (sold)
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100