Another "Non-Ride" January 26

roginoz

Post by roginoz »

Ty's Diner - 928 W. Second, Wichita
11:00 AM

It looks like it's going to be a little chilly tomorrow, and John is attending to other matters, so I'm posting another unofficial drive/ride lunch for January 26.

Anyone who feels the need for a good burger, or is just experiencing low cholesterol, can join us at Ty's Diner (928 W. Second in Wichita, NW corner of Second and Walnut, one block east of Seneca on Second) for lunch. Let's meet at 11:00, when they open, and avoid the lunch rush.

This is my favorite local burger joint; I like the food and the people who run the place. If you're not a burger guy, they have a good Ruben, some chicken offerings, and chili for the cold weather. Six of us met here a couple of weeks ago, and it was good enough that Bob Lee will be showing up for a second helping.

It's not too far from my house, so I may try to roll the KLR out for the three mile roundtrip. It could be the first time KLRs outnumbered Goldwings...
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
Klem

Re: Another "Non-Ride" January 26

Post by Klem »

Once while in that Area we stopped at a place call the Gas Pump Cafe or something weird like that. An old fashioned gas station from probably the 30s that was made out of brick. Had a little restaurant in it that had fantastic lunch. Anyone know if it is still open?

Don
Motorcycles are like Potato chips One is never enough
roginoz

Post by roginoz »

Klem wrote:Once while in that Area we stopped at a place call the Gas Pump Cafe or something weird like that. An old fashioned gas station from probably the 30s that was made out of brick. Had a little restaurant in it that had fantastic lunch. Anyone know if it is still open?Don
Don: Are you thinking of the Pump House, just east of the railroad overpass on Second? (http://www.oldtownwichita.com/pump-house) It's still there, although they finally quit selling gas a while back.
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
Klem

Post by Klem »

That would be the place. We stopped there for gas and ended up with lunch topped with the best peach cobbler I have ever eaten. It was still warm from the oven, sprinkled with a touch of nutmeg and fresh cream on it. Harry was having a bad day and it even made him smile.
roginoz

Post by roginoz »

I think we had ten show at Ty's Diner. I'm sure Ron was pleased to see that there were as many KLRs as Goldwings for a change. (OK, one of each, but still...) Big John took some photos, which will probably show up here a little later on.
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
Woody469

Post by Woody469 »

How was lunch? I wish I was retired.... Them new owners just keep burning my damn burger, they need to stop it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roginoz

Re: Another

Post by roginoz »

Woody469 wrote:How was lunch? I wish I was retired.... Them new owners just keep burning my damn burger, they need to stop it!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Woody: They're of the "smash it thin and crisp the edges" school of burgers. Try the patty melt (I think Bob's sold on it.) If you want a burger from the "thick and soft" school of thought, try the Oasis Lounge, west of West St. on Maple.

Retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be. No vacation, no paid holidays. Every day is like every other, except Wednesday when you eat with the ROMEOs and Sunday when you have to dress a little better for church... My old boss once told me to retire as early as I could. I miss (some of) the people, but don't really miss the job all that much.
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
Klem

Post by Klem »

Don't retire Woody. It has been 9 1/2 years for me and it is horrible. Every morning when I get up I have to decide what I want to do. I haven't had a day off or vacation since I retired. I'm getting so forgetful that sometimes it takes me 80 miles to get the bike the 150 ft from the house to the barn in the evening. The real killer is I've been so busy that I haven't gotten the first project done that I was going to do when I left work. At least I don't think I have, can't really remember. I was going to get up early last week and discovered I didn't know how to set the alarm clock. Yep it is hard to carry on without schedule and routine, but us old farts suffer through it.
BeemerBill

Post by BeemerBill »

Klem wrote:Don't retire Woody. It has been 9 1/2 years for me and it is horrible. Every morning when I get up I have to decide what I want to do. I haven't had a day off or vacation since I retired. I'm getting so forgetful that sometimes it takes me 80 miles to get the bike the 150 ft from the house to the barn in the evening. The real killer is I've been so busy that I haven't gotten the first project done that I was going to do when I left work. At least I don't think I have, can't really remember. I was going to get up early last week and discovered I didn't know how to set the alarm clock. Yep it is hard to carry on without schedule and routine, but us old farts suffer through it.
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

HA-HA-HA-HA !!!!! Yep, +1 on what Don said... It's tough out here...... Hang in there Woody. ;)
BeemerBill
Two-Lane Blacktop isn't a Highway---It's an Attitude
Woody469

Post by Woody469 »

Man, you guys are really making me look forward to work tomorrow, that's just wrong! Lol

Roginoz, I've been eating at Ty's since 1981!!! I have eaten there through every owner so far and I think these guys are making some nice changes but scorching my burger is the only new touch I could do without! Ty's has been my favorite joint in the whole wide world and I hope it stays that way but not like that!

I ran into Bob Lee yesterday in Dexter, always great to see Bob, one day I hope to get a chance to actually ride with him! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Kuhn

Pictures

Post by John Kuhn »

OK! OK! OK! Y'ALL want pix? Here they are.
I'm glad they are appreciated.
I missed pix of Rick L., Bob Gwin (I spelled his name right this time) One N only. Also Cary McAllaster
Milt's Bike. Nice
Milt's Bike. Nice
The Boys and Rogers bike
The Boys and Rogers bike
Milt
Milt