Greetings South Texas Riders!

JerryM100

Greetings South Texas Riders!

Post by JerryM100 »

Greetings to all motorcycle riders in south Texas! Welcome to the Romeo Riders web site and discussion forums. I am Jerry and I created this web site and forums for anyone who wants to find out where to ride to eat and meet up with other riders.

The first rule is that there are very few rules. There is no organization, no president or anything, no meetings, no dues, this is just a place to come to find out where the next ride is in your area. Generally, someone needs to decide where to go so I guess there kinda has to be a central ride coordinator, but that person can take suggestions from everybody else. The ride coordinator will usually decide on someplace to go the next week and, depending on how many people are expected to show up, usually call the cafe or restaurant ahead of time to let them know you all are coming. Sometimes that isn't a problem, but some of the places we go really need a heads up, since many times we will go to very small towns and very small cafes (and show up with 30 or 50 bikes!).

Then the coordinator will post the ride notice 3 or 4 days in advance so everyone gets enough notice. Some of our groups also send email notices out, some groups just rely on everybody checking the web site ride posts.

After the ride the coordinator can post a brief ride report and maybe post some photos of the bikes and people at lunch. While it is kinda nice for some people to get their picture on the web site most don't care, but the purpose really is to show other people who might be interested in coming on a ride what to expect. It helps show others who we are (not some kind of gang or a bunch or Ninja rocket riders or something).

That's about it. I hope this is useful for people there in south Texas to find each other and enjoy some riding. I understand that a lot of riders down there are winterbirds and will return in the summertime back to their summer homes. This forum could serve as a good way to keep in touch over the summer when you are not together riding in Texas.

Let me know if you have any questions at all about the Romeo riding or the web site forums. I can reset passwords, activate accounts, help posting pictures, and many other things.

I hope to get down there and meet some of you sometime!

Jerry
Web Site Admin
2004 BMW K1200GT, 2005 Suz Vstrom 650
Jerry M
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
ImageImageImage
Klem

Re: Greetings South Texas Riders!

Post by Klem »

Hi Folks

The key to the success of the Romeos is the simplicity. By not having a real structure it gives you the ability to adjust to what you want to do. We have four groups in this area (eastern Kansas) with a fifth one part time and there are differences in the way all are run. Each of the groups here started with just a few riders. The eastern group that I arrange rides for has the largest normal turnouts. During the summer months we average 40-50 riders each week, with 67 the high for just one group and 95 riders with two groups meeting.

The thing we do here is go to small town restaurants. Reasons for this are that it gets us out of the cities and traffic. It gets us on the roads we like to ride. The mom and pop places bend over backwards to get our business. It makes us feel a little better to help the small town businesses. The meet and greet format adds a tremendous amount of flexibility. You may still meet and ride to the destination with who you want, or you can ride as individuals to destination, so your own pace or agenda is respected.

You already have a group larger than any of the ones here started with. This will just add flexibility and the ability to grow, without the pains of a larger group. The person that arranges the rides should notify the restaurant they are coming. Starting out with 10-15 riders it really isn't a big deal. But in the case of the 67 that was at one ride, that restaurant seated 27 people and we did not have problems of any kind. By riding as individuals or small groups you spread out the impact on the restaurant. The visit time comes before and after the meal in the parking lots. Of course there is a lot in the restaurant also.

It is not necessary to change where you go each week, but it makes the riding and eating both more fun. By having this format it allows you to change each week with out problems notifying the other riders. It takes away some of the clique feeling of small ride groups and opens it up to a variety of riders, types, machines etc. which in turn will expand everyone's horizons.

Good luck and don't feel shy about asking either Jerry or myself about our ideas on stuff. I think part of the success of the website is Jerry and I have a much different approach to everything. Over the couple of years of the website we have bounced a lot of ideas off each other. With his technical ability and my user friendly demands we have made few changes and kept things where most users are comfortable.

Don
Motorcycles are like Potato chips One is never enough
Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed »

Thanks for getting us up and running. I will start promoting the site and we will see how it goes. I think there will be a lot of interest once we spread the word.
Life is not about the number of breaths you take. Its about the moments that take your breath away!

hoser

Post by hoser »

Kansas romeo here, I'm thinking about heading to Corpus sometime this winter when It gets unbearable here, perhaps I will make one of your lunches. I am familiar with your area, I was stationed there for 3 years at NAS CC during the sixties. Hoser
Here's some of our lunch rides
http://s617.photobucket.com/albums/tt25 ... =slideshow
Last edited by hoser on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't want a pickle, just wanna ride my motor sickle
roginoz

Post by roginoz »

Our Kansas weather is bummin' me out, too. I'm thinking about a week on South Padre in January. Throw the KLR in the back of the pickup and enjoy the extra thirty or so degrees of warmth.
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed »

roginoz wrote:Our Kansas weather is bummin' me out, too. I'm thinking about a week on South Padre in January. Throw the KLR in the back of the pickup and enjoy the extra thirty or so degrees of warmth.
Roginoz, Be sure and let me know when you are in the area. I plan a romeo ride to Baffin Bay sometime in January and that is up toward CC. We would love to see you and will try to hold on to plenty of sunshine for you while you are here.
Bill Kreitz
(816)392-6720
bill@fishingriverrods.com
Last edited by Tumbleweed on Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not about the number of breaths you take. Its about the moments that take your breath away!

Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed »

hoser wrote:Kansas romeo here, I'm thinking about heading to Corpus sometime this winter when It gets unbearable here, perhaps I will make one of your lunches. I am familiar with your area, I was stationed there for 3 years at NAS CC during the sixties. Hoser
Here's some of our lunch rides
http://s617.photobucket.com/albums/tt25 ... =slideshow
Hoser, Give me a call when you are in the area and if we don't have a gig booked, perhaps we can meet up for a ride. Stay tuned to the South Texas rides for our lunches.[color=#0040BF}
Bill Kreitz (a.k.a. Tumbleweed)
38469 East Hwy.83 Lot. 317
Donna, TX 78537
(816) 392-6720
Bill@fishingriverrods.com[/size][/color]