Wednesday Central ROMEO Ride for 01-21-09

Moderator: Roadpounder

Richard

Wednesday Central ROMEO Ride for 01-21-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - It's on! We finally have a good Wednesday predicted. This should be a pretty comfortable day according to the reports I've heard. Tuesday is supposed to be near 60 degrees and with Wednesday following with mid 50's we should still have a bit of residual warmth unless the wind just blows it off. There's quite a number of nice twisties around this area so scout 'em
out either coming or going .

Here's the place..............................Country Cafe
512 Maple Street
Gypsum, Kansas 67448
785-536-4141
Lexa Brown, Owner

As always.......................ride careful, ride safe and I'll see you in Gypsum. Richard
Richard

Re: Wednesday Central ROMEO Ride Report for 01-21-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - It always amazes me when the meteorologists from the local channels forecast the 'heat' of the day.

Heat?....what heat? This is the middle of winter for crying out loud. Heat means short sleeve shirts or no shirts. It means air jackets and covering your black vinyl seat with something to prevent it blistering your behind. It means not filling your tank with cold fuel and then leaving your bike in the sun for it to overflow as it heats up and expands. It does not mean it's gonna be toasty warm when you get up early to make a ROMEO lunch ride in January regardless as to how pleasant they make it sound.

Nevertheless, thirty-three happy souls arrived in Gypsum to take advantage of what was a remarkably pleasant day for this first lunch ride of this new year. Some there were sporting new accessories on their bikes and some new attire but all were clearly glad to be there to meet old friends and meet new ones. A chance to catch up on all the 'what have you been doing' or 'where are you planning to go when things really warm up'?

I even learned a thing or two.

For instance, my friend Leonard said he could even tell me an easy way to add extra horsepower to my bike. Now, I know he takes the monthly circular called 'Motorcycle Consumer News', so I figured it had an update article in it that expounded upon the fix.

Maybe it did but not as I had imagined....no, Leonard said it is postulated that for every 7 pounds you lose after winter (or anytime else I suppose) it is the equivalent to adding one (1) extra horsepower. Now, that was a pleasant thought right then as I was stuffing the next ketchup cover fry into my mouth.

Just that very morning, I had stepped on the scale and it quickly raced waaaaay past my benchmark 200# limit. Whoa! Winter insulation I tell myself to make me feel better about the creeping tightness at the waistline. An extra horsepower, huh, for every seven pounds you say, huh?

Maybe I could just wait 'till it got warm and merely sweat it off?