North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 8/10/16

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 8/10/16

Post by Roadpounder »

Well next Wednesday will be another warm one, but we may have a little relief from some clouds. We're going to Haven. Last time there we went to Willi Burger. This time we're going next door to Papa's Pizza & Grill, right down the street. This is a new place that we haven't tried yet. I'm always up for pizza. They're setting up a buffet for us or you can order off the menu.

If you couldn't get their facebook page I corrected it and the link works now.

Our top level security meeting has adjourned and once again, we have solved all the world's problems. Seeing that neither of the current presidential candidates are adequate We started a new party. The "What, Me Worry?" party. Our nominees are for, President Alfred E. Neuman and for Vice president, Mr. Potato Head. Their campaign slogan is "Don't vote for me. I can only make it worse!" I hear Mr. Neuman has chosen some of his cabinet. Secretary of State Mr. Fonebone, Secretary of Intelligence Spy vs Spy, Secretary of the Navy Popeye the Sailor, and Secretary of Homeland Security, Bluto.

Now for the important news. The Salina group will be meeting at 9:30 at the sleep Inn for the ride to Papa's Pizza & Grill, in Haven.

TIME....................11:00

Here it is.............. Papa's Pizza & Grill
113 S Kansas Ave.
Haven, Kansas 67543
620-465-2304

Facebook page........https://www.facebook.com/search/1253188 ... rface=tyah

Web Page.............

Map site.............http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc

WOW! What a day! By 9:00 Leo was just a brown blur dashing around the house. He had a better sense of the time than I did. I knew we were planning to leave at 9:30 but somehow it got stuck in my head that was the time to leave the house. At least I had the forethought to gas the bike up the night before. That bought me a little time. I scrambled to get my boots on and gather everything up. Sign in book, water for Leo, Leash, camera. I got the carrier on the bike and got Leo mounted up. Rolling the bike out, thinking I had forgotten something, I came to the conclusion that I had everything and we pulled out. Pulling into the Sleep Inn I was met by an empty parking lot and it was 9:15. Something didn't seem right. Usually there's someone there! Instantly my mind started racing, thinking “Did I put 9:00 on the web site!?” Things have been known to happen. 9:23 and still no one to be found!? Having visions of having to find my own way there I'm a hairs breadth from one of the 3 emotions that men are capable of. Mild anxiety, full blown panic and primal rage. My emotion meter was climbing past mild anxiety toward full blown panic. Then the pressure relief valved opened when Big Jim rolled in at 9:25. He was shortly followed by four others which took the pressure off. A little tire kicking and a quick refreshing of my lipstick (sunscreen) we were on the road. It was a perfect riding day the temps hadn't gotten real high yet and just a light breeze. I settled in for a pleasant and relaxing ride.

Pulling into Haven we were, as usual, the second wave. Parking looked rather sparse at first when I saw Bruce Shields pull in to a spot with enough room for my bike too. After we shut down and dismounted Bruce notice the familiar blue sign marking a handicapped parking space. I felt pretty safe. After all, do I look normal to you? Bruce thinking better chose to relocate and I followed suit. We found a spot down the street in a lot. The shade was on the east side of the street and there was a light pole to tie Leo to so I set him up there. Then back to the bike to start the book going and get the pics. By then the local law was poking his head out to see what was going on. Looking a little perplexed I reached out in peace and asked it it was OK if I left Leo tied where he was. He agreed and in conversation I was able to convince him that we were in fact not 1%ers and were just out to get a good lunch. Inside I found the the venue pretty well fulled up but still plenty of room. Guys were lined up at the counter giving their orders so I scurried about getting the shots. I eventually entered the tail end of the line. When I finally got to the counter to place my order for the pizza buffet I was told that my order had been taken care of. When I asked who my benefactor was he wasn't able to say owing to the flurry of activity he was engaged in. The best he could tell me was it was one of the guys in a yellow shirt. Well. That narrowed it down. I sat down with my drink and attacked the pizza buffet with abandon. I do like my pizza, and they had some of my favorite combinations. After the sign in book made its rounds Joyce brought it to me and told me there were 28 signatures. Wait! What!? I counted 34 bikes! I started to look around the room for the ghost of Rod Serling. I'll check the pictures in case it picked up something we couldn't see. It seems that a few of the more impatient of us went down the street to Willie Burger. So I think our final head count was around 35. While we were chowing down, two sweet little old ladies apprehensively poked their heads in the door, unsure if they should enter. They summoned up the courage and came in among all the bikers. After three trips , feeling like I swallowed a bowling ball, I'm dangerously close to slipping into a pizza coma. That gave me my pizza fix for a little while. I save a few pizza bones (crusts) for Leo and slipped out to give them to him.

Well it's getting time to head back so Bruce Shields, Diesel Dave, Rich McCall and I opted to take an alternate route home. We headed north intending to find K4 eventually. We headed north and soon ran out of pavement. We pondered which way to go and finally followed my suggestion of going east. That's when we lost Rich. He probably had a better handle on the way back than I did. Bruce was in the lead and eastbound we went. When he found pavement headed north we took it. I was OK with it, knowing that we eventually would hit K4. My ice cream radar was starting to come alive and I was thinking of stopping in Marquette to get my fix. But by the time we hit K4 we were already east of Marquette and headed for Lindsborg, so that idea was out. Bruce had intended to take Burma road north but missed it and when he pulled over to turn around I suggested that we stop at Casey's for a drink. I took the lead and when we pulled into Casey's we found Duane and John already there. I guess great minds think alike. After a quick break and leg stretcher we all got back on the road heading our own separate ways. When all was said and done it was a great ride and a great day.

We had riders from Salina, Minneapolis, Oxford, Hutchenson, Culver, McPherson, Lindsborg, and Canton, with the long distance ging to Jr. Wege and Larry at 232 miles.

We were riding Honda, Harley, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW, Kawasaki, CanAm, And Moto Guzzi.

Voices.jpg
Voices.jpg (44.76 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Attachments
101_1427.JPG
101_1428.JPG
101_1429.JPG
101_1430.JPG
101_1431.JPG
101_1432.JPG
101_1433.JPG
101_1434.JPG
101_1435.JPG
Thanks Lyle
Thanks Lyle
101_1437.JPG
101_1438.JPG
101_1439.JPG
101_1440.JPG
101_1441.JPG
101_1442.JPG
101_1443.JPG
101_1444.JPG
101_1445.JPG
101_1446.JPG
101_1447.JPG
101_1448.JPG
101_1449.JPG
101_1450.JPG
101_1451.JPG
101_1452.JPG
101_1453.JPG
101_1454.JPG
101_1455.JPG
101_1456.JPG
101_1457.JPG
101_1458.JPG
101_1459.JPG
101_1460.JPG
101_1461.JPG
101_1462.JPG
101_1463.JPG
101_1464.JPG
101_1465.JPG
101_1467.JPG
101_1468.JPG
101_1469.JPG
101_1470.JPG
101_1471.JPG
101_1472.JPG
101_1473.JPG
101_1474.JPG
beemermark

Re: North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 8/10/16

Post by beemermark »

Ride safe - Ride with a Smile. Mark
Attachments
Great August riding day to Haven, Kansas. Overcast and cool.
Great August riding day to Haven, Kansas. Overcast and cool.
A well preserved city building on Main Street.
A well preserved city building on Main Street.
Almost vanished from small town America! A new car dealership!
Almost vanished from small town America! A new car dealership!
You won't find a chevy dealer in New York City working on combines!
You won't find a chevy dealer in New York City working on combines!
How many "D" cell batteries does it take to run one of these new fangled things?
How many "D" cell batteries does it take to run one of these new fangled things?
Kansas grain elevator on the rail line.
Kansas grain elevator on the rail line.
DSCN1041.JPG
Yard art.
Yard art.
DSCN1042.JPG
Only in Kansas would you find a bale store!
Only in Kansas would you find a bale store!
Pizza - Pizza
Pizza - Pizza
ROMEO Pat Shea and Chris Miller in Inman, Kansas.
ROMEO Pat Shea and Chris Miller in Inman, Kansas.
Chris bringing a vintage gold wing back to life.
Chris bringing a vintage gold wing back to life.
Chris also takes bikes in on consignment.  He can be reached at 620-712-1165 or millercycleshop@yahoo.com
Chris also takes bikes in on consignment. He can be reached at 620-712-1165 or millercycleshop@yahoo.com