North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 6/1/16

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 6/1/16

Post by Roadpounder »

We're set for Wednesday. We haven't been here for about 2 years. It's in Peabody. about 75 miles from Salina. Pop's Diner is the place and they look forward to seeing us again. The weather looks like the bad stuff will be over by then.

I heard from a highly reliable classified source that on Wednesday morning there will be a large brightly glowing object in the eastern sky. There have been no reports as to what it might be, but rumor has it that warm air and clear skies will accompany it. :shock:

Rise and shine! Were leaving early. We'll join up at the Sleep Inn for a 9:30 departure. Keep an eye out for the large brightly glowing object in the eastern sky.

TIME....................11:00

Here it is.............. Pops Diner
128 N Walnut St
Peabody, KS

(620) 983-2307

Facebook page........https://www.facebook.com/PopsDiner/?fref=ts

Web Page.............

Map site.............http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc

6:00 came early. I just couldn't sleep any longer with a wiener dog standing on my head. Fritz had decided that I had slept long enough and he had some important guard dog duties to perform, ridding us of squirrels, rabbits and the like. I staggered to the deck door and let the dogs out to save the world for human and canine kind, whereupon I collapsed into my recliner, grabbed my computer and checked my Facebook account to see how many heads I caused to explode. I was somewhat disappointed finding that there were only two nocturnal basement dwellers who declared me to be a blithering idiot. I must be losing my touch. But that's another story. Shortly thereafter my phone rang and I instantly had visions of creditors with pitchforks and torches, seeking their pound of flesh. To my great relief it was Richard inquiring about the route of the Salina group. My steel trap mind (albeit very rusty) creaked and groaned in a desperate attempt to recall where we were going, let alone how to get there. I seemed to recall something mentioned about Roxbury, but I wasn't sure. Richard decided to join up with us in Roxbury and I assured him that I would steer the group in that direction. As time relentlessly marched on it came time to prep the bike for Leo. After the second trip to the garage Leo was putting 2 and 2 together and started getting excited. I got him on board and fired up, and as per usual I had the nagging feeling that I forgot something. Let's see. Phone, camera, tooth, all here. THE SIGN IN BOOK! Shut down go back into the house yet again to retrieve the wayward document. At least I caught it before we were half way to Peabody. On the way to the Sleep Inn we needed to stop to feed my noble steed. I pulled into the Dillons on south 9th, my eyes darting wildly searching for the blue haired little old lady to whose awareness of motorcycles is more than a little nebulous. Safely arriving at the pump I reached for my wallet to retrieve the fist full of cards necessary to secure my 2 cent / gallon discount and purchase my fuel. True to form I chose the one pump that was demon possessed. Upon running my cards the pump it gave me an evil laugh and roundly rejected my request. My patients taking a severe hit I made another attempt. Again with the vision of thunder crashing and lightning flashing the pump bellowed a warning to leave while I still can. Throwing caution to the wind and risking the insanity of repeating the same action and expecting a different result, I made one last attempt and the pump finally relented and surrendered its motion producing treasure. I arrived at the Sleep Inn to find Little Jim to be the first on the scene. Shortly Big Jim rolled in and while I was getting some shots Big Jim was unfolding his map to select a route. I asked what he had in mind and he was thinking of taking K4 east and K15 south. I suggested going through Roxbury since that's where Richard would be, so that became the plan. Our tire kicking got away from us and we wound up leaving about 10 minutes late, but we were on the road with the aforementioned brightly glowing object in place in the sky. It didn't take long to slip in to my comfort zone and start enjoying the ride. The only distraction was the growling in my stomach owing to my lack of breakfast. At Roxbury we came to the appointed rendezvous point only to find Richard conspicuous by his absence. Considering that Richard probably knew how to get there we pressed on eastbound encountering some rather unnerving sandy patches allowing my Quota to give me an occasional jab as it to say “pay attention”. Before too long Peabody loomed on the horizon and I followed the leader in. Although the ROMEOs had been there before I had not. I was pleasantly surprised to find a town that screamed Mayberry. Most of the buildings downtown were made of block reminiscent of the 1920s and 30s. The first thing that caught my eye was the corner building with the sign above the door saying POPs Diner. How quaint I thought. It wasn't til a little that I realized that it was the bank and the diner was across the street. I got Leo settled and went about the picture thing. Being a little late I wanted to get inside and I focused on taking the shots and forgot to get a count of the bikes. I got the sign in sheet going on it's rounds and got to my photo mission. The staff was scurrying about taking and filling orders and seemed to have all well under control. After getting the shots, David and Charlot Herrman and Steve Errebo had room at their booth and invited me to join them. They all had the days special of Salisbury steak with mashed photos and mushroom gravy. That really looked like it would hit the spot so I followed suit. While I was waiting for my meal Richard and Joyce stepped in. I had thought they didn't wait for us in Roxbury and went on without us. As it turned out they encountered the unmistakable sigh if spring “ROAD CLOSED”. There are really only two seasons in Kansas. Winter and Construction. After weaving his way through all the detours he eventually made his way to Peabody. Graciously he was willing to make up my shortcoming and count the bikes. He came up with 39. When my meal came I dove in with relish. As expected it did hit the spot. So much so that there were no leftovers for Leo. After settling up and paying my respects to the owner I went outside to insure Leo that he wasn't abandoned. Harold Chase joined me and when he found out that Leo had been aced out, he went back in and scored a piece of raw ground beef for him. Pound for pound that meat amounted to a small meat loaf for him. All bellies full and settled we started to gather our things up and head home. Several of us decided to ride together with Big Jim, in the lead. It turned out to be as near perfect day as one could ask for. Comfortable moderate temps and sunshine with some wispy high cirrus clouds. Even the obnoxious noises emanating from my clunky old Guzzi sounded musical. We rolled into Durham and Jim stopped. I remembered him mentioning something about doing so. We pulled up in front of the Main Street Cafe. Entering the place looked vaguely familiar. I quickly realized why we were there. Jim had his pie radar up and we found this place. Slowly the memory was jogged and I remembered being there before. The main thing that reminded me was their having the holy grail of fruit pie, strawberry rhubarb. Almost every one chose that option and when it came down to Jim and I there was some concern that we may have to step outside to “discuss” who might get the last piece. Much to my relief there was enough for all. They don't call him “Big Jim” for nothing. During our visit I was able to score us a place to ride to for Wed. the 15th. Even more satisfied than before we pressed on for Salina. Pulling through Gypsum we encountered some poor soul who apparently tried to negotiate the curve on the north end of town too fast and rolled their minivan. There were two squad cars there but no EMT so either they had already left or there were no injuries. I hope it was the later. Rolling down K4 Jim signaled his intent to turn on Kip road only to encounter that familiar sign of spring “ROAD CLOSED”. It looks like he had to take the long way home. Knowing that I'd encounter the same on Centennial I followed Jim 9th street to Shilling where Jim turned into Wal Mart where I tooted a friendly good bye and continued home, totally spent after a great days ride.

Our total bike count was 39 including Honda, Harley, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW, Kawasaki, Kymco, Can Am and Moto Guzzi.

We had a total head count of 41 coming from Salina, Minneapolis, Moundridge, Hutchenson, Abilene, Enterprise, Lyons, Shawnee, Junction City, Denmark, McPherson, Lindsborg, and Canton, with our high miler being Steve Errebo from Denmark at 138 miles.

For those motorcycle campers who prefer to rough it.
For those motorcycle campers who prefer to rough it.
RV.jpg (37.5 KiB) Viewed 536 times
Attachments
101_0948.JPG
101_0949.JPG
101_0950.JPG
101_0951.JPG
101_0952.JPG
101_0953.JPG
101_0954.JPG
101_0955.JPG
101_0956.JPG
101_0957.JPG
101_0958.JPG
101_0959.JPG
101_0960.JPG
101_0961.JPG
101_0962.JPG
101_0963.JPG
101_0964.JPG
101_0965.JPG
101_0966.JPG
101_0967.JPG
101_0968.JPG
101_0969.JPG
101_0970.JPG
101_0971.JPG
101_0972.JPG
101_0973.JPG
101_0974.JPG
101_0975.JPG
101_0976.JPG
101_0977.JPG
101_0978.JPG
101_0979.JPG
101_0980.JPG
101_0981.JPG
101_0982.JPG
101_0983.JPG
101_0984.JPG
101_0985.JPG
101_0986.JPG
101_0987.JPG
101_0988.JPG
101_0989.JPG
101_0990.JPG
101_0991.JPG
101_0992.JPG
101_0993.JPG
101_0994.JPG
101_0995.JPG
Last edited by Roadpounder on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Roadpounder

Re: North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 6/1/16

Post by Roadpounder »

chrono adj :?
beemermark

Re: North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 6/1/16

Post by beemermark »

Ride Safe - Ride with a Smile. Mark
Attachments
Peabody - worth a Sunday ride and tour around town.
Peabody - worth a Sunday ride and tour around town.
Typical Kansas grain and rails
Typical Kansas grain and rails
DSCN0856.JPG
Vintage tin still in use!
Vintage tin still in use!
DSCN0858.JPG
DSCN0860.JPG
DSCN0861.JPG
Next to the tracks this glass block building had an odd shape corner at 75 degrees.
Next to the tracks this glass block building had an odd shape corner at 75 degrees.
DSCN0863.JPG
Limestone landing on this vintage house?
Limestone landing on this vintage house?
DSCN0866.JPG
DSCN0867.JPG
DSCN0868.JPG
The limestone is still straight even with the trees nudging it.
The limestone is still straight even with the trees nudging it.
Almost 100 years old and the brick work is still beautiful.  Now a machine shop it still shows signs of the days of model T's and Rumley oil pulls!
Almost 100 years old and the brick work is still beautiful. Now a machine shop it still shows signs of the days of model T's and Rumley oil pulls!
DSCN0875.JPG
My picture doesn't do justice to the amazing steel work roof structure.
My picture doesn't do justice to the amazing steel work roof structure.
DSCN0881.JPG
DSCN0882.JPG
DSCN0884.JPG
DSCN0886.JPG
DSCN0887.JPG
DSCN0888.JPG
DSCN0889.JPG
DSCN0890.JPG
DSCN0891.JPG
DSCN0893.JPG
DSCN0894.JPG
DSCN0896.JPG
DSCN0900.JPG
DSCN0901.JPG
DSCN0902.JPG
DSCN0903.JPG
DSCN0904.JPG
DSCN0905.JPG
DSCN0907.JPG
DSCN0906.JPG
The vintage print shop will open to the public July 4th
The vintage print shop will open to the public July 4th
DSCN0909.JPG
DSCN0913.JPG
DSCN0914.JPG
DSCN0915.JPG
Small town America honoring there vets with pictures.
Small town America honoring there vets with pictures.
DSCN0918.JPG
DSCN0919.JPG
DSCN0920.JPG
A little bit of surviving art deco on Main St.
A little bit of surviving art deco on Main St.
DSCN0923.JPG
DSCN0924.JPG
Don't forget to visit Keith "Doc" Wattson on the east side of the street Monday - Saturday 10 to 6 and Sunday Noon to 6 or call ahead at 316-772-7437 or http://VintageMoonbeams.googlepages.com
Don't forget to visit Keith "Doc" Wattson on the east side of the street Monday - Saturday 10 to 6 and Sunday Noon to 6 or call ahead at 316-772-7437 or http://VintageMoonbeams.googlepages.com