MOONSHINE LUNCH RUN 4/9/16

A place to list other riding events. Anyone is welcome to announce any kind of group ride - whether it is for just a handful of riders or for a major event.
shoresr

MOONSHINE LUNCH RUN 4/9/16

Post by shoresr »

I have been receiving a lot of questions about the MOONSHINE LUNCH RUN, so I thought I would try to answer some of those questions.

Yes, it is in Moonshine, ILL (Casey, ILL) population 2. Sure I ride 400+ miles (one way) for a hamburger :roll: :o :shock:
The answer to all your questions can be found on their website http://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/Event.asp

Melissa and I usually ride up Friday and stay in Effingham, IL. Casey fills up and there are lots of choices in Effingham. For the last couple of years we have gone to the dinner at Richardsons on Friday night, but that is not necessary. We always order (in advance, but they are available if they don't run out) a "Moonshine" shirt and you can pick it up Friday night or at the Days Inn in Casey on Saturday Morning. There is a really big crowd show plan to get to Moonshine before 10. They start serving hamburgers at 7:00 am and if the weather is good there will be between 3000 and 4000 riders from all over the United States. This destination is very popular with long distance riders. I really enjoy looking at their bikes and equipment.

Here is a link to the pictures we took last year. Yes, there is Moonshine, but there is a lot to see between here and there and back.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1129917197 ... sejV1t2PTQ
Moonshine 2015-071.JPG
roginoz

Re: MOONSHINE LUNCH RUN 4/9/16

Post by roginoz »

I've been several times, but it's conflicted with the Austin MotoGP the last couple of years. There's also lodging in Marshal and Greenup. Terry Hammond started this a dozen years ago, and it continues to flourish after his passing. On "normal" days, the Moonshine General Store serves farmers, oldfield workers, and a few others out in the middle of nowhere. Here's a photo of my bike and Mickey's, during our trip to Indy in 2013.
Attachments
Indy2013 110.jpg
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
shoresr

Ride Report Moonshine 2016

Post by shoresr »

[attachment=0]IMG_3212.JPG[/attachment]We left on Friday and started with a great breakfast at the Highway 87 Cafe in Boonville, MO. For supper we rode to Richard's Restaurant in Casey, IL where we attended the Moonshine Welcoming/Annual Banquet. We picked up our Moonshine Shirts, had a great meal and a short program. One of the highlights of the program was the introduction of the 25 riders that had ridden the farthest for the famous "Moonburger". The longest was two guys who rode from San Diego. I think it was 2300 miles. All 25 riders rode more than 1000 miles!!

We spent the night in Effingham, IL and headed to Moonshine the next morning. On the way we stopped at the Covered Bridge. In Casey, IL and saw the World's largest Wind Chime, Rocking Chair and Golf Tee!!

I find one of the interesting things about Moonshine is looking at the bikes of the long distance riders. If you look at my pictures you will see, gps's, extra fuel tanks, and even water tanks....Spots, Go Pro's, sleeping gear, tank bags and lots of other things that enable these guys to ride as far as they do. This was my second year to visit with the couple rode 11,000 miles in 11 days and they have done it twice!! It is crazy enough for guy to do it, but for his wife to go along for the ride is insane.

After our wonderful Moonburger we headed for Lambert's in Sikeston, MO, where we stayed the night. We had a very nice ride and the crab apples and dogwoods were gorgeous. We stopped at the Cave in the Road State park and took a ferry across the Ohio River into Kentucky. We all caught a "throwed" roll at Lambert's and ate way too much.

Sunday we headed home through the Ozarks on Highway 60 crossing the Current and Eleven Points rivers. We ended the ride with another great meal at Smith's in Bolivar. We got all got home around 4:30 pm. We were able to ride more than 1200 miles. There were 10 bikes and 14 people in our group. Of course, if you look at my pictures you will recognize KC Romeo Bob Poste. I was surprised and pleased to have dinner with Dave Herring. Dave rode with both KC and Eastern Kansas. He now lives in Georgia, but still keeps up with the Romeos via the website. At Moonshine we saw many riders we knew from MO and KS. I even saw guys from West Central Polar Bears!!

Moonshine is a very unique rally. You can't help but be amazed by meeting these long distant riders and seeing what they ride. Seriously, I think they live on these bikes and never stop more than 15 minutes at a time.

Here is a link to the pictures I took
https://goo.gl/photos/kCAeNS9Fdnp6eGr2A

Attachments
IMG_3212.JPG
IMG_3212.JPG (181.72 KiB) Viewed 860 times