Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 3-2-16

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 3-2-16

Post by Roadpounder »

Well I just got us set up for the Wed. ride to the Farm House in Abilene. They didn't sound too busy so they should be able to handle us easily. The weather profits are calling for a relatively nice day with a high in the low 60s and partly cloudy. But as I learned in many years of flying "Beware of the weather profits, for the truth is not always in them." :lol:

Mr. K's Farmhouse
407 South Van Buren Street
Abilene, KS 67410
785-263-7995
12:00 Wednesday

Wednesday 3/2/16 The weather prophets were reasonably accurate today and although the temps started out rather cool and cloudy, it didn't take long to warm up and the sun to come out. I arrived at the launch point of the Casey's car wash at 11:00 for an 11:30 departure to find that I was once again there alone. Flashbacks of earlier rides. A quick survey of the area showed me the ugly truth that "You can't get there from here". The city decided that too many people were using Iron street east of Ohio and decided to tear it up. A true sign of spring. Fortunately they only tore up one block so we didn't have a complicated detour to contend with. Patiently waiting for some redeeming sign of another bike it was about 15 minutes and John and Peggy rolled up. I heaved a heavy sigh of relief realizing that I, in fact, didn't mess up on the time again. In the next few minutes Bud on his trike, Big Jim, and Larry rolled in. 11:30 arrived and we departed. Again the butterflies started. Only five of us from Salina? What if we're the only ones to show? The restaurant told me they were going to put on an extra waitress. Big Jim took the lead and I pulled in second just in case he got lost. We got pretty spread out until we got to Solomon where the stragglers caught up and we pressed on to Abilene. Arriving at Mr. K's Farm House we were met by the dawn patrol who arrived early and were already about half way through their meals. I stopped at the entrance to get a shot of the sign and close behind I saw Diesel Dave rolling in. All told we had 14 bikes show up and a contingency that was sufficient to make our visit worth the effort the restaurant put forth. I always feel a little nervous when the subject of the expected turnout comes up. They had a very tempting menu and several specials which made choosing a chore. I finally settled on the hot beef sandwich since I was able to talk them into putting it on toast. After a bunch of full bellies and some tire kicking some of us decided to head for Russel Stover for ice cream etc. I decided to pass on that. I didn't want to break a $100 bill for candy. Cash was a little scarce and I had to raid my stash fund just to have some cash on hand. A little too much month left at the end of the money. I had plastic for the lunch.

We had riders from Salina, Hutchinson, South Hutchinson, Canton, McPherson, Culver, Lindsborg, and Manhattan.

Bikes included Harley Davidson, BMW, Suzuki, Goldwing, Goldwing Trike, and of course the venerable Moto Guzzi.

All in all it was a great ride!

I can't quite place it.  But there's definitely something missing off of Jim's bike!
I can't quite place it. But there's definitely something missing off of Jim's bike!
Attachments
101_0422.JPG
101_0423.JPG
101_0424.JPG
101_0425.JPG
101_0426.JPG
You can't get there from here.
You can't get there from here.
101_0428.JPG
101_0429.JPG
101_0430.JPG
101_0431.JPG
101_0432.JPG
101_0433.JPG
101_0434.JPG
101_0435.JPG
101_0436.JPG
101_0437.JPG
101_0438.JPG
101_0439.JPG
101_0440.JPG
101_0441.JPG
101_0442.JPG
101_0443.JPG
101_0444.JPG
101_0445.JPG
101_0446.JPG
101_0447.JPG
101_0448.JPG
Last edited by Roadpounder on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
beemermark

Re: Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 3-2-16

Post by beemermark »

Ride safe - Ride with a smile. Mark
Attachments
"Mr. K's" was one of President Eisenhower's favorite eating establishments. The food and service were excellent.  The main menu was diverse and the luncheon specials were numerous.
"Mr. K's" was one of President Eisenhower's favorite eating establishments. The food and service were excellent. The main menu was diverse and the luncheon specials were numerous.
DSCN0463.JPG
DSCN0458.JPG
DSCN0460.JPG
DSCN0461.JPG
A lucky wrong turn helped me find this grand old house on west First street.
A lucky wrong turn helped me find this grand old house on west First street.
DSCN0448.JPG
DSCN0449.JPG
The water tower looks extra large compared to Abilene's size.  I suspect the extra capacity was for the steam engine rail service.
The water tower looks extra large compared to Abilene's size. I suspect the extra capacity was for the steam engine rail service.
Despite prairie winds, this piece of art still stands.  Todays ride featured gusts at 35 mph.
Despite prairie winds, this piece of art still stands. Todays ride featured gusts at 35 mph.
A change in the road left this model T era bridge for us to admire.
A change in the road left this model T era bridge for us to admire.
DSCN0486.JPG
The story's this house could tell, the six kids, the 2 mile walk to school, at Roxbury.
The story's this house could tell, the six kids, the 2 mile walk to school, at Roxbury.
DSCN0484.JPG
Pride in workmanship. Can you imagine the hours the carpenter put on this double curved porch?
Pride in workmanship. Can you imagine the hours the carpenter put on this double curved porch?
DSCN0473.JPG
DSCN0455.JPG