Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 9-09-15

Moderator: Roadpounder

Richard

Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 9-09-15

Post by Richard »

Guys - Here's one we've been to before but it's been a very long time ago. In fact, on one ocassion years ago on a cold and snowy wednesday, I was the only one that showed up. I recall I was wearing a snowmobile suit and was so cold when I got there that one of the locals in the cafe at the time had to help me out of it. As I sat there with my meal, the weather proceeded to get worse and worse until I realized it just wasn't going to get any better and reluctantly headed back home. It was after this ride I instituted the 50 degree wintertime rule primarily for my own protection.
We've been back since but I always default back to this time in memory!
This place has asked us for a return visit and it's always a pleasure to accommodate them when they do that. In addition, it's the Wednesday just before some of us take off for Arkansas so I don't have to send the 'Bird Dog' out sniffing around for some place to go. It's a win win for me!

Here's the time.........................................11:00 am

Here's the place......................................Gridiron Cafe
211 N. Main St.
Hope, Kansas 67451
785-366-7700

As always........................ride careful, ride safe and I hope to see you in Hope! Richard
http://mapq.st/1FGty7L

Hey, a thought just came to me. Since it's supposed to be exceptionally nice wednesday, why don't we take off after lunch and head east until the road takes a turn up to Woodbine. Joyce and I took this route on Labor Day and it's quite scenic. Then after we pass Woodbine we can take the little Lyons Creek twisty road and head up to Jct. City to see the Harley shop. It's been some time since I've stopped in there and if memory serves, they always have free coffee in the pot. A quick trip on the interstate can then bring us back home wherever that may be.
Don't expect me to turn off at Russell-Stovers though, I've lost quite a few pounds and the temptation there would be just to great!
Temps are forecast to be in the mid 80's. Perfect weather to be a ROMEO.

=====================================================================================================
Guys - What a turnout! Abner and I left a bit late due to my absent mindedness in not gassing up early this morning the same time I went to the station to air up my tires to spec. I went back home to get Joyce and saw Abner pass by as I approached the corner. He happened to notice my headlight, stopped and turned around as I headed down the street to Kaps to get gas. Kaps is a Cenex station and I get double Cabela points! Abner said I was 6.5 minutes late. Oops! We headed North and parked at the turnoff to Gypsum to wait on the Salina guys. They were meeting up at the Days Inn and I calculated they would be coming by shortly. Shortly, it was and we pulled in behind the tailing rider...Marty. I mentioned to Joyce I didn't see Leo and was dissapointed but as he made the turn into Gypsum, I spotted the carrier in front of his back box. All is well!
The road from Gypsum to hwy 15 has some pretty nice curves and one always hopes no farm truck is poking around in front
of you when you hit 'em and today was a delight. Just enough speed to make the curves interesting. When we finally rounded the final curve that headed up North into Hope, what looked like a funeral was in process but everyone must have been inside since the main street was clear and bikes were lined up nearly a full block long when we got there.
Turnout these past several weeks has been terrific and today was no different. Thirty-nine signed the book and when I entered the cafe, several were already eating. The place was packed with ROMEO's and the service was quite good. So was my burger and onion rings by the way and Joyce and I split a peach cobbler. Well, maybe not an equal split. She shoved the nearly empty bowl over to me and said you can finish this off. Gee Thanks! She has me on a diet anyway!
After lunch, several of us took the Lyons Creek road over to Jct. City to scope out the inventory and had a time pushing and prodding all the stuff on the floor and Joyce spotted a used Indian but the color of the seat wasn't the distressed kind she is so fond of....whew! I got on it and hoisted it up and to tell you the truth....it didn't seem nearly as heavy as it looked. Maybe..........but I sure do like the looks of that Victory Cross Country! I do kind of relate to the ad on TV where the guy says ta da.....but here's what you can afford and there's a pic of a Honda CTX. Actually, I kinda like the CTX!
Actually, I also like the naustalgic '75' Suzuki Apache TS400 I spotted on ebay last night too but I probably won't get that either but it would go a long way in my trip back down memory lane!
Well, I'll just fade away for now and let my friend Marty post some of his famous photos and hear his thoughts for the day!
Hey I can't go without saying how good it was to see Reggie back with us today. I think this is the first lunch ride Reggie's been to since his stroke, and I very much appreciate his wife bringing him over today. I hope you guys took the time to say hello and wish him further recovery.
On another note I forgot to announce at lunch that tomorrow is a meet up with Leonard Williams. Leonard is back for a day or so in Salina and we plan to meet up with him tomorrow (thursday) noon at the new Burger Place in the Holiday Inn near Lowe's. Leonard is a special friend and a long time ROMEO and would like to see you so come join us for lunch at noon tomorrow and we can try out this new little place at the same time. Many of you recall his obsession with Royal Enfields and went by the handle
Enfielder even after he moved on to a Triumph. Come hear the story of how this conversion happened! If you know Leonard, he'll have a story to tell!
Roadpounder

Re: Wednesday North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 9-09-15

Post by Roadpounder »

Monday was a rough one for me. I spent most of the day doing hand to hand combat with my bike getting it ready for my trip. I eventually won the battle, but the bike did get a few good licks in, and at the end of the day I knew I was in a fight. But by the end of the day I felt like I had spent the day at the airport stopping propellers with my body. New brakes front and rear and a broken kick stand mechanism requiring the standard Guzzi tool kit. A 4# hammer, a file, a bench grinder, and a welder. A broken weld bent and worn parts and some rough parts needed some TLC. After cleaning the part up with a rotary file I broke out one of my favorite toys. The flux core wire welder. When I saw it at the adult toy store (Harbor Freight) I couldn't pass it up. Harbor Freight is a bad place to go with a pocket full of empty credit cards. I mounted the part in the vise and plugged in the welder. Soon the sparks were flying with reckless abandon. There are few things more fun than high voltage and molten steel. Try as I might I did not succeed in burning the garage down. After filing down the excess weld and fitting the parts with the help of a bench grinder (precision all the way) it was time to straighten the bent parts. A little “gentle persuasion” with the 4# inertial alignment tool (hammer) I convinced the parts to cooperate. Upon reassembly the kick stand performed as intended and all was right with the world. Now all I need is the new grips and my noble steed will be ready for the trip.

Wednesday started with Leo nagging me to get out of bed for some lap time. He eventually won that fight, and I got up and started to shake the cobwebs out. After wakening enough to stand without the assistance of a nearby wall, I put my boots on and of course Leo knew what that meant. I had a few errands to run, so I left Leo with a confused and disappointed look on his face. After getting back I gathered Leo up and headed for the Sleep Inn. As I approached 9th street and Water Well Road I saw Dave coming the other way and followed him to our meeting place. We were soon joined by four others and after a short visit we hit the road. I was tail end Charlie again as we rolled down HY 81, but when we got to K4 we picked up three more in tow. It was Richard and co. from Lindsborg.

It was shaping up to be another one of those days for which motorcycles were invented. Leo found a herd of cattle who were chewing in a very threatening manor and warned them to keep their distance. When we finally reached Hope I pulled over to get a shot of the towns sign and waved the others by. I guess curiosity got the best of Richard as he turned around to check on us. Assured all was well when I pulled out he followed us into town. With about half of the turnout already there I found myself parking about a half block away.

I got Leo settled and set about taking pictures. Having tied him to a picnic table it didn't take long to realize that it could only turn out badly. I worked my way down the line of bikes to where Leo was and quickly saw that he was hopelessly tangled in the table legs, reducing his 16 foot leash to about 2 feet. Against my better judgment I unleashed him to untangle the leash. Instantly I saw a brown streak bolting off to explore parts unknown. I managed to keep him in sight most of the time and repeatedly called him trying in vain to find a tone he would respond to. I eventually coaxed him back. He does love to explore, and he has that typical Dachshund stubborn streak. I got him corralled and back under control and went inside to eat.

The place was about 90% full and much to my surprise and delight Reggie was able to join us. He was looking good and seems to improve every time I see him. I had the BBQ bacon cheese burger with a side of battered mushrooms. It was surprisingly good for my usual fare, and there was still enough to include Leo.

After lunch many of us went outside to kick tires and solidify our plans for world domination or whatever else we have planned. Some of the group headed out of town to the east, but being pretty well out of steam Leo and I headed back to Salina. On the way back I fell into the zone and really enjoyed the ride back.

Thursday we had the honor of a visit with Leonard Williams. We caught up with him at the Holiday Inn on S 9th and a good group turned out. It was great to see him again. The rides just haven't been the same without him.

My apologies for taking so long to get this posted. There's a lot going on getting ready for the trip. See you in 2 weeks.

Marty
Attachments
100_0406.JPG
100_0403.JPG
100_0404.JPG
100_0405.JPG
100_0407.JPG
100_0408.JPG
100_0409.JPG
100_0410.JPG
100_0411.JPG
100_0412.JPG
100_0413.JPG
100_0414.JPG
100_0415.JPG
100_0416.JPG
100_0417.JPG
100_0418.JPG
100_0419.JPG
100_0420.JPG
100_0421.JPG
100_0422.JPG
100_0423.JPG
100_0424.JPG
100_0425.JPG
100_0426.JPG
100_0427.JPG
100_0428.JPG
100_0429.JPG
100_0430.JPG
100_0431.JPG
100_0432.JPG
100_0433.JPG
100_0434.JPG
100_0435.JPG
100_0436.JPG
100_0437.JPG
100_0438.JPG
100_0439.JPG
100_0440.JPG
100_0441.JPG
100_0442.JPG
100_0443.JPG
100_0444.JPG
100_0445.JPG
100_0446.JPG
100_0447.JPG
100_0448.JPG
100_0450.JPG
100_0451.JPG
100_0452.JPG
100_0453.JPG
Last edited by Roadpounder on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roadpounder

Post by Roadpounder »

Here's more.
Attachments
100_0455.JPG
100_0471.JPG
100_0472.JPG
100_0470.JPG
100_0479.JPG
100_0480.JPG
100_0481.JPG
100_0482.JPG
100_0483.JPG
100_0484.JPG
wil6831

Post by wil6831 »

Thanks for the kind words Richard and Marty, it was great to see everyone on Thursday. Sure miss riding with you guys. Georgia has lots of great riding but nothing compares to lunch with the ROMEOs. Sue says thanks too.
Leonard, Hull, GA
2004 Royal Enfield Bullet (gone)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (sold)
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
Klem

Post by Klem »

You all should chip in and buy Richard a new watch. He seems to spend a lot of time Chrono adjusting
Motorcycles are like Potato chips One is never enough