Lunch 11 AM, Sept. 3, Lamont Hill, Vassar, Ks.

Moderator: Al Hayes

schoolmaster

Lunch 11 AM, Sept. 3, Lamont Hill, Vassar, Ks.

Post by schoolmaster »

We are going a bit south this week, to beautiful Lake Pomona, to dine at the Lamont Hill Golf Clubhouse. It has been quite some time since we've been here as I believe Don set up a ride here in August, 2009 with possibly a return trip in 2010. Roger and I were riding back from Leroy a couple of weeks ago and stopped and checked this place out, and I believe you will really enjoy this one. I can personally guarantee that they have the best ice cream around if you have room after lunch.

They have a great salad bar and buffet with a lunch special (one Nancy mentioned was chicken and noodles) for $4.75, and that opens at 11:30. Or you can order off of the regular lunch menu starting at 11:00 AM. They also serve breakfast up until 11 if that appeals to you. I know it will be hard to break the habit of stopping at Green Acres, our normal dining spot in Vassar, but perhaps you could hit that spot for dessert after having lunch at Lamont Hills.

This restaurant is not visible from Hwy 268, but to get there it is just a little ways west of Green Acres, turn north onto Hwy 368 proceed north for a mile or two like you're headed to the state park. It is located on the west side of Hwy 368. If you go too far north, you'll end up riding around in the state park and eventually into the water of Lake Pomona, so if you notice the water starting to get your feet wet, then turn around. It looks like the weather should be pleasant with a high in the mid 80's, so let's plan on meeting for lunch around 11:00 at:

Lamont Hill Golf Club
22975 S. Hwy 368
Vassar, Kansas
785-828-3131
Keith & Nancy Persinger

Click here for a map to all scheduled Romeo rides:
http://tinyurl.com/Romeo-Rides-Scheduled
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster
schoolmaster

Re: Lunch 11 AM, Sept. 3, Lamont Hill, Vassar, Ks.

Post by schoolmaster »

This morning about 5:15 AM when lightning struck what at first I thought was "at the foot of my bed" and I jumped up to look outside at the pouring rain, my first thought was, "It's a great day to be a ROMEO!" Then as I watched what turned out to be about 3" of rain falling steadily, all I could think of was that overloaded salad and food bar at Lamont Hill Golf and Country Club as they were preparing for 35 to 45 ROMEO's. So about 7:45 I made the call and told them that if we hit 10, that would be a big number. [attachment=14]DSCN4004.JPG[/attachment][attachment=13]DSCN4005.JPG[/attachment][attachment=12]DSCN4003.JPG[/attachment][attachment=11]DSCN4006.JPG[/attachment][attachment=10]DSCN4007.JPG[/attachment][attachment=9]DSCN4008.JPG[/attachment][attachment=8]DSCN4009.JPG[/attachment][attachment=7]DSCN4010.JPG[/attachment][attachment=6]DSCN4011.JPG[/attachment][attachment=5]DSCN4012.JPG[/attachment][attachment=4]DSCN4013.JPG[/attachment][attachment=3]DSCN4014.JPG[/attachment][attachment=2]DSCN4015.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]DSCN4016.JPG[/attachment][attachment=0]DSCN4017.JPG[/attachment]
After what started out to be an ominous weather day for riding, we recovered nicely and had a good group make it out for lunch. You know what, it really was a great day to be a ROMEO.
Attachments
When I pulled in about 10:15 I thought at least they still say we are welcome!
When I pulled in about 10:15 I thought at least they still say we are welcome!
But at 10:20 I looked out across the parking lot and thought, "I'm not sure we'll hit 10!"
But at 10:20 I looked out across the parking lot and thought, "I'm not sure we'll hit 10!"
And as I walked in at 10:20, Larry #2 and I were having no trouble parking close to the door.
And as I walked in at 10:20, Larry #2 and I were having no trouble parking close to the door.
When I walked in this is what I first saw: 2 cagers and a manly biker! Then shortly after that back table filled, although I suspect Bill and Linda arrived on 4 wheels.
When I walked in this is what I first saw: 2 cagers and a manly biker! Then shortly after that back table filled, although I suspect Bill and Linda arrived on 4 wheels.
But about 10 minutes later they started rolling in, and we ended up with 21 ROMEO'S, and it was the perfect number for everyone to have ample time to visit.
But about 10 minutes later they started rolling in, and we ended up with 21 ROMEO'S, and it was the perfect number for everyone to have ample time to visit.
If the weather had really gotten bad, this is the motel office, where you can spend the night enjoying the many delights that Lake Pomona has to offer all day long, even in the afternoon!!
If the weather had really gotten bad, this is the motel office, where you can spend the night enjoying the many delights that Lake Pomona has to offer all day long, even in the afternoon!!
DSCN4009.JPG
Just a couple of Johns!
Just a couple of Johns!
What a scenic view.  Looks like these two are on vacation. Walt rode in from Manhattan, although I am not sure exactly how he got here, since he came riding in from the NORTH.  On the map, NORTH roads come directly from the water.  I guess that BMW can function as a WaveRunner too.  His first comment was "How the heck do you get here?"  I guess it will remain Walt's little secret because it didn't look like he shared it with Bill.
What a scenic view. Looks like these two are on vacation. Walt rode in from Manhattan, although I am not sure exactly how he got here, since he came riding in from the NORTH. On the map, NORTH roads come directly from the water. I guess that BMW can function as a WaveRunner too. His first comment was "How the heck do you get here?" I guess it will remain Walt's little secret because it didn't look like he shared it with Bill.
We even had some brave Olathe ROMEO'S show up, although I suspect one of the cages belonged to them; but props to them, they showed up to join us!
We even had some brave Olathe ROMEO'S show up, although I suspect one of the cages belonged to them; but props to them, they showed up to join us!
If there's a better deal out there for $4.75, all you can eat, somebody let me know!!
If there's a better deal out there for $4.75, all you can eat, somebody let me know!!
There was only one rule-you could only have 3 meatballs.  Larry #2 served as the meatball police since he sat right by the door.
There was only one rule-you could only have 3 meatballs. Larry #2 served as the meatball police since he sat right by the door.
There was a lot of casual conversation in the parking lot after lunch.
There was a lot of casual conversation in the parking lot after lunch.
After a slow start, we ended up with a pretty nice motorcycle presence in the parking lot.
After a slow start, we ended up with a pretty nice motorcycle presence in the parking lot.
James obviously made the trek to a SEK ROMEO ride.  He's moving back to North Carolina in October and he will probably start a ROMEO group there.  I think this will be the first shirt, just to stir up interest in the group.
James obviously made the trek to a SEK ROMEO ride. He's moving back to North Carolina in October and he will probably start a ROMEO group there. I think this will be the first shirt, just to stir up interest in the group.
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster