Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 04-22-09

Moderator: Roadpounder

Richard

Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 04-22-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - This is another one we've never been to. It's centrally located for all the guys in the Central group although admittedly it may be a haul for some of the Eastern guys who we have been enjoying seeing recently on their visits over on nice days. Next Wednesday should be a wonderful mid 70's day if the weather guru is to be believed and with temps this nice it should be a great early morning ride for those leaving early to cover a bit more ground. Several of the States nicest roads could be discovered is my guess.
We have mentioned many times the quality of the malts available at a famous place located within the confines of the downtown area of this little town and this may be just the time for everyone to stick around after lunch just to sample them. If you don't want ice cream, there's always the local cycle shop to visit....I bet I just gave it away didn't I?
There's a story associated with the choice of this place, not that it's earth shattering or anything of that nature, but essentially I'm fulfilling a promise to someone by going here this week. My son works for a bank and one of the ladies there noticed my shirt one time and as we talked she indicated her daughter and son-in-law owned this place having recently bought it and requested that the ROMEO's help them out as we do others and of course I promised we would. Thus, the decision to list this destination today. I don't think you will be disappointed. Parking is sufficient, food is excellent, ice cream is nearby so what's not to like!
I just about forgot to mention, they said to indicate that good old "genuine 1919 Root Beet is on Tap". No caffeine in that is my guess.

Here's the place...............................Aggies All-American Grill
4 Leonard Court
(just off of I-135)
Hesston, Kansas 67062
620-327-2447
Donnie & Andrea Ledford

As always....................ride careful, ride safe and I'll see you in Hesston. Richard
IronButtx

Re: Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 04-22-09

Post by IronButtx »

What time do we meet - 11:30 AM?
wil6831

Re: Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 04-22-09

Post by wil6831 »

Sorry no one answered your question before the lunch. Hopefully you came and found out what a casual deal it is. Folks show up at any time, visit, eat, socialize, etc and leave when they want, go someplace else for ice cream, go for a ride, go home, what ever you want to do. Maybe Richard will expand on this, hope it answered your question...........Leonard
IronButtx wrote:What time do we meet - 11:30 AM?
Leonard, Hull, GA
2004 Royal Enfield Bullet (gone)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (sold)
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
Richard

Re: Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride Report for 04-22-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - Sorry for the delay in writing this report, and sorry for not finding your question, Ironbuttx, about what time this big event takes place each and every Wednesday. And thanks Leonard, for picking up the slack and responding.
I usually indicate when asked that officially these things begin at noon but if you did arrive on official time you would most likely be an hour late. Seems that folks like arriving early to visit and check out bikes rather than stay over after lunch to do this. And, as we get a bit more into the warmer part of the year, it makes for a bit more pleasant riding on the way in. I heard it mentioned to me this way and never have forgotten the description. We always appreciate it when you don't stink to high heaven when you sit by me. The trip in, under cooler skies, seems to do wonders for hygiene in the summer months.
Just a joke of course directed to yours truly but there is more than a bit of truth hidden here.
Now for the explanation of why I am running behind again. Lightning! Joyce and I left last Friday to go to Hannibal to ride the riverboat and while we were gone, another lightning storm blew out my servers wireless receiver box atop my house for the fourth time in as many years. At 200.00 a pop, this is getting a bit extreme. I apparently own this thing! Anyway, I'm up and running again.
Now, as I get to things at hand and report on the great turnout we had at Aggies, I captured everyone there just in case Don questions our numbers since he posted the high turnout the Eastern group had first. Sometimes I think he feels I'm just spoofing when we beat his high turnout numbers but you guys can attest that the parking lot was full practically to overflowing with the largest single group lunch we've ever had since we began doing this many, many years ago. I counted 71 bikes at one time in the parking lot and there were 5 ladies also present so our all time attendance high is now an all time record of 76. There's no question that some of the little places we've gone to in the past would have run completely out of food had we had this kind of turnout years ago. It also tells me that I should be very careful in my estimates to the really small places in the future but I always err on the side of the cafe. I feel it is always better to be slightly low on the estimate rather than have them prepare for a boatload and have to throw food away. Many can't afford that kind of error on my part.
The cafe was most delighted with us and did their utmost to see that everyone was served promptly and with the correct order. I'm sure there were some flubs but by and large the two floor waitress did and outstanding job of taking care of us. The menu was varied and it seemed our appetites were as well. Everything looked really good. At least mine was and the pie that John Dunlap across from me got, looked good enough to steal.
Summer felt like it had arrived. Not only from the turnout but by the afternoon, some were shedding their jackets to remove winter liners. Always a good sign!
This day continued as do many other lunch rides....with a stop at SKOOPS. Some always feel the day is not complete unless a bit of ice cream passes their lips. I heartily agree and quite a gathering at this favorite spot apparently felt so as well. A required photo OP was addressed. Others that had never visited Dan's Cycle were faced with an unfortunate road paving project in process and may have never been able to navigate the site for their visit. I never heard.
On other interesting items, Ron Hampe indicated he is working on a special ROMEO calendar, it has only weekends and Wednesdays. Yeah, Ron! And....we had a few new faces. First timers. Welcome to the ROMEO's, the best cycle group in Kansas. No dues, no meetings, no by-laws, no attitudes no officers and all kinds of bikes welcome. What's not to like?
It's always a pleasure when some of the guys from the Eastern contingent come to visit and when they do they usually go to the top of the class with long distance honors. Such was the case today. Tom Lebbert on his V-Strom and his buddy, John Martens riding a Honda 919 both from Topeka rode over to visit us reporting 156 miles each. Congratulations guys and great to see you.
I wish I could resolve my problem of putting photos on here because I would really like to show you guys my pick for Bike of the Week. It's Neal Logbacks 'free' bike. A 6 cyl. Kawasaki Voyager. A work in process he calls it! It's sooo cool! It's on my friend Leonard Williams blog site. Check it out here....http://wil6831.multiply.com/journal