Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 4-15-09

Moderator: Roadpounder

Richard

Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 4-15-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - You'll like this one. It's not new and each of you no doubt have been here before but it has become almost a tradition with the ROMEO's to start out our riding year by going to this little town and seeing the nearly famous moving wall mural. And for some strange reason, I really enjoy sitting and visiting on the nearby Gazebo. OK, I know I just gave it away but like most good things, it's just too hard to keep close to the vest. It has to be shared. Such is this place to me and apparently some of you as well because this has been my number one request annually.
We were last there almost a year ago to the day and if I were to look up the records I'm sure it would reflect a marvelous turnout. In fact now that I reflect on it, several of us took a side trip after leaving Longford and went to Abilene to visit Russel Stovers candy factory and had ice cream. As a matter of fact, I think I'll just do that again! When you develop the perfect day why try and change it?

Here's the place...........................Coachlight Restaurant
Main Street
Longford, Kansas
785-388-2437
Amy Wayman, Owner

As always..............ride careful, ride safe and I'll see you in Longford. Richard
Richard

Re: Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride Report for 4-15-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - At the risk of being redundant, let me just say It's really good to see all you guys every Wednesday. I really have a good time doing what I do locating and scheduling these places and to see you guys enjoy them as much as I do is quite fulfilling.
About fifteen of us rode together from the Salina/Lindsborg area and arrived to see a few bikes already there. Dennis indicated that he had gotten there early (about 10:30am) and didn't know if he had the right place or not since the cafe has somehow lost it's sign. Bikes shortly started rolling in and finally the street was full of ROMEO's all gabbing, looking at each others bikes, walking the path to see the moving mural or just relaxing at the gazebo or the easy chairs nearby.
Don and I have been kidding each other lately about who had the biggest turnout and if I were dishonest I could claim victory here since he posted first but I have to admit the Eastern guys had more than we did this week. It's not about numbers to be sure but it's an indication of interest and we had thirty-seven bikes and a pillion passenger to add one to that count. I can recall being overjoyed to have a dozen show years ago. We have sure come along way and there's no end in sight.
Bucky, at final count had high mileage with 138 miles just beating out Dennis Gowing showing 131. Again, this isn't a contest but I'm impressed with this kind of interest that says let's go take a fine ride and meet my friends for lunch even if it takes a good deal of the morning to do so. What a fine bunch of guys you are and I mean that sincerely!
I was outside snapping some photos so Joyce ordered. A wonderful chicken fried steak. Real meat! But, when the waitress brought Richard McCalls 'Smothered Burrito' meal out and laid it down in front of him I almost croaked. I had forgotten how big and desirable they are. Too late, I had been ordered for! I know that's not good English but I felt a little let down. I had my heart set on one of those and I just forgot they are a regular Wednesday item. At least I didn't have to sit next to anyone having 'liver and onions'.
Next it was, yeah....'ice cream'. Russell Stover was so close it would have been a shame not to go on over just to smell the place. The place had samples here and there and as you can guess, after Easter sales were a big item. We all loaded up on bunnies and eggs, had ice cream and took a photo of the foolishness. And. if I can ever figure out how to put photos in here, I'll add 'em.
Truth be told however, by the time I was near home on the ride back, the thought of a 'FROSTY' was near to mind. Richard