New Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 4-08-09

Moderator: Roadpounder

Richard

New Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 4-08-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - OK, the stars lined up and a new place was located and they indicate they are really looking forward to our visit. We've been there before as a pie and ice cream stop after lunch but never for lunch since it's located in a town larger than we generally try to support but ,as the saying goes, beggars can't be choosers. And, at this late stage in the process, I'm lucky to find any replacement for the place originally scheduled. I may have pie there for lunch but if I through in the ice cream, it would take away from another short ride to somewhere so that's my plan as of right now. Things may change if Joyce comes along!

Here's the place......................................Padens Place
120 Douglas
(downtown)
Ellsworth, Kansas 67439
785-472-3643
Linda Siemsen, Owner

As always........................................ride careful, ride safe and I'll see you in Ellsworth. Richard
Richard

Re: New Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride Report for 4-08-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - It's an indication of a nice day when we have a group from the Eastern ROMEO contingent come for a visit. The street was lined up on both sides of the street with a variety of bikes when Bucky, Butch and Ted came rumbling in. It just wasn't far enough Bucky said with his usual grin. No way was I gonna ride just 6 miles for lunch on a day that is supposed to turn out as warm as is predicted for today.
And it did! By mid afternoon the temperature peaked at 72 degrees at the bank sign in Hesston when Leonard and I took a little side trip home from lunch. Joyce wanted to get back home, anxious to ride her bicycle in this warm weather so Gary provided shuttle service for her so I could continue my day in the Sun.
Butch Klinger riding the Harley that I hauled back home for him after the Arkansas rally last fall, won long distance for the day posting a 202 mile day of fun to lunch. Asking Butch what had happened to his bike at Arkansas, he indicated a thrashed cam bearing. Not a major issue on an OHV engine maybe but the cam is in the case on a Harley so a major rebuild was required. Being kind of a cheapskate, I could have bought a few used runners for what he indicated the repair was on his bike. He must have a deeper love of his Harleys than I do of any bike I've ever had is all I could think. Of course it's worth more to begin with I hasten to point out.
Leonard and I swapped bikes for the ride home following a superb chocolate malt at Skoops. It was almost on the way home from Wellington I told him. I like the looks of the new Triumphs but have never ridden one so his W-650 Kawasaki seemed a respectable alternative. I know why vertical twins are as popular as they are. It's a very enjoyable engine and brought back all kinds of great memories of my old XS650 Yamaha of ages past. Still, one of my favorite all time bikes. Just a tad shy on fuel capacity. Still....one of the new Bonnevilles would be a hoot. What a great sounding engine!
Some of the other guys showed up at Skoops just as Leonard and I were leaving and indicated they 'hit' the old private car museum in Ellsworth before they left and really enjoyed it. I had heard someone speak of it but the local newspaper guy had me cornered as they were leaving and I missed out on where they went so chalk that one up not paying attention.
The meal today was a priced right, pork tenderloin with all the trimmin's and the cherry pie was marvelous. Don't know what most of the 43 guys in attendance had but if they didn't get the special, they missed a humdinger of a meal.
I could babble on but actually I would like to hear from some of you guys and what experience you had for the day. Chime in here and let us know what you thought of the day!

By the way, I forgot to announce that I'm fix'in to place an order for a variety of sizes of safety green short sleeve 'T's' . These are the KRHA model, so if you want a specific size let me know so I can get you one. Richard
Louie

Re: New Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 4-08-09

Post by Louie »

Neil, Emery, Gary and I road out to Dorance and did the Lake Wilson road west to east finaly ending up in Sylvan Grove. Where I might add, I had ice cream and Gary along with Neil had pie for the scond time. Emory had a cheese burger and fries since he didn't get served in Ellsworth. All in all, that lake ride was terrific. I had never been on it before.
Louie
wil6831

Re: New Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 4-08-09

Post by wil6831 »

What!, Emery didn't get served? You should have said something, never known him to be shy.
As Richard said we swapped bikes on the way home from Hesston. It was my first time in many years to ride a cruiser type bike like his Suzuki C-50. Once I figured out where to put my feet, got snuggled down the saddle and got used to the wide bars it was a nice ride, very comfortable and handled much better than I thought it would. I may have to have one of these someday.
Ellsworth was my first ROMEO ride since July of last year and I thoroughly enjoyed the time on the bike. My back surgery seems to have helped and I didn't experience the pain I had before. Looking forward to Longford.
Leonard, Hull, GA
2004 Royal Enfield Bullet (gone)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (sold)
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100