Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 3-04-09

Moderator: Roadpounder

Richard

Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 3-04-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - It was supposed to be a reasonably nice day ,for winter time at least, the last time we tried to schedule this place, but, as you know, 'Murphy's Law' had to intercede and it was a frosty one and only four actually ventured out to show for what was a wonderfully prepared Mexican special. Everyone was in their foul weather gear riding their four wheeler....including me!
I told the kind folks that had worked so hard to prepare this extra special meal for us that we would certainly try again and attempt to make it up to them so, lets all try to turn out in force this time since the new forecast reads 70 degrees for Wednesday. Last week was near perfect and this one looks similar. Let's hope!
Most have been to this little town before when we met across the street at the cafe on the corner so directions should not be necessary but just remember that Marquette is conveniently close for a quick side trip for ice cream and a zip through the Kansas Motorcycle Museum. I'm looking forward to it!

Here's the place...............................Fat Boyz Bar & Grill
245 Main Street
(620)897-5216
Little River, Kansas 67457
Tom & Margretta Heidorn, Owners

As always.................ride careful, ride safe and I'll see you in Little River. Richard
Last edited by Richard on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronson09

Re: Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 3-07-09

Post by Ronson09 »

Confused-----Isn't Wednesday 03-04-09 ?
Richard

Re: Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 3-04-09

Post by Richard »

Ronson - Yep, 'yer absolutely correct. I turned my calendar over the wrong way and got January instead of March. Lost my glassed saturday that had my bifocals in them. Sorry! Richard
Richard

Re: Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride Report for 3-04-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - Given enough time and warmer weather, I knew he would return, just like McArthur. Who you say....Long john, of course with his typical kind of mileage....257. He's on a mission I think to wear out his Blue GL or could it be he just really likes to ride. We should make up a 'T' with his photo on it sitting on his bike highlighting his bald tires of course. He instructed me that ,I too, could rack up these kind of miles if I were to just get up at daybreak....to which I gave my normal reply....just when does that happen.

Most of the 48 guys in attendance today arrived conveniently early to make an impression upon the local community and it turned into quite a bike show before we began venturing into the cafe to eat.
On a sad note, many of you may remember the little corner cafe across the street from where we were scheduled today. A few locals indicated they just lost that one a few months ago and they were sure doing their best to try and support this last dining facility in town. I was impressed with the comment that the owner of the grocery store made when he said that they are all working together now to keep the businesses afloat by using each other as a material supplier. In other words the cafe gets their meats from the grocer instead of the impersonal grocery providers so common among the chain facilities. Good on 'ya! Maybe it's time some of the other small towns 'wake up' to this, keep it local, approach whenever they can.

We pretty well overwhelmed the place today but everyone got served. Some later than others but thanks guys for sticking around till the end and not letting some of the folks feel rushed or anxious about waiting so long to eat. The visitation is a major part of why a lot of the guys enjoy these lunches so well.
I had planned on going to Marquette after lunch but the urgency to find a cycle accessory sent me in a different direction today. We went to McPherson to visit Richter's Cycle where Dan had a new set of rim protectors mounted on his 'HOGster.
Naturally after killing as much time as we could here, ice cream called and we discovered some chocolate covered cones at the local Dairy Queen.
No ride is without incident of some type and Randy was found at the side of the road after lunch with his 'Savage' the subject of his direct scrutiny. We motored past but at the first turnoff, reversed direction and went back to check. He said it had misfired a couple of times on the way down and didn't act quite right but he didn't think much of it but on the way out of Litte River, he said it just flat gave out.

We all stood around as guys will not knowing what to do when he decided to start it again and it lit up. We discussed it some and Louie said it might be a bad petcock and put it on prime for the rest of the way to McPherson. Upon arriving he indicated that it still bucked. As we visited I became more convinced that it sounded to me like the symptom of water in the fuel. I advised Randy to remove the float drain bolt and inspect the fuel that comes from it. After finishing at the cycle shop I was surprised to find that he had already drained it and initial report seems to be positive. I followed him all the way back to Lindsborg and he seemed to have more than adequate acceleration to keep putting distance in front of me. Of course I was riding two up you understand.