South Central Lunch Ride: Wednesday, November 16, 12:00 Noon

roginoz

South Central Lunch Ride: Wednesday, November 16, 12:00 Noon

Post by roginoz »

Who’s up for some Mexican food? We’ve been looking for more places south of Wichita; a couple of our riders suggested this one, and the online reviews have also been good. Winfield is a little larger than most of the towns we visit, but this place is a family run operation and I’m sure they’d appreciate our support.

Winfield is about fifty miles and an hour’s travel time from Wichita (perhaps a little less on a motorcycle…) or ten miles and fifteen minutes from downtown Oxford.

Right now the long range forecast calls for fifty-nine degrees, sunny, winds of thirteen mph, and no chance of rain. That’s about as good as we can hope for in mid-November, and a little better than what we had last week’s ride. Lunch is set for noon, so we'll have an extra hour of sunshine before we ride. So: bundle up a little bit if you need to and head for El Maguey. If you’re too warm blooded to make the ride on two (or three) wheels, grab the car keys and join us anyway.

TIME:
12:00 Noon, Wednesday, November 16

PLACE:
El Maguey
1515 E 9th Ave (Highway 160)
Winfield, KS 67156
(620) 221-4940

MAP:
Roger Shores has, or will soon have, a map up at the following link:
http://tinyurl.com/Romeo-Rides-This-Week

For a view of all the past and present ROMEO destinations, click on the following link:
http://tinyurl.com/lxldjr
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
Ronson09

Re: South Central Lunch Ride: Wednesday, November 16, 12:00

Post by Ronson09 »

The Legendary "Small Group " will leave Bob Troxel's MotorSports at 10:30 for the ride to Winfield... Maybe we can talk Bob Lee in to one of his famous Scenic Routes to Winfield.. And another Scenic route for the return to Wichita ?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Guys - While you're in this neat little mid sized Kansas town of Winfield, try and take a few minutes to drop into one of the neatest leather shops around. On Main Street, Liermans is one block South of the main intersection of town and located on the East side of the street. It has a brown colored board and batten front so it's easy to spot.
I used to live there at one time and it's still where I go to get my Elk Skin 'Roper' gloves. Essentially the same 'ROPERS' as Aerostitch sells in their catalog from Duluth, Minnesota, but for a few bucks less.
Elkskin is fantastic. It's washable, wears like iron and lasts longer than any other type of glove I've ever owned. And if that's not enough, the place smells like a man's store aught to. Nothing any sweeter than fresh leather! Richard
Ronson09

Post by Ronson09 »

Thanks for the heads up on Liermans...A welcome addition to our days ride.
lsauzek

Post by lsauzek »

Hope your planning on standing in line .This could be Winfields busiest resturant .
roginoz

Post by roginoz »

lsauzek wrote:Hope your planning on standing in line .This could be Winfields busiest resturant .
Hopefully, that means that it's one of Winfield's better restaurants, as well. Having never been there, I have no way of knowing how busy it might be. If it doesn't work out, we'll know to go elsewhere next time. I'm (still) open to suggestions if someone knows of new places down south.
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
BeemerBill

Post by BeemerBill »

Roger, did you get the e-mail I sent you about eating places ?
I never received a reply, so I wasn't sure.
I and a few others are planning on riding down to Winfield, I hope the food is as good as I remember, see you there.
BeemerBill
Two-Lane Blacktop isn't a Highway---It's an Attitude
BeemerBill

Post by BeemerBill »

Good choice Roger. Sorry you were not able to make it. Looked like maybe 12 to 15 riders showed up.
The Mexican food was very good, or at least mine was. Sorry, I forgot my camera so didn't get any
pictures. It was a pretty cool ride over, I logged 58 miles one way from my house, but I have certainly
ridden in colder weather. Going through Rose Hill, I saw 40* on their bank sign, but I was dressed for
it. We were invited by Gen-Bob and Big-John to join them after dinner for some ice cream at Braum's,
but for some reason, ice cream and ridding back in 40* temps just wasn't as appealing to us as it must
have been to them.... L.O.L. On the way home, in east Wichita, around Greenwich rd. and Central, it
was snowing, I don't mean a few flakes, I mean actually snowing, as very visable an getting on my wind-
shield and faceshield. The temperature seemed to have dropped several degrees and was becoming quite
cold.... I certainly hadn't planned on that, but it was actually kind of neat, even though several of the
people in their nice warm cages were looking at me strangely as I was riding along....
I had a great ride and a great time and I certainly am glad I decided to ride over.
Thanks Roger for setting
it up.
BeemerBill
Two-Lane Blacktop isn't a Highway---It's an Attitude