Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 02-04-09

Moderator: Roadpounder

Richard

Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 02-04-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - Momma of the house here says it will probably still be too cold for her but mid 50's sounds
adequately warm to try out my new K&N filter. I expect her to be there anyway 'cause she's seldom
missed a free meal. Anyway, she probably has more geocaches run of for us to look up on the way back
to Lindsborg.

Here's the place..........................D'Angelo's Pizzeria
247 Main
Halstead, Kansas 67056
316-835-3589
Alan Weber, Manager

We've been to this little town on a couple other occasions but never to this place. Although the name
indicates Pizza, let me assure you they have much, much more. The town is a delight and be sure to
check out the old hardware store across the street, you won't be disappointed. If you happen to be into
nostalgia, an award winning movie 'PICNIC' with William Holden and Kim Novak was shot just north of town
in their park.

As always..........................ride careful, ride safe and I'll see you in Halstead. Richard
Richard

Re: Wednesday Central ROMEO Lunch Ride Report for 02-04-09

Post by Richard »

Guys - In the wintertime 'yer just gonna get cold!
An hour before noon Gary showed up at the house dressed in his snowmobile garb looking kinda like the Michelin man but obviously comfortable sit'n in his big touring Yamaha Venture. Tunes were playin and he looked all warm and fuzzy. Probably got 'lectrics too, I thought, as I began layering up.
It was just a tad over 40 miles to Halstead and I had purposely delayed the start so it would warm up to the 50's they had been promoting for the day. It was not to be!
Half way there I took stock of all my digits and found myself quite comfortable, thank you very much, other than my right thumb. The wind was out of the SW and it was the only thing I could have claimed was definitely uncomfortable but not.... miserable to the point of constant attention.
We arrived to find a few others just parking their bikes so we didn't feel like fools when we were the last to walk in. The fool part came just a bit later when I couldn't get my camera phone to show an image on the screen to take a good picture. I took several as a result thinking that one of them surely was good enough to send but later at home I realized that the lens is covered by the belt hanger if you don't first take the phone off of it. So guys....once again, technology wins. Or is it stupidity loses. Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings from the man....John Wayne. Life is tough but its even tougher if 'yer stupid! The shoe fit!
Thirteen showed,including my wife who enjoyed her ride to Halstead inside her mobil beauty salon. Have you guys ever noticed the stuff that women seem to have to carry with them!
D'Angelos had several enticing pizzas already prepared and on the buffet so to speed thing up so we could get outside again during such a lovely day, we all partook of the ready lunch offering. OK so I stretched it a bit. We hung in for a long time just warming up.
Someone found a piece of flat iron outside in the street with two holes precisely drilled at the ends and brought it in and laid it down in front of Gibbo thinking it was obviously some kind of part that had just vibrated off of his Harley. And then it began..........all in good fun of course until lunch was over and we decided to reconvene in Hesston at Skoops for ice cream as we often do for more of the same.
Boy do I love my Wednesday's! Richard

PS. Oh, I forgot to mention the results of the first little test I did on my new K&N air filter. I hope this great result becomes standard because this first small test is overwhelmingly satisfactory. I had a few miles on my tank prior to leaving for Halstead so I didn't fill up before I left but did top it up to where I usually do upon my return and I'm happy to report I exceeded my typical 53 to 55 mpg average significantly. I am delighted to report that this trip calculated out to 57.13457 mpg. A healthy increase over what I typically get. I admit I ride like an old man but....I am an old man. I did nothing different. I rode just as I always do. I fought a headwind on the way south and had the luxury of the tailwind on the way back. I'm a believer now! Fortunately my C-50 has fuel injection so a carbureted bike may require some adjustment but mine didn't, it was a straightforward swap of the original filter. Try one for yourself, I don't think you will be disappointed. And they're good for a million miles. Of course you have to clean 'em occasionally! Cost of the filter was a reasonable 45.00.