IRON BUTT - COAST TO COAST

A place to list other riding events. Anyone is welcome to announce any kind of group ride - whether it is for just a handful of riders or for a major event.
shoresr

IRON BUTT - COAST TO COAST

Post by shoresr »

IRON BUTT 50CC (Coast to Coast in Fifty Hours)

On April 7, 2011 I will be leaving Kansas City for Jacksonville, FL to attempt the IRON BUTT 50CC, riding from Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, CA in 50 hours, 2339 miles. Hopefully, I will be back in Kansas City, April 15 or 16.

IRON BUTT 50CC http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdo ... fm?DocID=4

Several of you have expressed more than a casual interest in the IRON BUTT rides. If you would like to join me or would like more information about this ride or other IRON BUTT rides I would be happy to visit with you. I have completed the 1000 mile in 24 hrs, the 1500 mile in 36 hrs and the SS2000 GOLD, 2000 miles in 36 hours.

Iron Butt Association
http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

Roger
twowheels2eat@gmail.com
shovelmike

Re: IRON BUTT - COAST TO COAST

Post by shovelmike »

We are wishing you the very best in this latest undertaking, and are sure that you will be successful in achieving this new goal. Ride safe and GOD bless.
Ken Krumm

Post by Ken Krumm »

I'm not interested in 2400 miles of Interstate for an IronButt. With no stops, you should be able to still sleep and still make the time.

Here's a story I wrote on the last IronButt Lee Hunt, Steve Hart and I participated in - The Colorado Classic 1000. Note the photos taken by Lee Hunt when we ran into snow. The Colorado Classic 1000 was an Ironbutt with 12 Continental passes through the rockies on slow mountain roads. I say was because this event is no longer. This event was limited to 125 participants. However, the word must have gotten out from the previous year’s event (the route changes every year) on the difficulty of the mountains, and only 45 registered. With the rain and cold, eight participants decided not to start, and 12 did not finish. Out of the remaining 25 participants, several used GPS to figure out how to avoid riding the route, staying on the interstate, only going to the checkpoints. For those that followed the designated route, it was definitely not a ticket punch Ironbutt. After completing this one, I really have not desire to do another.

http://www.cycleconnections.com/article ... =2&ID=1762
Ken Krumm - Manhattan, KS
2016 BMW R1200GSA
2004 BMW R1150GS
2004 Ducati ST3
1996 BMW R1100RT
1996 BMW K1100LT
1974 Norton 850 Commando
1969 BSA 441 Victor Special
1959 BMW R50
Klem

Post by Klem »

I did the first basic Iron Butt, (1170 miles in 21 hrs.) I had plans, route and time to do the 1500 in 24 hrs and do to family got it delayed. By the time everything was back to normal I no longer had the desire. Many years back I rode Hare Scrambles which is off road endurance racing. Like the iron butt rides it was fun and like the iron butt rides I came to the realization that I didn't care about impressing anyone about how I rode, and in reality no one was impressed anyway. Ride for the enjoyment of the ride. Sometimes it is fun to push your limits, I hope Roger has a safe and successful trip.

Don
Motorcycles are like Potato chips One is never enough
John Kuhn

Post by John Kuhn »

Ride safe Roger. Keep those eyes open and watch out for 4 wheelers.
GOOD LUCK!
Big Bad John
Parkville Rider

Post by Parkville Rider »

Are you trying to wear your Wing out so you can buy a new one? :D

I hope you have a safe trip. It appears to be something you really enjoy but please take care and watch yourself as this is a serious risk to both body and machine. The machine can always be replaced, but bodies are getting harder to come by. :(

Gary
Gary D.
a.k.a. Romeo Map Genie
Parkville MO
2014 BMW K1600GT
shoresr

Post by shoresr »

Bike preparation: Before the trip I took my bike to Tim in Lawrence and had it checked out. He talked me into a new rear tire. I have been getting around 16,000 average on rear. This tire had 13,000. This is going to be a 5-6,000 mile trip. He advised putting on a new tire and I did. The same with oil. My oil was a 4,000 (full synthetic), but not enough for the whole trip and I am not changing on the road. Bike is cleaned, waxed and ready to go. Oh yes, Bob Diehl. I threw in the very nice little gas can you bought me :lol:
[attachment=26]IMG_3633.JPG[/attachment]

I pay a lot of attention to food. I never stop to eat. So it is important to have food that is good for me, not junk food. Missy helps me with this and I really enjoy my food. Most of it I call eat while riding or while filling my gas tank. I love the little peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. She will only let me eat those when I am on a trip like this, so that is a real treat. Lots of breakfast bars, energy bars, trail mix. If I get tired gatorade, v-8 or an energy bar seem to pick me up. My main meals are Subways. I will get 2 footlongs and make 4 meals out of them. I usually get chicken breast or turkey. I have to watch what I put on the ones for the 2nd day, no mayo or lettuce, etc... I usually try to get breakfast at the motel before starting out, but not this time. I will be leaving before breakfast each morning. Maybe Subway can help me with this too? I wanted some frozen sausage biscuits that I could throw into the microwave in the morning, but that didn't happen. The little frozen ice packs seem to keep everything cold. Or have to this point.

[attachment=27]IMG_3631.JPG[/attachment]

I will try to map my progress???
http://tinyurl.com/3dltkcx

[attachment=25]IMG_3630.JPG[/attachment]

Day 1 Wed April 6, 2011
I left Kansas City at 10 am and arrived in Fulton, MS at 8 pm, 565 miles. Fulton is just past Tupelo the birthplace of Elvis Pressly. It was 55 when I left KC, it got to 75 and it was 68 when I stopped. I headed down to Springfield, MO, through Jonesboro, AR, Memphis, TN and thru Tupelo. It was a perfect day for riding except a little windy later in the pm. I hadn't found a bypass around Memphis and the traffic was horrible. Just after crossing the Mississippi River I saw the biggest container loading and unloading facility I had ever seen away from the ocean. There was 18 wheels for 10 miles each way from the place. It was a good example of what trucks do to our roads.

Day 2 Thurs April 7, 2011.
Rode ten hours 560 miles and made it to Jacksonville Beach, at 6:30pm It was a great day for riding. Started out at 64 degrees, made it to 84 for a short time and ended at 79. Sunny and partly cloudy with no wind. Couldn’t have been any better. Mississippi was a lot of rolling hills with big sweepers. Then came Georgia. I knew I wasn’t in Kansas anymore!! Pecans, Pecans and more pecans. They are beautiful trees. I didn’t stop for any boiled peanuts. Then there was cotton and more cotton. I would have enjoyed the trip through Georgia if it hadn’t been over 200 miles of 55 mph with a stop light every 1 mile. That must be their speed control, never saw a policeman, but couldn’t get over 55 before another light.

Day 3 Fri April 8, 2011
A restful day. The first thing I did was find the Police Station and get my Eyewitness Form authenticated. The police were very cooperative and knew more about the ride than I did. I was not the first :roll: After that I headed to the beach. Unlike a lot of places the beach is easy to get to and parking was not a problem, although they would let me drive on it like then did in Padre :oops: I commandeered a young man to go into the water and collect the Atlantic Sea Water and sand 8-) I didn't want to get wet and dirty. After that I rode around, checked out the city and planned my route out of town. The route my GPS brought me in by was right through the middle of Jacksonville and I got caught in game traffic at their stadium, as bad as the Royal's traffic. I checked my tire pressure. The rear had 41(late afternoon). Tim likes them over so I raised it up to 50. I must have lost a little. Front was 2-3 over 38-39. I left it alone.

I think I am ready. Now if I can just sleep. I plan to start the ride at 6 in the morning. I will be in San Diego 50 hours later at 8.

I plan on riding
15 hrs 1050 miles
7 hrs sleep
15 hrs 1050 miles
7 hrs sleep
3 hrs 258 miles

We will see how close I come :|

My first stop in Jacksonville. Fl was the police dept for credible EYEWITNESS!!
My first stop in Jacksonville. Fl was the police dept for credible EYEWITNESS!!
Next was Atlantic Ocean seawater and sand!
Next was Atlantic Ocean seawater and sand!
You didn't think I was going to get wet, did you?
You didn't think I was going to get wet, did you?
I have it!!  The young lad did a great job!!
I have it!! The young lad did a great job!!
Well tomorrow is the day!!  It has been a beautiful trip so far, wish me luck
Well tomorrow is the day!! It has been a beautiful trip so far, wish me luck
START OF 50CC---COAST TO COAST IN 50 HOURS!!

[attachment=19]021.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=18]019.JPG[/attachment]
Day 4 Sat April 9, 2011 (Start of Coast to Coast in 50 hours) Jacksonville, FL to Kerrville, TX
Left Jacksonville, Fl this morning at 4:45. It was 9:45 pm when I pulled into Kerrville, TX 1188 miles on motorcycle odometer (1151.8 miles on my Garmin Nuvi 760 GPS) 17 hrs my moving average speed was 71.5 mph. I had to stop for gas six times. My total stopped time according to my GPS was 16:06. That has to be wrong. Short report time to sleep. Nice ride everything is fine. I may go on into San Diego CA tomorrow instead of taking another day. I will see how I feel in the morning. Thanks for all the good wishes!!!

(NOW THE REAL STORY--I AM WRITING THIS POST RIDE)
I felt real good until I laid my head down on the pillow. I was pretty up tight and had trouble going to sleep. I am constantly recalculating distance time and miles per hour. I had made good time. My moving average was 71.5 and most of the speed limits had been 75 but I had some large cities to deal with. I woke up after about 2 hours and was wide awake. Should I get up and go or try to go back to sleep? I had read that this feel good is a false sense and hits you big time in about 2 hrs down the road. I now decided I had to have sleep and it was better to get 7 or 8 hours of sleep than my planned six. I finally went back to sleep. Even though I was sleeping my mind was calculating. I was staying in a nice clean Days Inn in Kerrville, TX. To complicate things, shortly after I laid down I thought I felt something crawl across my arm. No couldn’t be? Then it happened again. I got up, turned the light on and there on my pillow was the biggest bug I had ever seen. I grabbed it in a wash rag and put it in the ice bucket and slammed the lid. Back to sleep. The rest of the night I hear scratching. Now I was sure there were rats gnawing to get in. Or a squirrel eating his way through the ceiling. My daughter said I was hallucinating. Thanks, Pat. I took my ice bucket to the manager in the morning and he opened it up and yes there was a bug in there. He said it was a beetle and yes they always come in this time of year and we can’t keep them out. It was the beetle scratching on the sides of the ice bucket I heard all night.

Now the dillema. I have approximately 1264 miles to go. I am averaging 71.5 mph. I have been on the road 29 hours. I have 21 hours to go. My original plan is shot!! I don’t have enough time to ride 15 hrs 1050 miles, off 7, and then finish in 3 more hrs. That would be 54 hours. I had slept too long. That would be 4 hours over the 50 hour limit!! My only choice, if I am to complete the ride is to ride the rest in one straight shot. I would have to ride 17hrs and 40 minutes at my current average of 71.5 and that is without stopping for gas. Gas stops are taking 10 to 15 minutes and I am stopping every 150 to 176 miles. Terrible mileage because of wind, speed and distance between gas stations. I have to figure 8 stops at 12 minutes. That is another 1:36 minutes. I would now have to ride 19 hrs and 36 minutes. That would put me in San Diego at 4:30 Monday morning!!

I THREW IN THE TOWEL!!! It was very difficult for me to do, and admit that I had failed. I can’t remember failing before. I finally resigned myself to that fact that it was the smart thing to do and that is was OK, I had tried. I called Melissa, and told her the whole story, even about the BEETLE. She consoled me and made me feel OK, as she has always done through our 40+ years of marriage. I was kind of relieved. The pressure was off. Now what to do? Head on home? I had already had a great trip and ridden 2363 miles or should I finish the ride and forget the 50 hour time limit. I thought riding coast to coast is still a great accomplishment, forget the time. I will ride on out to San Diego and pick up my sand and water anyway. All is good...let’s ride!!
(END OF POST RIDE NARRATIVE)

Day 5 Sunday April 10, 2011 (Kerrville, TX to San Diego, CA)
I was off the road about 8 hrs. Left Kerrville about 8:00am CDT. I arrived in San Diego CA at 1:30 am CDT Monday April 11, 2011. I had ridden 1264 miles on the second day. I arrived safe and sound, excited and tired. The reason I didn't think I could finish the ride on time and gave up was moving average. On the first day of the ride I had averaged 71.5 mph (moving average) and ridden 1188 miles and had 6 gas stops. I had 1264 miles to go. If I averaged 71.5 mph on the rest of the trip that would be 17 hours and 40 minutes without gas stops. If I planned on 7 gas stops at 12 minutes each that would be an additional hour and 24 minutes. That's 19 hrs and 4 minutes and I would be arriving in San Diego at 3:00 in the morning. :shock: I didn't want to risk that. Now you're probably asking yourself, Well if this is the case how did the crazy fool do it? Frankly, I am not sure. I do know that when I got to the city limits of Kerrville I saw my first 80 mph speed limit and I put the ol' Gold Wing on 85+ and let her rip. One of my calculations says I averaged 75.46 mph from Kerrville to San Diego. :o That seems awfully high but I do know my moving average from Jacksonville Beach, FL to Kerrville, TX was 71.5. My average for the whole trip was 72.5.

At Casa Grande, AZ I got off of Highway 10 and onto Highway 8 which took me through Yuma, El Centro, one of the border crossing towns into Mexicali, Mexico and on into El Cajon, just east of San Diego. This was a beautiful ride until it got dark. It was littered with Border Patrol Inspections every 10 to 20 miles. It was really eerie being so close to the Mexican Border and knowing how much is going on in this area. I could feel the tension and pressure just riding through. I had to stop at Ocotillo very late at night for an emergency gas stop. The attendant was armed and behind a locked door. Naturally the printer on the pump was out of paper and I had to ask the attendant for a receipt. He did not unlock the door. I had to ride through mountains entering San Diego, which reached 4000 feet where the temperature fell to 21 degrees. I had ridden through the dessert all day, was not dressed for the cold, I was so close and it was getting later and later, I did not want to stop to put more clothes on, when I got to San Diego, I was cold, tired and miserable.

Total time Jacksonville, Fl to San Diego, CA, Coast to Coast, Atlantic to Pacific, 43 hours 52 minutes, 2,452 miles with an average speed of 72.5 mph.

FINISHED THE COAST TO COAST IN 43 HOURS AND 52 MINUTES---2,452 miles
Midway Shell, 3425 Midway Drive, San Diego, CA  The Finish 23:36:56 PDT April 10, 2011
Midway Shell, 3425 Midway Drive, San Diego, CA The Finish 23:36:56 PDT April 10, 2011
Bike odometer at the end of the 50CC  (Coast to Coast in 50 hours) San Diego, CA  69,800 miles
Bike odometer at the end of the 50CC (Coast to Coast in 50 hours) San Diego, CA 69,800 miles
My GPS recorded 2,373.4 miles from Jacksonville Beach, FL to San Diego, CA  with a moving average speed of 72.5 mph
My GPS recorded 2,373.4 miles from Jacksonville Beach, FL to San Diego, CA with a moving average speed of 72.5 mph
Most Iron Butt Rides are so many miles in so many hours ie 1000 miles in 24 hours. On most motorcycles it is best not to trust the odometer or speedometer. As you can see the bike registered 2452 miles and the GPS registered 2373.4. The bike said I went 78.6 miles further than I actually did. If you are riding a 1000 miles Iron Butt ride it is best not to trust your bike's odometer. My speedometer shows 1 mph slower than I am actually going. Some bikes can be off as much as 5 mph.

Day 6 Monday April 11, 2011 (In San Diego getting Police report, sand and water
I got my EYEWITNESS attested at the Police Station, 5215 Gaines St, San Diego, CA by Officer Joel Houlihan
I got my EYEWITNESS attested at the Police Station, 5215 Gaines St, San Diego, CA by Officer Joel Houlihan
Pacific Ocean Sand and Salt Water in hand...I'm done!!
Pacific Ocean Sand and Salt Water in hand...I'm done!!
This bike has seen a lot of SAND
This bike has seen a lot of SAND
I got my Pacific Ocean Sand and Salt Water at Ocean Beach, San Diego, CA
I got my Pacific Ocean Sand and Salt Water at Ocean Beach, San Diego, CA
The Coast to Coast ride was over.  I could now see beauty in my surroundings
The Coast to Coast ride was over. I could now see beauty in my surroundings
One day Bob Diehl and I were riding and I ran out of gas :o Bob was kind enough to go get me gas and a gas can. I filled the can and took it with me. Although I never used it, it saved me a lot of time. On these rides my mileage varies a whole lot because of excessive speed 85 mph, head winds, and the unknown location of gas stations. On normal riding I figure 200 miles per tank. There was one fill up on this trip I only got 155 miles!! Because I had the extra gallon of gas, many times I rode till my fuel light came on. Without the extra gas I would not have done this. As it was I stopped 15 times for gas at an average of 12 minutes each. That is 3 hours :o You never figure a 12 minute gas stop could cost you 3 hours over the duration of a trip.
[attachment=9]081.JPG[/attachment]
Day 7 Tuesday April 12, 2011 (Rode from San Diego to St George, UT)
Today, I met Melissa and her 3 friends at Red Rock Spa in Ivins, UT. This is one of the most beautiful areas I have ever since. The ladies were nice enough to let me join them for dinner then spent the night in St George, UT --- today I rode 486 miles. My total miles since I left KC is 4171 miles. The weather couldn't have been better, but there is a storm coming in from the northwest, behind me. Denver is looking bad for Thursday, gotta go!!! I have updated my google map, somewhat http://tinyurl.com/3dltkcx
[attachment=7]048.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=6]CIMG1117.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=8]047.JPG[/attachment]
Day 8 Wed April 13, 2011-----St. George, Ut to Silverthorne, CO 584 miles

I AM SNOWED IN!!!! I am stopped in Silverthorne, Co. I had to turn around about 10 miles and about 3000 feet of altitude short of the Eisenhower Tunnel.

This could go down as one of the best scenery days in my riding ( Brice Canyon, Zion National Park and MOAH). The scenery changed all the time and it has a little bit of everything. I definitely put it up there with my Sedona-Grand Canyon trip. I think my favorite picture is the low red mountains in the foreground and the hugh snow capped mountains in the background, absolutely stunning. I will come back and do it right next time.

This morning I was two ten hour riding days from home. The forecast said there was going to be thunderstorms in Denver Thursday afternoon, so I was hightailing it to Limon, CO a little over half way. All day I had been listening to NOAH weather and a big storm was coming in from the Pacific and they were forecast a foot of snow where I was. I enter the Rockies Ski areas, Vail, Copper Mountain etc. They are remnants of alot of snow and I have to slow down because of all the sand on the roads and the melting snow. The temp is 49 degrees. I am 78 miles from Denver. I start up out of Silverthorn and with a mile it is snowing those big globs of slush and I can’t keep my visor clear enough to see where I am going. I have to slow to a speed that is unsafe because the trucks and cars with wipers are not affected. I don’t know whether I still have to go higher or if I am headed down to Denver. It was so bad I figured I needed to know so I turned around (not easy to do). The advice I took was the Eisenhower Tunnel was a good 2-3000 feet higher and would be impassible on a motorcycle. I am now warm and toasty in a Days Inn in Silverthorne, that usually cost $180 up a night for $43 and I have my own garage. Plus several people have told me that it could be 2 days before a motorcycle could make it over the mountain!! What an adventure I have had! I would take anything for the experience. Can’t wait to see what day 8 brings.

I just started checking road conditions for tomorrow and found out that the Eisenhower Tunnel is closed

Total Displayed: 14/13/11 at 9:01 PM
Road Alert Description
70E
CLOSEDView Map
I-70 Eastbound Eisenhower Tunnel (Milemarker 213-213)
Closed because of injury accident and snow. Injury accident east of tunnel. Eastbound traffic is being held at the West Portal. Road closure began April 13th, 2011 at 7:53pm.

That is almost the exact time I would have been there is I had not turned around. Someone was looking out for me!!

Day 8 Wednesday, April 13, 2011 (stream of conscientiousness or unconscientiousness)
I spend the day SNOWED in in Silverthorne, CO....6.8 miles west of Eisenhower Tunnel in Silverthorne, CO

6:30 am for those following this is real time. Check out this website cotrip.org Find the camera showing live pictures or the Eisenhower Tunnel. Snow and ice packed. I am going nowhere soon. The roads are passable down here in Silverthorne and one might think it would be alright to start, but when you look at the roads ahead it doesn't look good. I am glad I got a good rate on this motel. I may be here awhile.

7:00 am It has now started snowing in Silverthorne. It is snowing hard but not sticking too much.

10:20 am Just had a nice visit with Jerry on the phone. I was nice to hear his encouraging words. I am trying to be comfortable with my decision to stay put. It is warming up and the chemicals are working on the snow and ice. The forecast for tonight is low of 17 with 40 mph gusts!! Plus the forecast from Denver all the way to Kansas City for tomorrow is thunder showers and 40 mph winds. I can find no good option. I just went down and started the bike. It got pretty wet yesterday. It sounds real good and it is real hard not to get on it and try???

1:00 pm Got the bike out cleaned the windshield and helmet. Rode to lunch, got gas and to Sports Authority. Bought my 20th set of long underwear and ski mask. We is that long underwear never with you when you need it? I have had my Gerbing Heat gear since Christmas and it still is not working!! The sun is out down here and everything is melting. It is 34 degrees. The mountains are all in the clouds. I think I will try it tomorrow. I don't think the snow will be the problem as much as cold and wind. It is suppose to go down to 17 tonight with a wind chill of 7 degrees. I will probably start a little later. Hopefully the roads will freeze dry, then sand will be the only problem. The forecast for Limon, Colby, Goodland, Salina are all terrible, forty mph winds with gusts to 60!! It will be a very long ride across Kansas.

7:30 pm Bob Diehl read about my dilemma. If you know Bob, you know he has been about everywhere and seen everything. Bob emailed me and said the best place to eat in SILVERTHORNE, CO., was “The Mint” http://www.mintsteakhouse.com/home/steaks.php
How he remembers all the places he has been is quite remarkable. Anyway I went to The Mint for dinner tonight and it was a lot of fun. They are unique because you walk up to their meat counter and point to the steak you want, they hand it to you on a plate, of course and you are off to the grill to cook your own steak. The steak was excellent and the experience unique. If you are ever in Silverthorne, CO don’t forget The Mint. Thanks Bob!!

8:00 pm At this point the picture of the roads where I have to go are still looking scary. It is 23 degrees now and going down to 17 degrees. Hopefully, it will warm up tomorrow and I can atleast make it over the mountain. I would like to make it home but if the wind is to bad I will stop as early as Denver and as late as Limon, CO. Saturday is looking like a very nice day all the way through. I may just wait. As Jerry told me, this day of rest has been very good for me. Good night...

8:12 pm My final check of the road show that I-70 is closed from Genoa to Limon, CO. I never thought of checking the roads way out there. I thought when I got that far I was home free and only had to worry about a "little" wind :lol: I don't think there is any reason to get in a hurry. Saturday is looking better all the time.

Day 9 Thursday, April 14, 2011 (I travel from Silverthorne, CO to Salina, KS 524 miles 7.5 hours)

6:30 am I-70 was closed at Eisenhower Tunnel, Loveland Pass and Limon last night. They are now open but chains are being required on all commercial vehicles. Plus the temperature here in Silverthorne is 11 degrees. Does the sun ever shine up in the mountains :!: cotrip.org check out Eisenhower Tunnel, Loveland Pass and Howard's Gulch :o

11:00 am It is 17 degrees in Silverthorne. It is still suppose to get to 41?? After taking into consideration a multitude of sources, it may never be perfect to take a motorcycle through Eisenhower Tunnel or Loveland Pass.

I have decided to try to make it, leaving here at 2:00pm The sunniest and warmest party of the day. A two hour window. I only have to make 8.6 miles :roll: I may be pushing the Gold Wing!! but I am going to make it. That is only half the story. I saw that I-70 is still closed at Limon, CO. I called the Econo Lodge there to check of availability and Robin said, yes I-70 is indeed closed due to high winds, but right now she has rooms. She said she didn't know how it was from Denver to Limon. If I get out of these mountains I may just stop in Denver. Tomorrow is suppose to be a nice day :P

9:30 pm have to hang it up in Salina, KS only 3 hrs from home. The wind was terrible all the way from Limon. It is now spitting snow and it is cold. Good night!!

The ride from Limon, CO to Salina, KS was probably the worse ride I have ever had to endure. You know it was bad if I stopped 186 miles from home. There were high wind warnings and they were suggesting that high profile vehicles stay off the interstate, but the road was not closed and I don't consider myself a high profile vehicle, so I went. Constant 40mph winds from the north with gusts to 60 plus are real killers. I would be riding along leaning into the 40 mph winds at what felt like a 45 degree angle, when the 60mph gust would hit me and almost pull my head off. Seriously sometimes the wind would get inside my helmet and pull so hard that it was all I could do to stay on the bike. My head felt like a kite blowing in the wind. It just wore me out. Finally it seemed like the wind was getting worse, it was dark, I was exhausted, it was 21 degrees, I was cold, and it started to sleet :( I gave up and pulled into a motel in Salina. 9:30pm

Day 10 Friday April 15, 2011 (Salina, KS to Leawood, KS 186 miles)
9:30 left Salina on a beautiful sunshiny day for a beautiful ride home.

12:00 Arrive home Leawood, KS bike odometer reads 71633 miles (more later)
Pulling into home, still with every piece of clothing I had on
Pulling into home, still with every piece of clothing I had on
The final odometer reading  TOTAL MILES FOR THE TRIP 5,496 MILES!!!
The final odometer reading TOTAL MILES FOR THE TRIP 5,496 MILES!!!
And the best part about coming home....THE END
And the best part about coming home....THE END
THE EPILOGUE.....
May 6, 2011 I received the official notification of my successful ride across the United States, "COAST TO COAST" IN LESS THAN 50 HOURS!!!
(Double click on the image to make it big enough to read)
THE OFFICIAL IRON BUTT CERTIFICATE
THE OFFICIAL IRON BUTT CERTIFICATE
AND THE OFFICIAL 50CC IRON BUTT PIN
AND THE OFFICIAL 50CC IRON BUTT PIN
THE OFFICIAL IRON BUTT DECAL
THE OFFICIAL IRON BUTT DECAL
Miles, days and hours: (My anal statistics)
It was 1211 miles from Leawood, KS to the beginning of the 50CC in Jacksonville Beach, FL
I left Leawood, KS on April 6, 2011 at 10:00 am
I started the 50 CC on April 9, 2011 at 5:44:00 EDT from the Gate filling station at 2520 South 3rd, Jacksonville Beach, FL.
I finished the 50 CC on April 10, 2011 at 23:36:56 PDT at Midway Shell, 3425 Midway Dr, San Diego, CA.
The first day I rode 1188 miles in 17 hrs and 11 minutes for a moving average of 69.138 mph.
The second day I rode 1264 miles in 17 hrs and 51 minutes for a moving average of 70:733 mph.
My total time Coast to Coast was 43:52:00.
My total mileage Coast to Coast was 2452 miles.
The cost of my gas Coast to Coast was $256.05.
I averaged 35.72 miles per gallon. This is at least 6 miles per gallon less than I get under normal riding conditions. I usually get 40 to 42 mpg.
I averaged 55.9 mph from Coast to Coast. This includes gas stops and sleep.
I stopped 15 times for gas Coast to Coast.
The highest price I paid for gas on the 50 CC and the entire trip was in Ocotillo, CA on April 10, 2011 was $4.399 per gallon
The lowest price I paid for gas on the 50 CC ride and the entire trip was in Marana, AZ on April 10, 2011 was $3.419 per gallon.
As a point of reference, I filled up on April 6, 2011 in Kansas City, MO the day before I left for $3.399 a gallon. I filled after I returned in Kansas City on April 18, 2011 for $3.699 per gallon.
I left on April 6, 2011 and returned on April 15, 2011 for a total of 10 days. (I spent 2 days snowed in Silverthorne, CO. I enjoyed a very nice evening with Melissa and her girl friends in Red Rock Spa in Irving, UT. The reason I took the northern route home and the reason I got snowed in was to take Melissa some Easter Candy!)
I rode 1833 miles from the end of the 50 CC in San Diego, CA back to Leawood, KS
The total mileage for the trip was 5496 miles. My total gas cost was $595.90. I averaged 37.377 miles per gallon for the entire trip.

I hope you have enjoyed my "Iron Butt" ramblings. I am very proud of my accomplishment and it has been fun to share with you. Roger 4/7/11

Saddle Sore 1000 ....1000 miles in 24 hours 3 times
Bun Burner 1500 ....1500 miles in 36 hours
Bun Burner Gold....1500 miles in 24 hours
Saddle Sore 2000...2000 miles in 2 days
Saddle Sore Gold....2000 miles in 36 hours
50 CC....Coast to Coast in less than 50 hours.
Attachments
Good food is important on a trip like this
Good food is important on a trip like this
2009 Honda Gold Wing  66163 miles
2009 Honda Gold Wing 66163 miles
Starting mileage in Kansas City 4/6/2011
Starting mileage in Kansas City 4/6/2011
Gate Fuel, 2520 South 3rd St, Jacksonville Beach, FL  05:44:00 EDT the START Saturday April 9, 2011
Gate Fuel, 2520 South 3rd St, Jacksonville Beach, FL 05:44:00 EDT the START Saturday April 9, 2011
Bike odometer at the beginning of the 50CC in Jacksonville Beach, FL  67,348 miles
Bike odometer at the beginning of the 50CC in Jacksonville Beach, FL 67,348 miles
The nice little 1 gallon gas can Bob Diehl bought me
The nice little 1 gallon gas can Bob Diehl bought me
One of the outstanding views in Ivins, Ut
One of the outstanding views in Ivins, Ut
Melissa definitely found a way to keep her from missing me!!
Melissa definitely found a way to keep her from missing me!!
Melissa went canyoneering and repelling... Maybe I should have been worrying about HER!!
Melissa went canyoneering and repelling... Maybe I should have been worrying about HER!!
ukrmh

Post by ukrmh »

Roger and Missy
I will keep an eye on your posts! Ride safely and have fun! Take lots of pictures. See you in a couple of weeks.
I don't think I could do what you are attempting........
Bob Hagen
shovelmike

Post by shovelmike »

I enjoyed your posts, Roger, be careful out there, we'll see you soon!
JerryM100

Post by JerryM100 »

Congrats Roger!!! Awesome accomplishment! How does your Iron Butt feel now???!! Can't wait to read your ride report!

Jerry
Jerry M
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
ImageImageImage
Slink

Post by Slink »

I'm envious Roger wish I was there with you.
Be careful have fun and be safe, see ya when your back
Slink
shoresr

Post by shoresr »

At our KC Romeo lunch today in Pleasant Hill, MO, one of my nicest friends said "Roger, I read all that stuff you wrote, and you did finish the ride from Coast to Coast in less than 50 hours, didn't you? The answer to that question is yes. I rode 2,452 miles Coast to Coast in 43:52:00.
shoresr

Post by shoresr »

It is now official I have received my IBA certificate and I have completed my ride report.
Thanks for you interest and support.
Roger
Slink

Post by Slink »

Great accomplishment Roger and it was mostly fun too
Manfred