ROMEO RENDEVOUS

A place to list other riding events. Anyone is welcome to announce any kind of group ride - whether it is for just a handful of riders or for a major event.
bucky

ROMEO RENDEVOUS

Post by bucky »

:mrgreen: Winter has really set in, so here is something to think (dream) about.

March 20th is the first day of spring and time for the ROMEO'S to start there riding season.

This year the ROMEO SPRING RENDEVOUS will be at Eureka Springs Arkansas on March 22nd and 23rd. With Wednesday being the offical day of course. It is most fun if you can show up tuesday afternoon and have a meet and greet. The motel has a large meeting room if the weather is not so good. They also have a nice outdoor fire pit with wood we can use. Wednesday we can all go out and explore the nice roads in the area. We can all meet back at the fire pit at 6pm and go to supper. After supper we all meet back at the Fire Pit or Meeting Room for some fun stuff.

A lot of you ROMEO'S have some old bikes. I know there is some nice Gold Wings and 750 Hondas in the KC area. Some nice old BMWs in the Wichita area, and a lot of nice stuff in other areas.

So this year we would like for you to shine them up and ride them to the Rendevous. Park them in front of the Fire Pit after supper. We will all look at them and vote on a peoples choice. We have a special award for the best one.

Call and make your reservations now. Tell them you are with the ROMEO. We get a discount $42.00.
Americas Best Value Inn
2044 east Van Buren
Eureka Spgs ,AR 479-363-6450

Here is the link to all the Romeo Rides this week:
http://tinyurl.com/Romeo-Rides-This-Week
TomK

Re: ROMEO RENDEVOUS

Post by TomK »

Way to come through for us Bucky! Just when we need something to look forward to other than the next snow.
shovelmike

Post by shovelmike »

The wife and I are really looking forward to this, I made my reservation. The guy I talked to was very excited as well and said he has been swamped with calls from Romeos. This ought to be a really fun get together.
Parkville Rider

Post by Parkville Rider »

Just made reservations and we too are looking forward to the Rendezvous. Hope Mother Nature gives us some good weather!
Gary D.
a.k.a. Romeo Map Genie
Parkville MO
2014 BMW K1600GT
arkyleo

Post by arkyleo »

Can't believe you didn't pick a flea bag motel (just kidding Bucky) . This one looks really nice and I have made my res. already. The fire pit will be just like camping, only better. :D Leo
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT-LTD Red
2024 Triumph Speed 400 Blue
Ken Krumm

Post by Ken Krumm »

Sounds great! I will bring the Manhattan contingent. Hopefully we can find it. None of us have a GPS!! :D
Ken Krumm - Manhattan, KS
2016 BMW R1200GSA
2004 BMW R1150GS
2004 Ducati ST3
1996 BMW R1100RT
1996 BMW K1100LT
1974 Norton 850 Commando
1969 BSA 441 Victor Special
1959 BMW R50
TomK

Post by TomK »

FWIW, I had a reservation and had to cancel. This afternoon late I called the motel to see if they have any rooms left, and the still have a couple. So, if anyone is thinking they won't be able to stay where the group is, give the motel a call. Also, there are lots of motels near where the larger group is staying and it won't be any problem at all to tie in with group activities such as they are. Come on down to the Spring Rendevous, it's a good time and Bucky does a lot of work to make it fun. Hope to see everyone there.

tom k
JerryM100

Post by JerryM100 »

Sorry we will miss you, Tom. I was looking forward to catching up with you.

Jerry
Jerry M
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
ImageImageImage
Klem

Post by Klem »

You did good Bucky, Thanks for doing this for us. Next time do a little better job on the temp home.
Motorcycles are like Potato chips One is never enough
TomK

Post by TomK »

Great Rendevous Bucky. You done good!

Don, I thought fat would keep us warm! What went wrong? We will need to come up with a better plan.

Hope Shannon made it home still in a thawed state.

Tom K
shovelmike

Post by shovelmike »

Thanks, we had a great time: Great riding, great company, it was a much needed getaway. In spite of the little cool spell it was an excellent trip!
How's this for a fancy farm fence....found it during our exploration of the Eureka Springs area!

I believe the antique buffs refer to that decoration as a pineapple, it appears that the owner used part of an old iron bedstead to construct that gate post. Perhaps some antique experts out there will have some insights.
Last edited by shovelmike on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bucky

Post by bucky »

:mrgreen: Rendevous Summary :mrgreen:
I hope all of you made it home safely, and didn't get to cold.
Some of the facts. The first fact, AND A BIG ONE. Someone ask at the meeting. When did the ROMEO start? I said 1991. I was WRONG. I retired in March of 2001. We held the first lunch in Lost Springs Kansas in April of 2001. I had lunches in April, May, June. Richard Kurtz took over in July and spent a lot of time and thought for several years into making this go. Then Don, Jerry, Bob, and Roger came on and it has grown and grown.
There were 65 people signed up at the Rendezvous. The oldest was Walt Hoffman at 79. The youngest was Shannon O'lear. The farthest distanch was Larry Sykes, Mary Nett Mize, Rodney and Joyce Langford All from Mississippi, 450 miles. The unofficial mileage went to Roger Shores, who rode in from the Grand Canyon. Just a short ride for Roger. We were to have an old bike show but only two bikes showed up. We were going to have a peoples choice award after dinner. But one of them had mec. trouble so I awarded the trophy to Larry Leeth on his very nice 1971 BMW.
The ROMEO'S was started so we could have a place to ride and meet like minded people. It was also to help the small town merchants who are struggling to make ends meet. Well ROMEO'S you can pat yourself on the back. Americas Best Inn, which was just purchased by a local, was the only motel in Euerka Springs with a NO VACANCY sign on. Also Richard at Grandma's Beans and Cornbread got a very good start on his new venture to give his daughter a place to work.
THANK YOU ROMEO'S JOB WELL DONE

I hope all of you will look at the other ROMEO events on the schedule. The FOOLS IN APRIL CAMP OUT is very fun, and the FALL ROMEO RENDEZVOUS is a very good way to wind down the riding season.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Thank you Duane Buck
Ken Krumm

Post by Ken Krumm »

Walt, Mel and I meet up with Shannon at Moran, KS. She was doing fine stating she wasn't cold.

Great Job Bucky! Another great spring rendevous.
2016 BMW R1200GSA
2004 BMW R1150GS
2004 Ducati ST3
1996 BMW R1100RT
1996 BMW K1100LT
1974 Norton 850 Commando
1959 BMW R50
walt

Post by walt »

OK Bucky---you did good OL BUDDY---Eureka Springs was a lot dryer than Branson last year when I stayed over another day. The ride home was a little cool but what the heck I was lucky to have electrics. I've been there done that cold ride thing.

Walt
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

What a trip! Yes, Tom, thanks for asking. I was nearly thawed out by the time I got home (still only 45 degrees). I had to wear everything I had packed for the trip except my swimsuit (which hadn't been used since the hotel pool was still in winter mode). My bike might be "naked", but that means I have to pile on the clothes for sure! :roll:

It was great to see everyone at the Rendezvous and to meet some new people (new to me, anyway!). My new Ohlins spanner wrench: Best souvenir!

Thanks, Bucky, for organizing this event *and* for suggesting a great route back to Lawrence!

Shannon <3
Ken Krumm

Post by Ken Krumm »

Getting a Ohlins spanner wrench for only $10 is a great find. I ordered one for my KTM WP shock yesterday. With shipping, it cost $37.

On the issue of swimsuits....come on Shannon, it was an Econo Lodge in Arkansas. Swimming Pools at Econo Lodges in Arkansas are called Cement Ponds and they are usually (and this one was) green. Nobody uses a swimsuit in a cement pond.

As a new rider, I owe it to you to give you a little advice. By the way, I get all my advices for the older riders and with this group, thats about everyone. Watch the old guys. They've been there and done that and rarely get cold. Walt's a great example. He sleeps in his birthday suit (requires no room in the saddlebags), but rides with a Gerbling heated jacket liner (require some room unless you're wearing the liner).

In all seriousness, a Gerbing Jacket liner is worth its weight in gold. NOBODY regrets buying one. I hate getting cold. I use mine in all four seasons. You never know when you need a liner and you don't need to turn it on.
2016 BMW R1200GSA
2004 BMW R1150GS
2004 Ducati ST3
1996 BMW R1100RT
1996 BMW K1100LT
1974 Norton 850 Commando
1959 BMW R50
John Kuhn

Post by John Kuhn »

A little late but better than never.
Bucky put on a great rendezvous.
Some pix I took of rides and bikes.
Deer
Deer
Wichita bunch plus some
Wichita bunch plus some
War Eagle Mill Breakfast Tues am
War Eagle Mill Breakfast Tues am
Mt Judea
Mt Judea
Jasper Ar
Jasper Ar
Attachments
monday pm
monday pm
Mississippi Boys and Bikes
Mississippi Boys and Bikes
BMW with KLR bag??? SCANDELOUS
BMW with KLR bag??? SCANDELOUS
IMG_4332.JPG
IMG_4334.JPG
IMG_4335.JPG
IMG_4336.JPG
IMG_4337.JPG
Parkville Rider

Post by Parkville Rider »

He sleeps in his birthday suit (requires no room in the saddlebags), but rides with a Gerbling heated jacket liner (require some room unless you're wearing the liner). - I LOVE IT! OCCASIONALLY GETTING OLD CAN BE SO MUCH FUN. :lol:
Gary D.
a.k.a. Romeo Map Genie
Parkville MO
2014 BMW K1600GT