2010, mileage, bike and place, information

Moderators: Bob K., leesonthree, LongJohn

shoresr

2010, mileage, bike and place, information

Post by shoresr »

KC ROMEOs, the 2010 riding year is coming to an end. I thought it would be fun if we shared with each other our riding experiences. This is not a contest and there will be no prizes, awards and no audit. I will post the information, if you will send me, 1) approximate miles ridden Jan-Dec 2010, 2) the motorcycles you rode this on—make, model and year, 2) your first name and city, 3) highlights of your riding this year. I envision it to look something like this----

250 miles---Honda 75cc Moped----John----Bushton, KS
Top of Pikes Pike, Oakley, KS, The Hub, WWII Memorial, Salt Mine
[/size][/size]
You may not think what you have done this year is of interest to anyone, but I think you would be surprised. I am always interested to hear how far guys are riding or if they just go to Romeo lunches, the different bikes guys enjoy riding, some are new, some old, some big, some small, and most of all where did you go this year. Maybe you just went to Eskridge, KS or maybe to Alaska. Please share no matter how grand or how small everyone will enjoy. Send info to Roger, twowheels2eat@yahoo.com

409,657 MILES REPORTED SO FAR!!! 1/10/11 (10:50 am) send me more!!! I see no reason to stop. Last Report an update from 7000 miles from Bob in Olathe, KS Bucky, Lawrence, KS just turned in 37,000 miles!! Can you believe that!!! :P twowheels2eat@gmail.com KEEP THOSE MILES COMING IN, THERE IS NO REASON TO QUIT NOW 400,000??? Whow :o , why not 500,000?

MILES RIDDEN: more than previous year, but not nearly enough..2010 Ducati Monster 696..Shannon..Lawrence, KS
Hands down, the highlight for me this year was learning how to ride! I got my license, my bike, some gear, and an introduction to the ROMEOs!

3,500 miles….2003 Kawasaki Concours….Dave….Clinton, MO
Haven’t been much more than 100 miles from home this year.

4,500 miles (that's close enough)....Honda 600 and 250....Jack....Overland Park, KS
Went to a lot of Klem's lunches and some rides with another group I belong to and my annual St. Patrick's Day parade participation. Also do a lot of errand/shopping running around town on a smaller unit.

5,384 miles....BMW R1200RT....Jim G. ....Lowry City, MO.

7,000 miles....Harley 1584 cc Ultra Classic....Bob....Raymore, MO

7000 MI - 2008 BMW R1200RT,2008 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1972 Yamaha RC5 350 (maybe 20 miles!) -- Bob -- Olathe, KS
Most of my riding this year has been ROMEO lunches and breakfasts, dinner rides with Wheatland Touring Riders and weekend day trips. Gary, Roxy, Don and I rode to the ROMEO rally at Dogpatch, AR and extended our ride into Oklahoma where we visited the Gene Autry Museum.

7,519 miles....99 BMW R1100RT. 08 Kawasaki KLR 650, 81 Honda CB900C...RJ....Overland, Park, KS
Not actually being retired and having to find new empoyment early this year REALLY cut into my mileage in 2010. Lowest mileage figure since 2003. The new job is working for Firestone and there is no vacation time in the first year, and they rarely schedule two days off in a row. To compound that, the job is ONLY 4 miles from my house. I asked to be able to work FAR from home but they didn't take me serious. The KLR is new to me this year and it's been an absolute blast. I expect to ride it most of the winter and leave the BMW to rest a bit. Also sorry to say the Honda CB900C has gone to a new home.
I want to sincerely thank the "powers that be" that keep the Romeo rides organized for their hard work. Some weeks it's the only riding I get to do.
There is an Alaska trip planned for me in the future. It may be a couple years off but I'm enjoying the planning, not to mention all the Alaska stories I hear and read about.

8,250 Miles---BMW R1200 CLC---Jeff---Lenexa, KS
Top of the Rockies BMW Rally-Paonia, CO

10,000 miles.... 2001 BMW F650GS and 7600 BMW R1200GS....Tumbleweed....DONNA, TX

Safe riding and greetings from your TEXAS ROMEO buddy.

10,156 miles....2000 BMW R1100RT....Tracia T....Raytown, MO
I took a 5 1/2 week trip in July and August north through Bear Tooth Pass (twice), Yellowstone, Stanley ID, BMW National Rally in Oregon. Columbia River Gorge, Oregon coast, California coast down HWY 1 to Oceanside. Returned via Las Vegas, UT, CO, and a BMW rally in Nebraska. It was a total of 7498 miles. It took so long because I visited 2 different friends in CA and 3 sets of relatives (free lodging). I was thrilled and thankful to be able to take such a trip after my cancer treatments in March and April.

13,200 miles..'95 BMW K75RT, '05 BMW F650GS, '02 Triumph Bonneville, BeemerBill, Wichita, KS
This is much lower than my normal (usually 20,000 +), it has just been one
of those years. I certainly plan to better that by a bunch this year. I think I'll start by doing a week long
ride around Big Bend, Texas with a couple of friends in February.....

13,800+ miles….BMW K1200LT….Gary & Mary….Parkville, MO
Chicago IL, Galena IL (MTA Rally), Romeoville IL (Yes, it does exist!), The HUB, Yellville AR Turkey Trot Festival (you had to be there to believe it!) Mena AR, The Queen Wilimena Lodge, Telimina Skyway, Broken Bow OK, Oklahoma City OK, Wichita KS.

Mary and I enjoyed two week long trips this summer plus numerous weekend rides with our friends. The first trip was to Galena IL to attend the MTA Rally (Motorcycle Touring Association). It was a great ride as we rode a loop that included a visit with a friend who lives near Chicago and a small town called Romeoville. We just had to stop there but were unable to find any T-shirts or souvenirs with the town's name. The trip was great with just a little rain while we were off the road in Chicago. The rally was enjoyable and scenery very unusual as we didn't know there were ski resorts on the Mississippi River. We enjoyed the Gathering which was smaller than past years. We were told approximately 90 attended this year's event. It was a pleasant area to ride with nice curves and green scenery. There was some great history behind the town and surrounding area which we enjoyed.

Our second trip started with a weekend event called Colorama which was hosted by the GWTA Lake Country Riders at the Hub Motorcycle Resort. It is located a few miles south of Harrison Arkansas in the heart of great motorcycle roads. This was an almost perfect weekend of riding and after the event we headed south and west for some more riding adventures. We had decided to spend some time enjoying the Arkansas "mountains" surrounding Mena AR, the Telimina Skyway, and spending some time at the Queen Wilimena Lodge. It is a great place to stay and the food and desserts there are worth the trip.

Too soon it was time to leave the Queen and head west and south towards our next stop, Broken Bow OK. As we got close to the town itself, we went by the State Park which is north of town, so we decided to check it out. We found a beautiful resort on the banks of the Broken Bow Lake with low off season rates on their rooms, so after a trip to town for some snacks and dinner at a local restaurant, Stevens Gap where we enjoyed some great catfish. It was then time to enjoy the scenery and accommodations of the lodge for the night. Before night fell, we took a long walk along the shore line and picked up some unusual rocks as the water level was low due repairs being made on the corp. of engineer dam. It was very peaceful and a great way to wind down from an exciting day riding on the Telimina Skyway. After a great night's sleep and breakfast at the resort, we loaded up and headed north to Oklahoma City.

As we left the Broken Bow area, the scenery changed from tall pines to farm country as we traveled along back roads towards Oklahoma City. Our plans were to arrive at our dear friends Gary & Pam whom we had not seen for several years. We followed Jill's instructions (our Garmin tour guide) and we zig-zagged our way north. For some reason she decided to take us farther north than planned so we could enjoy some of old route 66 along the way. With Jill, although you're never lost, you may sometimes take a longer scenic route; but on a motorcycle, who cares? As the sun was setting in the west, we pulled into Gary & Pam's house which is located in Edmond OK, a suburb of Oklahoma City. They have a beautiful home and welcomed us with open arms and great hospitality. They are also motorcycle enthusiasts from past BMW events and wonderful friends. The next day they gave us a great tour of the state capitol and Oklahoma museum of history. The state building complex was very impressive. We really enjoyed our visit with Gary and Pam and appreciated the time spent with them. But as always, good times must end as we headed north on the last leg of our week's vacation towards Wichita KS.

The weather for all of our travels was almost perfect with hardly any wind and comfortable temperatures. We traveled north on I-35 until we neared the Kansas Turnpike where we exited on a side highway taking us into Wichita from the south almost parallel with the turnpike. As we arrived, we found a motel for the night and checked in a little early. It gave us time to unpack for the last time and take a little walk around the area which was next to the Wichita hospital. It was a good place to stay and not many customers so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. Soon it was time to mount up and head for our evening's dinner and entertainment at the Diamond W Wrangler's Chuckwagon supper and music show. They are tops in our book singing the old cowboy tunes of yesteryear as well as their own compositions with much bravado and some funny stories thrown in to keep things lively and enjoyable. After the program we bought their latest CD and headed back to our motel room to spend the last night on the road. After a restful sleep we headed for home the next day and ended an almost 2000 mile adventure we won't soon forget. We couldn't resist stopping at Council Grove KS for brunch along with several other motorcycle riders probably coming from the monthly Cassidy ride. Anyway it was a great trip with lots of new memories and we can't wait for the next one which we'll start planning over the winter months when riding may not be an option.
Gary and Mary at the HUB
Gary and Mary at the HUB

14,000 miles....1995 Kawasaki Voyager....Spike....Shawnee, KS

I have ridden right at 14,000 miles, most of them on my 95 Voyager. I have started riding my 2003 Voyager the last couple of weeks along with my 2008 Yamaha XT-250 Dual Sport that I hope to be able to log some Colorado miles on next summer. I can't reach the ground with my feet on any bigger bikes plus the fact that it weighs less than 300# and if I lay it down on mountain trails and have to pick it up to I'm still able to do that. It got a little tricky to kick start my old XR's on some hillsides. A starter button works much better.

Hi again!
I didn't tell you about the longer rides I took this year. I went to Sturgis with my daughter, son-in-law, grandson and his wife for a week of riding with family. Two weeks later I went to a BMW Rally and rode there with Leland Prothe and two other BMW riders, along with a recent Romeo member, Ron Russell, who rode a Gold Wing. The rally was held at Red Lodge Montana. There is a lot of scenic riding there. I also received the "Oldest Rider" award out of 150 attendees. I guess there is an occasional benefit of being old. When riding back home we took took the "Scenic Routes" through Western and Southern Colorado. It was nine days of great riding and were only sprinkled on once. On the way back home Ron took about 200 pictures, many of them while riding down the road. Gold Wings must not need much driver input. I hope to attend the 2011 rally, also and take a different route back.....Spike

14,000 miles....1996 Honda Gold Wing....Mike....Shawnee, KS
Rode about 14,000 miles this year: about 3,000 on the old '82 Goldwing, and 11,000 (since June) on the "new" '96 Goldwing. Made a trip to Colorado with my son and 3 of his buddies. Quite an experience, in the mountains, with sheer drop-offs on one side and a wall on the other. I assume there were drop-offs, I sure wasn't looking, but it APPEARED as much out of the corner of my eye. You need to develop tunnel vision very quickly! Rode up to the top of Mount Evans, highest paved road in North America, some 14,000+ feet. Very scary!!! But, kind of like the boot camp in the service, wouldn't have missed for anything, wouldn't do it again for anything! I survived once, so why press your luck. A big, heavy, new to me, Goldwing, in the mountains, I don't know about that. A 400 pound dual sport, maybe a better idea! You know, something you can pick up, and won't cost a fortune to fix when you have gotten into a situation where you HAD to pick it up. Some of the towns we visited seem to have no level streets, they're all hill and dale, so there were a couple of times just getting the GW upright from the kickstand was a chore.
It was my first long ride on a motorcycle, so I didn't know if the Ole buns would be up to it, but they were (pretty much). It was a fun (and scary) adventure, and going with my son made it even better. We rode almost 2900 miles on the trip, 3 Harley's, 1 Yamaha, and my Goldwing. With my raggin' on the Harley's (and my son was on one), guess who had a problem- you guessed it, me and the Goldwing. But, in less than 2 hours, on the side of the road, I replaced the fuel pump (which is cleverly placed in the gas tank), and back in the fray! Good times-Good times! The Harley boys had a good laugh, but were also pretty impressed with the quick repair. All in all, a very good trip!.... Mike

14,693 miles....6825 mi Yamaha Stratoliner and 7865 mi Honda Gold Wing....Bill B....Leawood, KS
Highlights included, totaling my Stratoliner in May when a Deer ran into the side of me, I didn’t go over, a pure miracle, as the deer was killed, bought the bike back, had it repaired , inspected, & licensed. Over 80% of years mileage came AD ( after the Deer) Longest trip was only about 900 miles, lots of local riding, a great riding year for me even though I didn’t get any long trips. Hope to do Florida to Maine next year…

15,500 miles....2007 BMW R1200rt....Terry....Columbia, MO
Herman, Kansas state Rally, Redmond Rally, Return to Shiloh, Potosi Falling Leaf, & last but least Hot Springs Ark. Yes I was on the Blue RT In front of Lee Hunt when he took his nap!! Terry G.

15,800 miles....2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa 7.8K, 2006 Burgman 650 Scooter 6.5K, 1993 BMW K75 1.5K....Dennis, Lecompton, KS

Last June I rode the Sherpa to Berks Part Virginia For FSSNOC lunch. Then to Maggie Valley in North Carolina. From there rode to Deals Gap and road up and back on Tail of the Dragon. That ride was 2500 miles in 8 days. Then rode with Bucky to Gates OK in Oct that was 1200 miles for another FSSNOC Lunch. I've rode it to several ROMEO lunches and trips around Topeka, Lawrence and KC area. it had 280 miles when I bought it last year. 2006 650 Burgman Scooter 6500 miles. Went to Dallas TX on one trip. Went to Pipe creek TX, Arkansas twice and various ROMEO Lunches. 1993 BMW K75 1500 miles mostly ROMEO lunches and trips to town.

17,000 + miles,....2004 Honda Gold Wing....Big Bad John....Wichita, KS
Howdy all!
2010 has been a good year. 17,100+ miles on the 2004 Goldwing 1800.
To wet your appetite I am adding a picture from the first trip of the year.
2/4 to 18/2010 Puerto Vallarta Mex.
5/4/10 SAC Air Museum Ashland Nebbaska. Quite the display of airplanes.
5/7/10 Americus Ks Romeo leaders meet.
5/8/10 to 6/8/10 Florida trip. Space shuttle, surfing, Key West, Everglades, Naples, Ft. Meyers, swimming in the hot springs in North West Fla.
8/20/10 to 9/14/10 Yellowstone Nat Pk Wy, Grand Tetons Nat Pk Wy, Flamming George dam Ut, Pueblo Co.
This is way too close to see Buffalo on a bike
This is way too close to see Buffalo on a bike
John, Buffalo.JPG (56.9 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
MMM! Beach PVT, MEX.
MMM! Beach PVT, MEX.
Beach.JPG (27.5 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
Space Shuttle Altantis
Space Shuttle Altantis
Space Shuttle Atlantis.jpg (14.43 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
17,000 plus miles....1999 Honda Valkyrie....Hoser....Auburn, KS
I went to all the romeo rides I could manage and Fully retired the 1st of May. I spent a week in Wisconsin in June attending the yearly ralley of the Valkyrie Owners Association international and enjoyed the riding along the Miss. River and foothills from La Cross on north.
In July I went to Belle Air MI. and attended the VRCC ralley and rode upper and western shores, with a trip across the big mac into and through the upper portion to Saulte St Marie and to the west to minnesota on my way home. I had around 61K on my odo in the spring and have 78K on it now. Planning on Dixie to NC next year. Hoser
Missour River at White Cloud
Missour River at White Cloud
Ride Inn Motel
Ride Inn Motel
Old Skate Rink, Midway, IA
Old Skate Rink, Midway, IA
17,516 miles....1999 BMW K1200LT....Leland....Paola, KS
I rode to a lot of the ROMEO lunches early. In June I went to the Iowa Rally. My wife, Slina didn't go as she had her other (left) shoulder replaced in March and didn't want to take a chance and mess things up as she wanted to go the BMW Nationalin Redmond, OR. Early on we had decided that we wanted to ride the "Redmond 1000". That is to ride 1,000 miles in a 24 hour period. So on Friday July 9th we left home at 6 AM and headed across Kansas. The weather couldn't have been anybetter, never got out of the 80's. We rode to Brush, CO and got a room for the night. We took a real slow trip on up to Cheyenne, WY as that is where were going to ride the Redmond 1,000 from. Went to bed early only to wake up at
12:45 AM Sunday and couldn't go back to sleep. We decided we would just leave and ride the ride. We left Cheyenne
at 2:15 AM. It was kind of cold so we put our rain pants on for leg protection and plugged in the electric jackets and away
we went. It got colder just west of Laramie, WY going down the mountains-in the lower 40's. It stayed cool most of the
morning until about noon and we started taking cold weather riding gear off. A couple of rain showers skirted around us
in the middle of Wyoming. It got hot after we got to the Oregon border, somewhere around 90 to 95 degrees all the way
to Redmond by way of John Day. We got to the motel in Redmond around 6 PM after sixteen hours and 1,065
miles later. We were tired but were all pumped up because we had done an Iron Butt Ride!
[attachment=8]Leland.jpg[/attachment]
I was the oldest one to ride
the Redmond 1,000. There was over a hundred on the ride coming from three different directions. We spent the next week
working at the rally as Go-fers working our butts off as we have for several years. It is a big family reunion of sorts as
you get to see old friends and make new ones. We have been to every National since 1975. Lots of fun! Several
people from the KC BMW Club helped us and Lee & Verna Hunt with Go-Fer duties. Always glad for good help!

On Sunday after the rally we headed up north through Canada. Spent the first night in Hope, British Columbia. The next
night we were in Smithers, BC. On Tuesday we headed out with a couple that we had met at the motel. We rode with
them until they turned and headed to the mainland of Alaska. We went west and on to Hyder, Alaska. We toured the
town, not a very big place. Went to the Glacier Inn Bar & Grill where Slina got "Hyderized". Headed on back down
through Canada. We hadn't been riding about two hours when I hit the brakes when a black bear came up out of the
ditch right in front of me. We only missed it by about two feet! Slina said that she could see its eye and it looked about
as frightened as we were. We rode on to Prince George, BC for the night. The next day rode through Jasper and Banff National parks. Very pretty country through there. Stayed at Lethbridge, Alberta Canada that night. The next night we were just north of Salt Lake City. Went on to Paonia, CO to the Top of the Rockies Rally and relaxed a couple of days. We left
there on Sunday AM and rode home with Paul Bigler and Ruth Hobbs. Again the trip across Kansas was a real treat as
the weather was in the 80's most of the way. It got around 92 by the time we got home a little after noon on Monday.
It was a very good and fun trip.. We rode 6,500 miles and were gone 18 days and no rain!!

In August with six other riders I went to the Beartooth Rally near Red Lodge, MT. We took a couple of days to get there
by going through Rocky Mountain National Park. The rally is held at a Lions camp and they have cabins that have bunks
that sleep eight. We all shared a cabin. We rode over the Chief Joseph Highway to Cooke City, MT and up over the Beartooth highway. The switchbacks there are very fun to ride. We headed on down the mountain back to the camp ground .
Rode a couple of times into Red Lodge. We went down to Cody after the awards on Sat. night and got rooms.
We headed home Sunday. I arrived home a little afternoon on Monday. The trip was around 3,800 miles and again no
rain. On the trip was Dan Ellerman, Jim Garrison, Spike, Ron Russell, Bernie Grossman, Terry Nygaard and myself. We
are planning on a return trip in 2011.

I did not ride any after the trip to Red Lodge as I was busy mowing, getting equipment ready and cleaning up the
pecan orchard for the harvest. We have been very busy ever since with harvesting, cleaning and cracking, selling our
pecans. Oh well, there is always next year and the next.

18,836 miles....Numerous BMW's, last one still running 1100RT!....Lee....Olathe, KS
Miles 18,836::: This was NOT a good year for me. Most years I do 20,000+. But 2010, I had a get off on my GS this spring that did a little work on my ribs plus a little on the bike. A ill son who pasted away. Then I totaled my 1200RT I had for 2 1/2+ months this fall. Oh yes, that broke my leg. So I haven't been riding since then, can't shift with this boot on, I have tried. Verna & I did make it to MOA International Rally in Redmond OR. I think Walt and I made the BMW Georgia Mountain Rally, we usually do. That was the big-es. It's a good thing I have my old 1100RT with 150,000 on it I mite want to ride somewhere sometime. This is it at the start off a Iron Butt ride in Denver.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. ...Lee
Lee starting an IRON BUTT
Lee starting an IRON BUTT
Lee Hunt.jpg (4.66 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
20,000 plus miles....2006 Yamaha Ultra-star 1683cc....Wally....Lone Jack, Mo
For past 3 years I have made 2 round trips to California. I depart early May to rendezvous with
brother from Northern Ca at younger brothers home in Visalia. We return to Missouri (of course
riding our bikes) and brother Ralph spends the summer at my home. We went on road trips to
Florida, Illinois, Iowa, and various trips in Kansas and Missouri. In early Aug we head for
Sturgis South Dakota and spend approx 5 days before heading on to Calif to escort Ralph back
home to Mckinleyvillle Ca (approx 80 miles from Oregon border). I return to Missouri in
mid/late August. I purchased my roadstar in May 2007 (had 6,000 miles on it). My odometer now
reads 65,000 miles. This bike replaced the one that was destroyed in the E-F5 tornado in
Greensburg Ks on 4 May 2007. Hopefully if health continues I will be headed out in early May 2011.
If your looking to go on a road trip then, please join me
fairing 029.jpg
25,000 miles….2007 Harley Davidson FATBOY….Danny….Lawrence, KS
This was a lot of ROMEO rides and 2 overnight trips: One to Michigan and the other to Arkansas and Oklahoma.

32,163 miles....2009 Honda Gold Wing....Roger....Leawood, KS
Three Sisters, Fredericksburg, TX, Luckenbach, Tx, GWRRA HQ, Phoenix, AZ, Grand Canyon, Iron Butt SS2000 Gold, Cosmosphere and Salt Mine, Hutchinson, Richmond, IN, Pioneer Village, Minden, Hub, Branson, Wing Ding, Des Moines, Pikes Peak, Mt Evans, Arbor Day Foundation, Nebraska City, Amana Colonies, Mt Rushmore, Sturgis. Many great trips. I finished the year with a trip to see the "LIGHT PARADE" at Silver Dollar City, 12/29/10
link to videos, click on pic to view video http://picasaweb.google.com/twowheels2e ... directlink
"Light Parade" Silver Dollar City 12/29/2010
"Light Parade" Silver Dollar City 12/29/2010
32,164 miles....BMW...Bob....Spring Hill, KS
This year I rode over 32000 miles which is about average for me. It started with a cold trip to Florida for Bike week in late Feb.

Ken left Manhattan to meet me in Spring Hill about 7 AM on Sunday Feb 27, it was 19 degrees. When he got to my house, it warmed up to a balmy 24. We headed south to Fort Smith to get to some warmer air. Thank God for electric heat.
The entire week was really cold; we went to some of our favorite places. The Golden Lion in Flagler Beach has the best fish sandwiches.
[attachment=7]southwest 2010 002.JPG[/attachment]
We go to Daytona Bike Week for the races, the flat track races are our favorite but this year it was in the low 40s at the track. So we missed some of them. The road races, which we usually never miss, are so screwed up now with the DMG group who manages the AMA road races so we skipped all of them. So it was a disappointing experience.
We road to St. Augustine and did some site seeing. We went for a nice ride through the center of Florida in the horse country with some friends from Daytona. There are accually some curves and hills in Florida, you just have to look for them.
One of the highlights of the trip was the usual stop at the Barber Motorsport Park in Birmingham on the way home.
There are classic bikes every which way you turn. If you have not been there, it is worth a trip by itself. They even had a bike manufactured in Kansas in 1909.

The best bikes (for me) were the Britton and the actual Ducati that Mike Hailwood road at the Isle of Man. I have seen the Britton race and it was fantastic. Only 10 were made and 2 were destroyed in crashes. This bike is number 7. If you don’t know who Mike Hailwood was, he won 17 races at the Isle of Man and raced Daytona and other short circuits. He was truly “world class” before being killed with his 8 year old daughter by being T-boned by a bread truck early one Sunday morning in London.
[attachment=6]southwest 2010 011.JPG[/attachment]
The trip was generally good but cold. We attended the breakfast meet of the North East Florida BMW club which allowed me to renew some old friendships which was neat. When we lived in Florida, I belonged to both this club and the Daytona club. The racing was disappointing, but we had a good time and road about 3800 miles.
Sometimes the best rides are the ones least planned. Ken Krum, from Manhattan and I departed on Saturday, April 24th with one goal; to attend the AMA Flat Track Race at Prescott Valley, AZ on May 1st. On our way to Prescott Valley, we decided we wanted to visit southern Utah’s highways 95, 24 and 12 (Glen Canyon, Grand Staircase, Bryce Canyon, Zion) before visiting Southern Arizona. We rode up the Mokee Dugway (AHH Southern Utah) Went to Muly Point on a fine sand road which is great for the GS.
[attachment=5]southwest 2010 018.JPG[/attachment]
We visited all the Southern Utah locations, but we also wandered off into Nevada to the Extraterrestrial Highway, stopping in Rachel for an Alien Burger; an extended stay in Beatty, Nevada to wait out 70 MPH winds; a drive through Death Valley, California to visit the lowest elevation in the US; a stop at the Las Vegas BMW dealer to mend an ailing clutch switch on my bike; a day in Lake Havasu, AZ to see the London Bridge; and a stop at the Phoenix BMW dealer for a new rear tire. All locations were unplanned. Each day we decided where we wanted to go and at the end of the day, where to stay.
The AMA Flat Track race by the way turned out great! For the first time in history of the sport, the race was won by an Italian manufacturer, and not by an XR 750 Harley Davidson. The surprise winner was one of last year Harley wrecking crew riders, Joe Kopp on a Ducati. BMW was also represented with a lesser known rider using an F800 motor. Although he made the main event, he suffered transmission problems on the start. Also represented on the grid were Kawasaki, Suzuki and Triumph. But it was Joe Kopp’s win that made history, since Harley has dominated every race in the twin’s class since 1988. Rich King won on a Honda but prior to that Rickey Gram and Bubba dominated on the Hondas.

The next morning, we took the straightest route back home to include crossing the Continental Divide east of Gallop, NM on Interstate 40 during a snow storm in 35 degree weather. After several delays due to serious accidents caused by the weather, we slowly made our way out of the mountains in crawling traffic down to Albuquerque for the night. The weather was bad enough for one unfortunately rider to abandon a Moto Guzzi “Norge” on the side of interstate in four inches of snow. The trip was about 4000 miles and was back to some of my favorite places.

After several shorter trips, I traded bikes in late June and in a couple of weeks I just had to test it out. So Walt Hoffman and I took off for the North West. After passing WY, we rode Bear Tooth Pass, went through Yellowstone and on into the Craters of the Moon Park where we met a BMW rider from Fargo who is a Geologist and he gave us an informative tour.
We then continued on to Oregon and attended the BMW National Rally. Had a great time. Road back through Utah, which is my favorite State in which to ride. Walt took this picture, I don’t know why.
[attachment=4]Picture 066.jpg[/attachment]
I wanted to do the North East which I usually do each year also, but Judi had back surgery and I wanted to take care of her. So the rest of my riding was mostly day trips. Looking forward to next years rides.

33,340 miles....2009 Honda Gold Wing GL1800....Ed. J. ....Gardner, KS
Phoenix-Grand Canyon, Ark- Texarkana, Tx - OK,
Canon City, Colo - Cheyenne, Wy - Olympia, Wa - San Francisco,
Oklohama City, Las Vegas - Los Angeles, Colby, Ks, Lots of Romeo Rides

[attachment=3]100_0186.JPG[/attachment][attachment=2]Forty2Phoenix 082.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]DSC00009.JPG[/attachment]

37,000 miles, 7K VFR, 13K Sportster, 7K Gold Wing, 4K 450 Honda, 7K KLR,.... BUCKY....Lawrence, KS
Roger........Here is a short account of my rides, and mileage for 2010.
I will just tell the long rides. I had many short rides, to everywhere man.
In May I rode the Sportster to The mile dirt Track races at Prescott Vally Arizona. June rode the VFR to the BMW Rally At Crain Mo. Rode the Gold Wing to the Mile dirt track races in Springfield Ill. Rode the VFR to the BMW Rally in Morrilton Ark. About forgot I started the year off with riding the sportster to the Spring ROMEO Rendevors in Branson Mo. July rode the KLR to the BMW Rally in Colorado, and on down to New Mex. Aigust rode the old 450Honda to the BMW Rally in Franklin Neb. Another about forgot. Rode the Sportster to the BMW Rally in June at the Amana Col. in Iowa. Sept rode the VFR to the BMW Rally in New Mex. and up thru Colorado. October rode the Gold Wing to the Falling Leaf Rally in Mo. Also rode the KLR to a FSSNC Rally in the panhandle of OK. I had a great time this year.
Bucky

CONGRATULATIONS TO BUCKY, LAWRENCE, KS FOR TURNING IN THE MOST ROMEO MILES FOR 2010!!!
Attachments
"We made it!!!  The 1000 mile Redmond IRON BUTT RIDE!"
"We made it!!! The 1000 mile Redmond IRON BUTT RIDE!"
Bob D. and Ken K.
Bob D. and Ken K.
southwest 2010 011.JPG
southwest 2010 018.JPG
Picture 066.jpg
Are you sure this is the way to Phoenix???
Are you sure this is the way to Phoenix???
Grand Canyon
Grand Canyon
Janice & Ed at Roxanne's last week
Janice & Ed at Roxanne's last week
shoresr

Re: 2010, mileage, bike and place, information

Post by shoresr »

I think there is something funny here :shock: Bob D just updated his mileage 32,164 for the year and it is 1 MILE more than me ;) ???

I have really enjoyed logging your mileage and stories. By the looks of the number of people who have looked at the page, it appears that I am not the only person that has enjoyed reading them. If you haven't turned in your mileage and/or stories and would like to I will continue posting for a while. You are a great group of guys and I am glad to know you. Have a great New Year :P Roger
Parkville Rider

Post by Parkville Rider »

1 MILE more than me???
That's what happens for insisting Goldwings be in the front of a group picture of an all brands group! :lol: :lol: Gary D
Gary D.
a.k.a. Romeo Map Genie
Parkville MO
2014 BMW K1600GT
DennisG

Post by DennisG »

Approx. 15800 miles for 2010. 2000 Kaw 250 Super Sherpa 7800 miles. Last June I road it to Berks Part Virginia For FSSNOC lunch. Then to Maggie Valley in North Carolina. From there rode to Deals Gap and road up and back on Tail of the Dragon. That ride was 2500 miles in 8 days. Then Road with Bucky to Gates OK in Oct that was 1200 miles for another FSSNOC Lunch. I've rode it to several ROMEO lunches and trips around Topeka, Lawrence and KC area. it had 280 miles when I bought it last year. 2006 650 Burgman Scooter 6500 miles. Went to Dallas TX on one trip. Went to Pipe creek TX, Arkansas twice and verious ROMEO Lunches. 1993 BMW K75 1500 miles mostly ROMEO lunches and trips to town. Dennis Lecompton KS
BeemerBill

Post by BeemerBill »

13,200 miles for me in 2010. Which is much lower than my normal (usually 20,000 +), it has just been one
of those years. I certainly plan to better that by a bunch this year. I think I'll start by doing a week long
ride around Big Bend, Texas with a couple of friends in February.....
'95 BMW K75 RT, '05 BMW F650GS, '02 Triumph Bonneville.....
BeemerBill
Two-Lane Blacktop isn't a Highway---It's an Attitude
shoresr

Post by shoresr »

Okay, the 2010 Romeo Mileage Reporting is officially over. Can you believe you guys reported over 400,000
miles! :o I hope you enjoyed reading and looking at the adventures as much as I did putting them on the website. It made for some interesting reading on some of these bad winter days. Plus, I saw a few trips that I really thought were interesting and I hope I can do some day. A really big congratulation goes out to Bucky for turning in the most miles and Ed for the second most. ;) And, of course, an honorable mention to Shannon, who participated gallantly and is certainly the most modest and best looking of the group. :oops: Be sure to mark down your January 1, 2011 starting mileage and be ready to share this year’s adventures next fall. Remember this is all in fun, and most of all be safe. You guys are very special and I don’t want anything to happen to any one of you. :)