Winter alert !

The place to discuss anything under the sun.
eric

Winter alert !

Post by eric »

Don't blame me. Don started it.

Remember the great "wooly worm" debate of 09/10? You know, the debate of the merit of the old farmers tale that the severity winter could be predicted by the color and wooly-ness of the bugs we all seem to recognize as wooly worms?

This tale/myth/wisdom ranks right up there with the likes of, If you see a turtle or frog crossing the road (especially towards higher ground) expect heavy rains soon, or, A halo around the moon means rain is on the way.

Myth or factual wisdom?
Last winter the wooly worms were dead on. They ( Woolus bugus Crawlyious) were dark in color and very furry which indicates a harsh winter and last winter was one of the hardest I've seen in a long time.

If this is true, I've got bad news. While riding home the other day I spotted a wooly worm crossing the road. He was so very dark as to appear black as night and big! Lawd-a-mitey! He was large and wooly enough that I spotted him while traveling 70MPH. He (I assume he was the bull) was large enough that I think I know cowboys that would try to saddle and ride him.
Did I say big?
Will we have another hard winter? Does him crossing the road imply that there will be heavy rains?

I say we better enjoy as much Fall riding as we can because......you just never know!

Eric
Klem

Re: Winter alert !

Post by Klem »

Actually test study was ran by a qualified institution and the results did prove the folk lore true. But as I stated "test" they only did it one winter not enough to prove anything. Our summer was similar to that of "93 does anyone remember the winter that followed. Does that make us sound old or what? To compare weather patterns from the century past that we witnessed.

It is time my friends for us to once again to be on the lookout for the woolly worm, that could be forecaster that can out predict the channel 27 weather geek, or Richard's never right weather guru. We shall observe his coat for colour and thickness. This gives us a chance to double the effort put in on this study in the past.

If that doesn't work it's back to watching the Indian on the hill gathering firewood or however that works.

Don
Motorcycles are like Potato chips One is never enough