How to set up a new chapter

The place to discuss anything under the sun.
dennis913

How to set up a new chapter

Post by dennis913 »

I was a member in Kansas City for 8 years and then moved to Ventura California. One of my ride groups is shutting down. I am considering starting a ROMEO group here. I know we have no formal organization structure. Do I need permission from someone to start a group? Who would I contact? Any procedure I need to be aware of to start a chapter and to have postings on the website?
JerryM100

Re: How to set up a new chapter

Post by JerryM100 »

Dennis, I appreciate your interest in possibly setting up a new 'chapter' or ride group in your area. Many have asked over the years and very few have followed up or made it successful. It is quite easy, but then again, someone has to step up and make it happen and few can stick with it.

Here is the basic plan. Gather a few friends and invite them by email to breakfast or lunch somewhere. Ask them if they will meet you at another place next week. At the next meeting ask them if they like the idea of continuing to meet. Have them invite a few more friends. Build a list of nice places to go within a reasonable distance. If you can continue this for 4-6 weeks and get a dozen people to follow you by email let me know and I will build a new Romeo forum for you. Then you can post your rides there and email the link to your friends. Once they sign up they can subscribe to your forum and get automatic email notices complete with a map of the place to meet. It helps for you or someone to take some pics and share them so everyone feels like they are part of the group. Look at the other forums for some ideas. Email some of the other ride coordinators for some advice.

I have tried building a forum first and trying to get people to use it but it hasn't worked. You need to build a core of friends who want to 'ride to eat' over enough time to convince yourself, them, and me it is worthwhile to call yourselves a Romeo group.

I am completely open to anyone starting a Romeo group anywhere, it's just a matter of building enough momentum and camaraderie to put your messages online in your forum.

Best of luck and let me know how it goes.

Jerry M

PS. PM me if you would like to have a phone call.
Jerry M
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
ImageImageImage