North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 8/16/23

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 8/16/23

Post by Roadpounder »

Here's a place we haven't been to for about six years. I heard that they had closed so I never thought to try and schedule with them. It's supposed to be another scorcher again on Wednesday so I booked us early. This place is kind of small. Seating for 40, so we may have to filter through.

It looks like the weather is backing off a little for tomorrow, with a high of 92. The morning looks quite good around the mid 80s, and no rain. I'm looking forward to a pleasant ride. I figure that if we launch from the Rodeway Inn @ 8:30 we're in for a good day.

Time ..................9:00

Here it is.............. Neighbors Cafe
204 South Main
McPherson, Kansas 67460

(620) 241-7900

Facebook Page............https://www.facebook.com/neighborscafe

Web Page.............http://www.neighborscafe.com/

Map site..............https://tinyurl.com/wd4hsez

For the most part today was a resounding success. I got up about an hour before I needed to set out. It takes at least that long to shake the cobwebs out. Fritz was a little lazier, but when he heard me rustling around he came to and quickly cued in on what was going on. We got mounted up and headed to the Rodeway Inn. It was quite a pleasant sunny morning and Suzi was on her best behavior. We pulled in and I got in line with Terry and Dave Soper. The tire kicking soon ensued. With launch time approaching a few more pulled in, and it was kickstands up and light the fires. I was in second behind Terry, but before too long Kurt Keeler and Jerry Jellison came rocketing past me putting me putting me second to tail end Charlie. I guess Fritz must have been making goofy faces at them. Rolling into Mac Pherson my mind started racing to remember where the place is. Through the fog I was envisioning it being about a block south of US56, but I wouldn't have bet the farm on it. As it turns out when the fog cleared I was right. I picked up the line of bikes and knew that we had arrived. Some were filtering out while some more filtered in. Shade was pretty scarce for Fritz but I did find a place between the buildings to settle him in. After getting the outside shots I went inside to find I needed to wait in line to get in. Between us and the locals the place was pretty well packed. Popular place I guess. I found a place and made myself comfortable. I decided that since this was likely my main meal for the day I went heavy with steak and eggs. By this time I was hearing quite a number of compliments about the venue and the food. I must say that my meal was very good and the service was top notch. All bellies full we gradually filtered out for some more tire kicking. I managed to save a bite of my steak for Fritz which he thoroughly enjoyed. An old friend that we haven't seen for a while came. Mark Unruh rode in on his 1960s vintage BMW sidecar rig. I love to see some of these older bikes come on the rides. That's when they made real motorcycles. Well the crowd started to thin out and soon it was time to head home. Dave Soper and I joined up for the ride home. I said for the most part the day was a success. All went well until about half way home. I glanced down at my gauges and noticed the tach had dropped to 0. :o Immediately my highly trained mind went into diagnostic mode. There were normal engine noises coming from beneath me. The bike was still moving and not slowing down, and when I twisted the throttle the bike went faster. That indicated that the engine was still running, and ruled out catastrophic engine failure. :roll: Well, maybe the problem is instrumentation. Did the tach go belly up? If so I have another one at home. Another possibility is a broken tach cable. No problem I have one of those too. Considering that it was highly unlikely that my engine was about to explode I pressed on to home. I got Fritz in the house and turned my attention to the dysfunctional tach. I removed the cable from the tach and all looked well. I pulled on the inner cable and about a third of it came out. Now this is undesirable on two fronts. First getting only a third of it means the other two thirds is still in there. Second really none of it should come out pulling on the tach end of the cable. Well, without a trouble shooting guide I surmised that the problem was a broken tach cable. I went to my cable stash and found a Honda speedometer cable and a Guzzi clutch cable, but no Suzuki tach cable. :x I know I have one, so I started searching through every nook and cranny of my garage. Every cupboard. I have more cupboards than old Mother Hubbard. Through all the searching I came up empty. :x In desperation I moved the tire changer and there the cable was, hiding behind it. It must have fallen off the shelf at some point. Pop the new cable in and fire her up and the tach sprang to life. Now all is right with the world, and I can sleep tonight.
Attachments
A quick tune up and a coat of wax and she's good to go!
A quick tune up and a coat of wax and she's good to go!
Rusty.jpg (103.88 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
0102_8910.JPG
102_8897.JPG
102_8898.JPG
102_8899.JPG
102_8900.JPG
102_8901.JPG
102_8902.JPG
102_8903.JPG
102_8904.JPG
102_8905.JPG
102_8906.JPG