Welcome John English! (And a little history of the Kansas City Group)

Moderators: Bob K., leesonthree, LongJohn

JerryM100

Welcome John English! (And a little history of the Kansas City Group)

Post by JerryM100 »

A very big welcome and thanks to John English for stepping up to lead the KC group! And many heartfelt thanks to Randy and Bob for leading the group for many years! 

I don't post very often but I want to take the opportunity to say "welcome" and "thanks" to these guys. And also take the opportunity to provide some history to those who are relatively new and maybe don't know or fully appreciate the background and history of the Kansas City Romeos. Here are a few details that I can provide as the webmaster of the Romeos. By providing dates and links to original posts I hope I can encourage people to browse around in the past and enjoy all the good times and work that people have put into recording events in pictures. (And my great apologies for all the missing pics that were corrupted in a system update several years ago!)

Here is some history of the Romeos Kansas City Group

Randy and Bob K started as ride coordinators and created the north and south parts of the KC forum. They officially took over from Roger Shores on March 13th, 2018. You can read their original post here:  HAROLD'S SMOKEHOUSE, FREEMAN, MO 3/13/18 Tues

Randy's official registration date is March 4th, 2011. His first post was on December 6th, 2011. The first time he posted a ride was on April 7th, 2012 (Tues 4/10, Butler, MO). That is just over 10 years ago!

Bob K's official registration date is August 4th, 2011 and his first post was on November 13th, 2011. The first post I see where he posted some pictures was May 8th, 2012. The first reference I can find of Bob sharing duties with Roger is on October 8th, 2013 ( 10/8 WAVERLY APPLE BBQ, WAVERLY MO)

Before those guys, Roger Shores took over the KC group from me on April 18th, 2010, when I announced that we were moving to Houston, Texas. Roger was the leader of the KC Group for about 3 and a half years. Romeo Ride - Tuesday to Dearborn, MO - and farewell!

This was about 10 months after I started the Kansas City group. The first ride of the KC group was on June 30th, 2009. Here is my announcement of the first ride:  First Ride of the Kansas City Romeo Riders  (and here is a list of the first riders in our new group:  First Ride Attendees Some of those guys are still riding with us! (Hi Mike H!)

And all this was after I created the Romeo Riders website on November 16th, 2008. That is the 'started' date in the forum software that I installed as a test on that date. After a few test posts (since deleted) my first announcement to a handful of people was on Dec 22, 2008. Here is that original post that started it all: Romeo web.

(Note that I didn't start the Romeos, they had existed as an email group for 10 years or so. I created the website and these forums where more people could find and join the lunch rides. Also, the KC group was the third ride group in the new website, after the North Central and Eastern Kansas groups.)

And finally, after all that history of the KC ride coordinators, I would like to point out that John English's original registration date with the Romeos is December 22nd, 2008. He was one of the very first dozen or so people invited to join the new website - he has been here since the very beginning!! So, finally, John, it took you long enough but welcome to the role of leading the group!  :-)

JerryM
Romeos Administrator

PS. And while I am at it also please note Gary Droege's long support almost since the beginning of providing Google Maps updates every week for every group. 
Jerry M
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
ImageImageImage
JerryM100

Re: Welcome John English! (And a little history of the Kansas City Group)

Post by JerryM100 »

Just to clarify, it is my understanding that John E is taking over for Randy for the South KC group but Bob K will continue posting rides for the North KC group. I wanted to thank both for their long service but Bob is not going anywhere.
Bob K.

Re: Welcome John English! (And a little history of the Kansas City Group)

Post by Bob K. »

Love the history write up Jerry, covered my time very well! It does look as though I will not be going anywhere, anytime soon. I hope to make sure the Romeo organization stays strong as long as there are senior riders wanting to get out. Thanks for all you do, it is very much appreciated.