North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 6/22/22

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 6/22/22

Post by Roadpounder »

This heat is reeking havoc over here. I managed to get some work done, but I don't last too long after noon. With the temps flirting with triple digits I decided to keep this one a little closer. We haven't been here in about a year so I thought it would be a good one. Especially if you like strawberry rhubarb pie. ;) It looks like Suzi and I will be getting a little closer until the gas prices begin their re-entry from orbit.. Suzi can run on regular and has a smaller apatite than the Goose. I love the Goose, but she has a discriminating pallet, and a healthier apatite than Suzi. Besides, June is an expensive month for me. The state says I cant ride unless I give them money and they won't take my money unless I give the insurance company money. That will punch a hole in my stash fund. :x I wish PCH would hurry up and get here. ;)

It looks like we may get a little relief from the heat for tomorrow. The weatherman is calling for a high of 85* and partially sunny. It should be a great day for a ride to Durham. Launch time is 10:15 from the Rodeway Inn.

TIME........11:00

Here it is....Main Street Cafe
517 Douglas Ave.
Durham, Kansas 67438

620-732-2096

Facebook Page.....https://www.facebook.com/pages/Main-Str ... 1303690465

Web Page..........

Map site..........https://tinyurl.com/wd4hsez

The sky looked slightly less than friendly when I got up. While I went through my morning cob web sweep I got one call and a text inquiring if I was going to go on the ride. I had no plans not to. I decided to leave Fritz home due to the meteorological uncertainty. A decision that he took issue with. I got the bike loaded with all the necessary junk for the ride and woke Lil Suzi up. I got about halfway to the Rodeway Inn when I glanced at my watch, only to realize that I was an hour early. I guess all the cobwebs were not yet gone. I looped around to 9th and went back home to wait out the rest of the time. Fritz liked the idea, but was again crushed when I left without him. I had gassed up on Monday, but owing to having run a few errands over the past two days there was a little concern about my fuel supply. Throwing caution to the wind I didn't bother to top off. I got to the launch site to find Terry already there. I was wondering if anyone else was going to show but my fears were allayed when I saw several others roll in. After some good old fashioned tire kicking it came to launch time. I was second behind Terry as we hit the road and Suzi seemed particularly happy to be out. I had just replaced a fork seal but I held off on the other one as it didn't appear to be leaking. I did change oil in that leg just so I'd have the same oil in both legs. Unfortunately when I filled it I neglected to replace the drain plug. I'm sure glad I have a good supply of oil dry. Be that as it may, we were cruising down K4 toward Gypsum when Susi's most annoying trait reared it's ugly head. At certain speeds the keys start to vibrate on the handle bar and the incessant jingling drives me nuts. So I was fiddling with the keys to position them to stop the noise before I ran amok and shoved the bike over a cliff. The next thing I know is the keys are sliding down the tank and headed for the road. :shock: I managed to thwart their escape. Now trying to keep my speed up with my right hand and fumbling with the keys with my next to useless left hand trying to get them back into the ignition switch before they depart for parts unknown. Key back in the ignition and the jingle stopped I vowed to not touch them again until we get to Durham. We opted to head south out of Gypsum to Roxbury then east to K15. About half way there Kurt Keeler came blasting into the lead. I could see the heat ripples from his after burners as he passed me. He likes a more spirited pace. Rolling into Durham we found a fair number of bikes there. There was lots of tire kicking going on and despite the less than friendly sky there was no rain. YET. I got all the shots and planted my but to enjoy a good meal. About then is when the rain started. It was then that I resigned myself to getting wet. :roll: I didn't let that dissuade me from enjoying my burger and tots. The strawberry rhubarb pie was very tempting, but I'm on a roll with my diet and I didn't want to throw a monkey wrench in that. All bellies full we started to filter out. Most of us hung out under the overhang waiting to see what the rain was going to do. A few geared up in their rain suits and headed out, but not having anything pressing at home I sat it out with the others that decided to do the same. I've always found that wearing a rain suit was less comfortable than getting wet. It looked like the rain was starting to let up and before long it did just that. I fired up and checked my gas gauge. Reading about half tank I figured I could get back to Salina on what I had. However not feeling too adventurous I opted to top off at the station in Durham. Both bellies full and back on the road Suzi was singing quite happily and we were both thoroughly enjoying the ride. Just for variety I went up to K4 and took that back to Gypsum. About halfway between Gypsum and Salina it started to sprinkle ever so slightly the rest of the way back. But that was all the rain I encountered. I checked the left fork leg and came to the realization that I should have changed that seal while I had it apart. :x Well I guess I have tomorrow planned. :roll:
Horse Hack.jpg
Attachments
102_7035.JPG
102_7036.JPG
102_7037.JPG
102_7038.JPG
102_7039.JPG
102_7040.JPG
102_7041.JPG
102_7042.JPG
102_7043.JPG
102_7044.JPG