North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 10/14/20

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 10/14/20

Post by Roadpounder »

This one's a real blast from the past. We haven't been here in 9 years. :o Looking back through the archives for the pictures I found most of them were lost, so I couldn't tell if I was there. But then I'm not always sure I'm here. :? Back in August of 11 I was spending most of my time in KC having most of my fluids changed, so I was mostly out of circulation. :roll: Judging by their Facebook site and what Richard wrote about the place they have some pretty good eats. The weatherman is promising a really great day, so I'm looking forward to a good ride.

Once again I missed the mark and forgot to list the time. :oops: Fortunately Duane Zook caught it and brought it to my attention. Here it is.

The think tank had a pretty good turn out this morning. We managed to redesign several aspects of various bikes and still the powers that be ignore our wisdom. So we turned to the more weighty topics of the day and established a time and place for our departure. We will be leaving from the Iron Skillet @ 9:45.

Time .........11:00

Here's the place......................Miss Maries Diner
101 Parallel
Clifton, Kansas 66937

785-455-2010

Facebook Page.....https://www.facebook.com/Miss-Maries-Di ... 3603358323

Web Page.............

Map site...........https://tinyurl.com/wd4hsez

WOW!! What a day! It started out pretty normally. I got the bike ready and loaded Fritz. We headed out to the Iron Skillet. Arriving about 25 minutes before launch time we waited, and waited, and waited, until I started my usual second guessing my posted time. About 5 minutes Kurt and Mandy Keeler rolled in. That set my mind at ease. A few minutes later Jerry Jellison arrived. That pretty made up the Salina crowd. We launched with Kurt in the lead. He didn't take the exact route that I in mind but it turned out to be more scenic and enjoyable. We eventually got to Frontier road and headed north. Before too long we come up to an intersection which was heavily populated with ROMEOs. I immediately thought OMG I hope it isn't an accident! As we pulled up I didn't see any bikes on their sides or riders lying on the ground. I queried as to the reason for the convention. As it turned out Chuck Reinhardt's bike had broken down. Being the chief wrench slinger on scene I started to assess the situation. At first the drive belt was pretty chewed up and upon closer inspection, about midway between the pulleys it was twisted at a weird angle. We decided to do a little exploratory surgery. The front pulley cover is held on by TORX screws, requiring a special driver to remove. The ONE tool I didn't have in my extensive tool kit. Randy Hulis to the rescue! He had the tool that I was lacking. I got the cover off only to find the front pulley barely clinging to the output shaft, with the bolt that's supposed to secure it firmly fused on the cover that I just removed. WELL! THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM! This bike isn't going anywhere! At least not under it's own power. After some short deliberation We decided that I would head back to Salina to get my truck in order to affect a rescue. My truck needed a good run to charge the battery anyway. Chuck would stay with the bike. Randy couldn't see Chuck staying there by himself, so he stayed also. Back in Salina I loaded the truck with all the necessary flotsam and jetsam to load the bike on the truck. About 20 miles north of Salina my phone rings. It's Dave Nothern. He's with Chuck and would stay with him until I got there. I rolled up on the scene to find Chuck, Dave, Randy and a few others there awaiting my arrival. Chuck couldn't have picked a better place to break down. There was a wide and shallow ditch that I could pull in to which made loading the bike pretty easy. I got the ramps set up and everyone ganged up on the bike to push it onto the truck. I got the bike tied down and we deliberated over where to go for lunch. Since our destination, Miss Maries Diner, was going to be closed in a half hour, we opted for DKs Bar and Grill in Miltonvale. We headed out with Dave in the lead Chuck and I in tow, and Randy bringing up the rear. Their special for the day was chicken fried steak, which we all opted for. It was quite tasty and plentiful. None of us left hungry, and I was fed for the day making the pot roast that I had in the crock pot a moot point. All bellies full we all launched off in our own directions. Chuck and I hit 81 southbound and all was well. UNTIL I looked at my speedo and it was creeping up on 80 MPH. I never drive that truck over 65. Anything above that and I better have an uncle in the oil business. Gas mileage falls off a cliff. Thinking my cruise control had run away I hit cancel. No good. Hitting the brake to cancel it proved fruitless. I turned the key off to kill all power to the cruise. Turned it back on and the acceleration continued. Turned it off again and put the truck in neutral. Restarted the engine and it revved out of control. I turned the engine off again and coasted over to the shoulder to asses the situation. I popped the hood and saw the throttle was stuck. I fiddled with it and got it to come loose. We fired up and pressed on. All seemed normal except there seemed to be a little excess vibration. Thoughts of a bad tire floated around in my head. I kept going hoping that the tire would hang in there until I got home. Guess again! BANG, rumble, rumble. I pulled over again and found the right rear tire had come unglued and shed its tread. It was still holding air, but the tread had left for parts unknown. Super glue and duct tape won't fix this one. Now I'm not sure if the jack is on the truck. If not I can't jack it up or get the spare tire out. After a brief search I not only found a jack, but I found 2 jacks. Pooling our efforts, Chuck and I got the tire changed and pressed on. I admonished Chuck to keep an eye on the sky for falling meteors, because I was sure that would be the next disaster to befall us. That or possibly a toilet from an abandoned spacecraft. Contrary to my fears the remainder of the adventure was uneventful. I dropped Chuck off at his place and hauled his bike over to mine to assess the damage. Back at home I brewed up a tall glass of tea and collapsed in a heap in my recliner.
Theres Your Problem.png
Theres Your Problem.png (359.32 KiB) Viewed 520 times