North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 11/23/16

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 11/23/16

Post by Roadpounder »

After several attempts to get in contact with this place, everything short of smoke signals, I finally made contact. It was mostly due to not knowing their hours. We were here just a year ago and it turned out quite well and I'm sure it will again. Not all too long age we went by this place on another ride and it jogged my memory. The weather is forecast to be a little cool with a high of 57. But on the up side it will be sunny all day if the weather prophets are any where near accurate. :?

There was a slight hiccough in the weather prophets prediction. It seems that the temp will be slightly cooler for tomorrow. My latest information is a high of 52. In any case the Salina contingent will be launching from The Iron Skillet at 9:30. It's Osborn or bust.

TIME....................11:30

Here it is.............. Circle Cafe
1108 W. Hwy 24
Osborne, Kansas 67473
785-346-9444

Map site.............http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc
101_0097.JPG
After seeing Tuesday cloudy and cold all day I woke on Wednesday more than a little suspicious of the weather. True to my feelings I looked out the window to see the same, casting doubt on the ride to Osborn. One look at the thermometer verified that Leo was going to sit this one out with Fritz. Feeling that my heart wasn't totally in this I continued to prepare to meet the day. I had most of the tedious tasks done the day before and really just had to prepare myself physically and mentally. I launched for the Iron Skillet at 9:00 for the 9:30 launch time. Bracing against the cold I was starting to lament not searching more diligently for my gloves, but figured I could tough it out. I was the first one to the Skillet and around 9:15 I decided that if I were the only one to show I'd go home and call the restaurant and tell them not to expect many, if any to show owing to the temperature. Shortly Terry rolled up and I knew at least I wasn't alone. While
Terry and I discussed the ride my Phone rang. Fully expecting it to be one of my daily robo calls I was pleasantly surprised to find Diesel Dave on the other end asking about the ride. He was getting a late start so he decided to join up with us as we came through Tescottt. During the call John Crandall rolled in. Seeing that I was sans gloves he offered me one of his two extra pair that he had. That made the ride much more enjoyable. Launching northbound we turned west on K18. Terry was in the lead, I took second place and John brought up the rear. A few miles into K18 Terry pulled over at an intersection. He explained that he was going to wait on Bruce Shields who said he would meet us there. Terry had caught sight of Dave turning onto K18 heading for Tescott and with John in the lead he and I headed on toward our rendezvous with Dave. True to his word Dave was waiting for us and as we passed he fell in trail. It wasn't long past Tescott when the clouds started breaking up and the sun came out. Although it did make the ride more pleasant, it didn't do much for the temperature. A few miles later Terry came rocketing by and retook the lead the rest of the way to Osborn. While cruising down K18 I spotted two bikes off ahead of us and we were slowly gaining on them. I suspected they might be ROMEOs but I didn't recognize the bikes from that distance. It wasn't until we rolled into Osborn that I recognized Delberts bike and when we got the restaurant I found out he was riding with Rob Bird. That brought our total to 6. A little short of the 20 -30 I estimated. There was a little tire kicking, but it didn't take long for us to seek some warmth and went inside to eat. We were all pretty settled when I realized I had left the sign in book on my bike and went outside to get it. On the way back in I saw Leon pull in and getting back to the dining room I found Ken had arrived bringing our total contingent to 8. Those who didn't make the ride missed out on some great fried chicken and Salsbury steak. While the waitress was taming our orders she recognized us from an earlier visit. However not at the Circle Inn Cafe. As it turned out she was the waitress who served us at the Bull City Cafe in Alton last June and now works at the Circle Inn. All bellies full we filed outside for some more tire kicking and lie swapping. Those of us who needed gas decided to head out to the local station. My Guzzi being fussy about having 91 octane I had to go to a farther gas station to find it. As I was finishing gassing up Diesel Dave pulled up to the other side of the pump that I was at and handed me a glove and asked if it was mine. I immediately recognized it as one of the ones that John had loaned me. OH Great! Now I owe John a pair of gloves! I had taken them out of the trunk and placed them on the luggage rack and forgot about them. Dave said that he only found one about a block from the restaurant. I decided to backtrack to look for the other one. All the way back I searched in vane for the wayward glove. When I approached the intersection where the restaurant is I spotted it in the parking lot. Relieved and retrieving it I headed back to the gas station to join the caravan headed back home. There were 6 of us who left together with Terry in the lead followed by Dave then I. We rolled into Hunter for a stretch break. While there I stopped in at the Hunter Cafe to let them know who we are and that we would be making a stop by their place one of these days. They usually have a church group that meets there on Wednesday so I decided to be flexible and told them we could make it on a different day. Terry advised us that he was going to stop and visit relatives on the way back which left Dave in the lead and me in full lemming mode followed him. The route back was quite scenic and hilly making for a pleasant ride, especially since the temps had moderated a bit. After Terry had pulled off, Dave took the lead and I followed like the good little Lemming that I am, with the others in tow. Pulling through Minneapolis we somehow lost the three who were behind me. I just faithfully followed Dave back to Salina where we parted at Crawford and Willow. I pulled into my garage and checked my mail, just in case that Nigerian prince came through with the $10,000,000 he promised me. He hasn't yet.
Last edited by Roadpounder on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Richard

Re: North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 11/23/16

Post by Richard »

bump up