North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 10/12/16

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 10/12/16

Post by Roadpounder »

It looks like I'm on my game this week. I have us set for a long ride and the weatherman is promising a good day with mild temps. But after all it is early fall. We haven't been here for about a year and a half, but the recent reviews look pretty good, with one guy even stopping in mid meal to write his review.

TIME....................1:00

Here it is.............. Ricky's Cafe
323 E North St
Hanover, Kansas 66945
(785) 337-8903

Facebook page........ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rickys-C ... 38?fref=ts
===============================================================================================
WARNING!! DISREGARD EVERYTHING ABOVE THE BLUE LINE!!
MAJOR FAUX PAS! WE WERE JUST AT RICKY'S LAST MONTH!! It slipped by me and my data base wasn't updated because I was in Missouri for that one. I have another place in mind that we haven't been to for a couple of years, but I can't set it up til tomorrow when they're open. :oops: Thanks to John Crandall for a good catch.

The damage has been repaired. We're set up for "That New Place" in Olmitz. We were last there 2 years ago and as I remember it was a good time.

Bring a jacket. It might be a little cool tomorrow. Our world peace summit concluded with a decision to leave from the Quality Inn at 10:00. Burgers be ware.

TIME....................12:30

Here it is.............. That "New" Place
309 Main St
Olmitz, KS 67564
(620) 586-3234

Facebook page........ https://www.facebook.com/thatnewplaceolmitz/

Map site.............http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc

Old man winter gave us a taste of things to come today. The dogs got me up at 5:45 and the temperature was 37. Inside it was 57. Time to turn the heat on and burn the dust out of the furnace. I looked at the weather and it looked OK from a precipitation stand point, but the forecast high was 52. I continued shaking the cobwebs out and braced myself for a brisk ride. I didn't make a big deal of what day it was to avoid having to contend with a wiener dog exploding with excitement. Being as cold as it was I thought it best for Leo to sit this one out.

Flashback to a few days earlier. While cruising through the post from our last visit to That New Place I noticed a picture with some T shirts hanging on the wall. One looked strangely familiar. I came to the realization that I have that shirt, but I hadn't seen it for a while. I thought it would be novel to wear it on the ride to Olmitz. I started searching every nook and cranny of the house, coming up empty. I must have made four or five trips through my copious collection of T shirts to no avail. As the day grew closer the stress level rose. Where on earth can it be? This house isn't that big. I was even considering calling my niece to see if maybe it got mixed up with her laundry. On Sunday I spotted my overnight bag. Could it be in there? I haven't used that in over a year! I grabbed it and started unzipping compartments. This thing has more zippers than Levi Strauss! I finally came to the last zipper. Lo and behold there sat the shirt neatly folded for the last year or so. I've often wondered why it is that when you're searching for something you always find it in the last place you look. Inquiring minds want to know. Relieved I threw it into the laundry basket to be sure I'd have it for the ride.

Back to today. I donned my gray hoodie to go to gas the bike up. By the time I got the bike out of the garage I caved and realized that the hoodie wasn't going to cut it. My heart sank at the prospect of a blanket of white covering in the not to distant future. There are few things that I loathe more than snow.

The Salina contingent gathered at the Quality Inn with Emory and Dave there when I rolled in. At least I remembered extra batteries for the camera this time. Last week I had to buy some from the convenience store and I almost had to take out a second mortgage. It wasn't long before more rolled in and we had a total of about 6. We were debating over the various routes to take some being more scenic than other others. After several minutes of deliberation I made an executive decision. Owing to the temperature, or the lack thereof, I decided expediency trumped scenery and we decided to take the most direct route. The down side of this route was the two bridges on K140 that seem to be under eternal construction. We managed to negotiate those and the rest of the ride was smooth.

My recollection of the restaurant was pretty good, but not so much for the town. As we pulled into Olmitz we were met with the side streets sans pavement. That's no issue for me as it just adds to the rustic charm. We parked across the street from the restaurant. The building was smaller than I remembered , but once I got inside it all came back to me. Last time we pretty well packed the place to capacity. That was just 2 years ago. The weather was a little warmer then. This time we were a little smaller with a total 14 signed in. When I was flying a trip like this was referred to as going out for the $100 hamburger. We would rent a plane to fly to some small airport for lunch and fly back. Airplane rental isn't cheap, so hence, the $100 hamburger. Much like the ROMEOs it was an excuse to go flying. But I must say that the burgers at THAT NEW PLACE were worth the trip.

Bellies full, we staggered outside for a little tire kicking. As the crowd thinned I joined up with Richard to take K4 back to avoid the construction. A quick stop in Claflin to gas up and we were back on the road. We eventually caught up to Leon and the 3 of us pressed on to Lindsborg where I peeled off on Burma road for the last leg to home. I was welcomed home by two overjoyed dogs relieved that they actually were not abandoned. It was a good, albeit chilly, ride.

We had 14 riders from Salina, Lake Wilson, Lindsborg, and Canton. Delbert was our long distance voyager from Canton 99 miles.

We were riding Honda, Harley, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, CanAm, and Moto Guzzi.

directions.jpg
directions.jpg (48.32 KiB) Viewed 324 times
Attachments
101_1701.JPG
101_1702.JPG
101_1703.JPG
101_1704.JPG
101_1705.JPG
101_1706.JPG
101_1707.JPG
101_1708.JPG
101_1709.JPG
101_1710.JPG
101_1711.JPG
101_1712.JPG
101_1713.JPG
101_1714.JPG
101_1716.JPG
101_1717.JPG
101_1718.JPG
101_1719.JPG
101_1720.JPG
101_1721.JPG
101_1722.JPG
101_1723.JPG
101_1724.JPG
101_1725.JPG
101_1726.JPG
101_1727.JPG
101_1728.JPG
101_1729.JPG
Last edited by Roadpounder on Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Richard

Re: North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 10/12/16

Post by Richard »

chrono adjust