Make sure you visit Guthrie's Mound in Mapleton, KS

The place to discuss anything under the sun.
JerryM100

Make sure you visit Guthrie's Mound in Mapleton, KS

Post by JerryM100 »

I can't recall where I saw this article before, but it is timely now. Another guy sent it to me (Thanks Eddie!) since he heard we were going down to Mapleton. Here is the article from the Kansas City Star - dated December, 1995.

The Kansas City Star
December 24, 1995
Column: JAMES J. FISHER
Dying man's curse apparently not idle
Author: JAMES J. FISHER

Article Text:

MAPLETON, Kan. - This being Christmas Eve, how about an antidote to the syrup now flowing copiously in news columns?
Such as a good old-fashioned curse.

The malediction, some here would say, led to fires, bankruptcy, violent death and tornadic weather.
Granted, such events are not exactly in the Christmas spirit.

But guess what? Except for this season, such occurrences are the mother's milk of the media. Headlines. Breathless commentary. And, above all, the introduction of more of those new favorites - victims.

The first of which was one John Guthrie, a young schoolteacher riding a horse south of Mapleton on Feb. 5, 1860.
The exact locale of Guthrie's travels was on what then was called Tigret's Mound or Timber Hill, a bowl-shaped promontory that rises dramatically from the flatlands a mile and a half south of the town.

Mapleton, now just some homes, a church and a convenience store, is in Timber Hill township.

Anyway, Guthrie was meandering along when one of three things happened - you choose the one you want to subscribe to:
He was seized by pro-slavery thugs and accused of being a horse thief and, worse yet, a free-stater.
Or, he arrived at school when a stranger approached, asked Guthrie to hold his horse, then disappeared. A posse arrived soon after, took Guthrie and accused him of stealing the horse.
And finally, Guthrie was nabbed by a posse despite his protestations that he'd rented the horse at a livery in Osawatomie, Kan. This last version also has the stable owner saying that, indeed, the nag was on lease. The confirmation, unfortunately, came sometime later.

In all three versions, the young man ends up hanged - either from an elm or oak tree - and to this day the hill is known as Guthrie's Mound.

The legend went that as Guthrie was strung up, he laid a curse on the posse and predicted a violent death for each member.
Which is allegedly what happened. The specifics are fuzzy because folks, even back then, didn't go around boasting they'd been a member of a lynch mob.

But old-timers, those in the know, said years later that the curse had come true. To a man, those who watched Guthrie swing did not die in bed.

The exact wording of Guthrie's curse also has been a matter of interest. No one knows exactly what he said since nobody ever 'fessed up to being there. Besides, those then in Kansas weren't prone to take pen in hand and write down a man's imprecations as he looked at a length of hemp.

Did Guthrie include more than his killers in his curse?

One might think so.

A few years after the hanging, residents, by then living in a busy little town, gathered for a picnic on Guthrie Mound. It was a clear, warm day, but no sooner had the celebration started than a high wind arose, rain clouds appeared and a storm lashed the revelers all the way back to Mapleton and shelter.

A few years later a group of men formed what was called the Guthrie Mountain Cement Co., thinking to capitalize on the limestone underlying the land. Guthrie Mound - ``mountain'' sounded better on stock certificates - looked promising.

Corporate papers were issued, fees were paid and stock was sold among locals.

Naturally, the company went bankrupt before it ever moved a yard of earth.
Then there were the fires.

Mapleton has burned three times - 1895, 1913 and 1949. Not little fires, either. Whole blocks of buildings, and the businesses occupying them were consumed.

Which, if one follows the fortunes of small Kansas town - ones without railroads or major highways - is generally fatal.

Fire, as much as kids moving to the city, the disappearance of the small farm, school consolidation and the loss of a grocery and a post office - is the killer of towns along county and state roads.

Guthrie Mound is unchanged after 135 years. This time of year it is dark and brooding, black trees against snow, a reminder that death on a hilltop long ago doesn't always mean ascension later.

Caption:
Graphic (map)
Copyright 1995, 1996 The Kansas City Star Co.
Record Number: 336660
Jerry M
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
ImageImageImage
ajayhawkfan

Re: Make sure you visti Guthrie's Mound in Mapleton, KS

Post by ajayhawkfan »

I'm going to be in WV this week, if I was not I would get off work to join you.

The Mapleton Cafe started off as a convenience store that served some food. The food overtook the c store (you can still get some basics there) and a few years ago they expanded. This is a good cafe in a non incorporated town in Bourbon County, KS.

Not far from Mapleton is was the battle of Mine Creek in the War of Northern Aggression, near Pleasanton, KS, just of 69. Mound City, KS has the second oldest, continually operated courthouse in KS and is worth riding by. Fort Scott is not far and also worth visiting.

I run a cattle ranch nearby and have eaten here many times. I had breakfast there both Saturday and Sunday. The cafe is worth visiting as it the area. Enjoy it. I wish I was able to join you.
JerryM100

Re: Make sure you visti Guthrie's Mound in Mapleton, KS

Post by JerryM100 »

Thanks, Eddie! Sorry we will miss you. Here are some references to the Battle of Mine Creek and the history of Bourbon County.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mine_Creek

http://www.kshs.org/portraits/bourbon_county.htm

Jerry in KC
Jerry M
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
ImageImageImage