I had a motorcycle accident on 12 May 2017

The place to discuss anything under the sun.
kai61

I had a motorcycle accident on 12 May 2017

Post by kai61 »

The reason you guys and gals haven't seen me in awhile is because I had a motorcycle accident on 12 May on my way to Illinois for a camping trip I was invited to.

0n 12 May, I was on my way to my weekend camping trip to Vienna, Illinois for the Trail of Tears with the IBMC. My front tire blew out as I was almost to the Toll Booth east of Lawrence, KS. Course I was towing my MiniMate Camper Trailer. I felt that "riding ice feeling " when you first loose the pressure in your tire. I must have ridden over something that punctured my tire. I just had a new front tire installed 4 days before my trip. It was the front tire that blew. . I was fortunate that I was slowing down from 70 mph to 20 when I felt my bike get squirrelly. Jiggling from left to right and with almost no control of the handle bars. I release the bike from the gear and slowing started pumping my rear brakes to get to slow down. I think I got it down to 25-20 mph when my front tire jerked to left and the bike went down. I was lucky or blessed that everyone else was slowing down at the toll booth, otherwise People would have run me over. People stopped to help and asked me if I was okay and helped me get my bike and trailer to the side of the highway. Highway Patrol arrived and took my statement. I think I am quite blessed to have walked away with me still breathing. My bike and Trailer on a tow truck.

******************* a week after the wreck****************

To update what happened on my motorcycle accident. Insurance lady came by. She also rides so she understood everything I was telling her. She went to go look at the bike. She had the shop I have my bike at, put the tire back on the rim and see if I had run into something that caused the blowout. What they found is that my valve stem failed and when enough pressure escaped it cause the tire to unbead . That's why it felt like a blow out. Wow, that's good to know. I check my tire pressure all the time before I go out. It would be simple to check your valve stem by squirting soapy water around the stem to see if it is leaking. Either way, I thank God that I am still alive to tell ya'll about it.

BTW, the picture you see of my bike and Minimate Camper Trailer is on the tow truck.

I also bought TPMS Units for my tires. That way my pressure is always being monitored.

Insurance lady said that there is about 7070.00 worth of damage.

My bike and camper trailer on a tow truck after accident.
Image Image
May the Son embrace you and the Wind always smile upon you…
Parkville Rider

Re: I had a motorcycle accident on 12 May 2017

Post by Parkville Rider »

Glad you came through this experience without injury. Thanks for sharing your story and hope you get back on the road soon.
Gary D.
a.k.a. Romeo Map Genie
Parkville MO
2014 BMW K1600GT
kai61

Post by kai61 »

Thanks Gary !!! :)
merrill

Post by merrill »

Kia we are so glad you are ok look forward seeing you on the road soon. Harold jr. and Joanie from hoyt
joetnks

Post by joetnks »

wow...sorry to hear about the bike but sure glad you came out of that ok. Hopefully you'll be back on the road soon.
Bob K.

Post by Bob K. »

Sorry to hear of the accident, so glad you are OK. We talked down at the Romeo Rendezvous. Bob and Wanda, Claycomo.
Connie

Post by Connie »

OH MY GOODNESS!! God sure had an angel riding on your shoulder that day. We don't even want to think about you having a flat tire at 60 mph! It really opens our eyes to know how much our lives can be changed in a split second. I am so very glad that you are okay.
kai61

Post by kai61 »

Thanks everyone. I am blessed that I am alive and doing well. I tried to ride last weekend on my other bike and felt skittish. But I wanted to get on and ride before it turned into me selling the bikes. I was thinking of going a trike kit... :) at least one of my bikes for when I tow my camper trailer when I want to go camping with my camping buddies !!!