Major Forums Upgrade - done!

The place to discuss anything under the sun.
JerryM100

Major Forums Upgrade - done!

Post by JerryM100 »

Ok, guys, sorry for the inconvenience, but the forums update/upgrade is done now and everything seems to be working. The posting issue is fixed along with a lot of other behind-the-scenes issues. For most users the upgrade will be transparent - no major changes to the way we operate.

One thing I noticed is that in posts with a lot of pictures some of the pics didn't get synchronized in the database. It looks like they are there but they are not displayed. In a couple of posts if I edited them and changed to them to "inline" they work. Otherwise I think we may have to live with it.

What I did was create an entirely new application and then move the old database and files and configuration details into the new application. That gives me a completely clean platform to move forward with in the future. Next I will add various extensions/add-ons one by one to improve it. For example, the stars by your name to show how long you have been a member.

Another benefit is a more robust spam checking filter to keep bots and hackers from creating accounts automatically from China and Russia and other nefarious places. That has been such a problem that I had to completely turn off new user registrations over the last several months. I will turn registrations back on and watch and see how it goes.

Let me know if you encounter errors but I think we are pretty clean now. So post all your rides and pictures and experiences to your hearts content! That what this is here for!!
swanee

Re: Major Forums Upgrade - done!

Post by swanee »

Thanks Jerry, appreciate your efforts :!:

Just a heads up for anybody who might get display problems on the Forum Index pages using Chrome browser: This was happening on both my Android tablet and Linux desktop today. You may have incompatible cookie hanging around from pre-upgrade version. Cleared cookies and now working fine 8-)

schoolmaster

Post by schoolmaster »

Jerry,
After trying numerous fixes to refresh my browser (Safari) and eliminate the icons covering the following forum home page with no success, I went in and cleared the cookies remaining from the old browser and that did the trick. Thanks to you and Swanee I think I'm back up and running!
Mick
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster
swanee

Post by swanee »

Interesting Mick. That's the same thing I was getting but my jurassic iPad did not require a cookie flush (that's the only thing I use Safari on).