How do you start a ROMEO Group?

The place to discuss anything under the sun.
shoresr

How do you start a ROMEO Group?

Post by shoresr »

How are you guys? I sure miss the ROMEOs. I would really like to start a Phoenix chapter and I am sure that there are plenty of senior riders here that would like to join. Can you suggest any way to do that?

Could I place an ad so that anyone who stumbles across the ROMEO website in the Phoenix area might email me? I am open to suggestions.

Danny Drungilas

I received the above email from Danny. Danny used to ride with the Kansas City Area Romeos and has now moved to Arizona. We have received several emails simular to this. It is not an easy question to answer and I thought it might be something several of you might have thoughts about. We know when it works but it is difficut to tell someone have we got to where we are. There are a couple of groups that have asked Jerry to add to the website, but are obviously having trouble getting started.

Maybe you have some suggestions that would help Danny or these other groups.
Iron Butt 2014 008.JPG
If you would like to contact directly Danny, his email is danny@drungilas.com
JerryM100

Re: How do you start a ROMEO Group?

Post by JerryM100 »

Greetings, Danny, I haven't seen you for a while now, since you and I both moved from Kansas. Hope you are enjoying Phoenix! Let me answer your question and in a way that helps others who may be thinking about starting a ROMEO group now or in the future.

First, an introduction, since there are many new people that find us here, I am the creator and administrator of the website and these discussion forums. I started the Kansas City group and when my wife informed me that we were moving south I handed it over to Roger. The various ride coordinators do all the work and I just make sure the bills are paid here. But as the admin I manage things here and have the ability to create new ride groups.

While it is simple for me to create a ride group ("sub-forum") the hard part is, again, the ride coordinator. So many groups have started but can't seem to get a "spark" or enough of their friends to start following their ride announcements. The group's forum languishes and eventually I turn it off. For that reason I am a little reluctant to create new groups unless they have some track record of meeting.

What that means is that I would like to see a potential new group post some rides in the General Discussion forum, or else email me that they have half a dozen or so friends that they regularly meet with. Someone needs to take charge and demonstrate their initiative to pick a destination and get their friends to meet there, and more than once. Preferably over several weeks or months.

The list of riding groups, or regions, or areas, is getting long. If I add a few more groups or forums I am going to have to rearrange the main page into sub-pages which will confuse many of our long-time riders. So I would like to see an established core of riders with a committed ride coordinator before I create any more groups.

I encourage anyone, anywhere, to try it! This is a great way to motivate people get out and ride and meet others. There is no cost, no obligations, no structure, no politics, no dues, nothing but a place to ride to eat and meet others there and on a regular basis.

Feel free to email me or use the contact form to ask questions about the process or request a new group.

Jerry M
Jerry M
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
ImageImageImage
Richard

Post by Richard »

Jerry - If you still have the email I sent you some time ago I answered this same question in quite some detail. See if you can retrieve it from my response to you for the guy wanting to start one in Nebraska. Richard
JerryM100

Post by JerryM100 »

I'll search for that, Richard, thank you for the reminder!